5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing album
I always wait a week to review the Deftones. As I am a shameless hardcore fan, I always think every new release is the greatest record ever. After seven days or so I generally calm down a little.

Published on 10 Nov 2006 by Mr. David Childs

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm.
This is a solid album with good contrasts between mid-intensity metal and hardcore flailing (Rats! Rats! Rats!, Rapture) but i've knocked off one star for the juvenile and cheap skit Pink Cellphone, it's an inconsiderate cliched generalisation about British people, and i won't be surprised when they don't play it on any tours over here.
Published on 27 Oct 2006 by Ben Mccann

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing album, 10 Nov 2006
Mr. David Childs (NW England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saturday Night Wrist (Audio CD)

With the previous record I was a little disappointed. It lacked melody for me and there were too many songs that just drifted along. There were also not enough stand out tracks.

However, with the new album, this has all changed. Aggression and melody are fused perfectly. I have not had to press the track forward button once. Every song is brilliant. I can't pick out favourites as every song is great

Chino has one the most original vocals in modern music.

I am also a big fan of the Abe Cunningham as well, his drumming is immense.

Buy it now. No excuses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deftones return to their triumphant best!, 7 Nov 2006
J. Rogers (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saturday Night Wrist (Audio CD)
Many people were disappointed with the boys' previous offering and thought Deftones couldn't again equal their finest moments which, in my opinion, were found on White Pony. Well, they have. This album is what we all love about that Deftones sound and style but this time they seem to have taken it to a new level. If you want atmosphere then you've got in abundance. Every track oozes class and there seems to be a new diversity shining through which you may not have heard on the previous albums. Deftones have always been a kind of "aquired taste" but even my once R&B/Soul listening partner and my 10 yr old daughter both sat in revered silence when I played Saturday Night Wrist to them and duly converted them to the cause. The bottom line is if you like Deftones, buy this now. If you don't like them, buy it anyway and give it a listen. And even though I'm British, I didn't take offence to the insinuation that we all have bad teeth!!! "Pink Cellphone" will reveal the answer to that but that's one track that definately was not played to my daughter!

4.0 out of 5 stars Trademark deftones with some great suprises, 30 Oct 2006
T. Murray (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saturday Night Wrist (Audio CD)
After being a deftones fan since the begninning i can say this album is just brilliant, i respect the fact they've always done what they want and not cared about what people will think with their music. I wouldn't want one of my favourite bands to produce the same album over and over again. This album is full of great moments - abe's tight grooves and downbeats, chino's soaring vocals to steph's trademark downtuned dark chords that hit you right in the chest. The one thing that spoils it for me is 'pink cellphone', i like the style of the track but when the women starts talking about, well you know, its just not something i want to hear to be honest. But you know what, i'm not bothered anymore because it's very rare that a bands 5th album is as good as they're previous. This is a truly wonderful album and a must have for all deftones fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful noise!!!, 5 Jan 2007
G. J. Conway "gazconway1" (Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saturday Night Wrist (Audio CD)
I got this for Christmas (my wife is ace!) and I have listened to bits of it or the whole thing everyday since!!!

This album is (in my opinion) leaps and bounds ahead of any of their other albums, that's not to say I don't like the other albums cos I do, I really do, but Saturday night wrist is so much more mature and exciting!!!

It's like they have taken the best ideas from the B-sides record (the acousticy bits mostly), listened to some Cure, My Bloody Valentine, Mew and then written an album.

My only criticism is the use of The System of a Down bloke on 'Mein', in my opinion his vocal is nowhere near as good as Chino's and maybe someone like Mike Patton would have been better...But hey, what do I know!!!

This is the first CD in a long time to make my spine tingle, nuff said!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 22 Aug 2008
L. D. Hart - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saturday Night Wrist (Audio CD)
I heard somewhere that Josh Homme has spent his whole life trying to make metal music beautiful, and I think that's exactly what Saturday Night Wrist has here. It excels where it mixes heavy, chunky guitar with beautiful and emotive harmony. Chinos voice across this album is flawless and seems to hit every right note immediately where it should in relation to the rest of the song as a whole.

Personally this is my favourite Deftones album and I have them all and have been a fan right from the beginning. I did not think much of it in the beginning, but like all things in life, the things that grow on you are the ones you feel the deepest. It is a polished and refined sound and shows the appropriate maturity of the band.

Buy this album if you are considering it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Deftones offer a more textured approach on fifth album, 12 Nov 2006
Matt Pucci "mattpucci.com" (Here, there and everywhere) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Saturday Night Wrist (Audio CD)
Having emerged during the earliest days of nu-metal, Deftones are one of the few bands that managed to maintain a hugely loyal fan base where others have fallen by the wayside. They side-stepped any genre pigeon-holing and secured their place in many a CD collection in the late nineties and early noughties by blending bludgeoning beats and towering, crunchy riffs with the ethereal, transcendent vocal stylings of singer Chino Moreno, injecting it all with a bold dose of experimentalism.

Since 2003's self-titled album, Moreno has busied himself with the spacey, occasionally sublime, Team Sleep project - much to the chagrin of his other band mates by all accounts. So, what of this then, their long-awaited come-back LP? Well, as lazy as a description as it may sound, Saturday Night Wrist is a cross between that eponymous fourth album and the aforementioned Team Sleep record, in the sense that it combines the calculated heaviness of the former and the unobtrusive 'floatiness' of the latter. But then Deftones have always provided a more subtle, less immediate hit than most, and this is definitely a 'grower'...

There are riffs capable of wrecking your speakers (see: `Rapture', `Rats!Rats!Rats!', `Kimdracula') and Moreno's raging scream-to-soothing croon still reaches parts that other, lesser, singers barely aim for. And while the guest spots from Serj Tankian and Giant Drag's Annie Hardy are diverting enough, it's tracks like the immense lead single `Hole In The Earth' (absolutely classic 'tones), the slow-burning `Beware' and `Cherry Waves' that will really get under your skin and have you coming back to Saturday Night Wrist as often as anything from their impressive back catalogue.

Matt Pucci

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant...and this comes from someone who doesn't like rock, 5 Aug 2008
This review is from: Saturday Night Wrist (Audio CD)
I'm not usually a fan of rock music, and generally think of most bands as pumping out the generic bland American style which lacks any real depth, but Deftones are one of the exceptions. This is rock music, but far more deep and intelligent than other bands produce. Tracks like the excellent U,U,D,D,L,R,L,R,A,B,Select,Start and Riviere really show off the bands mix of styles, Riviere being almost beautiful in nature and is one of the high points of the album. Then you get tracks which are totally different like Pink Cellphone, which I have to say is totally different to everything else I've heard by Deftones and love it

Can't recommend it highly enough

4.0 out of 5 stars A Grower, 10 Sep 2007
LE Dewick - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saturday Night Wrist (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the strength of being utterly hypnotized by 'Cherry Waves' - a dreamy, moving and gorgeously tragic song - having lost my 'Around the Fur' and 'White Pony' albums during a house move a year or so before. It was an absolute pleasure to be seduced by the Deftones all over again, and though this offering is a far cry from much of their earlier material it is still fantastic. 'Hole in the Earth' is a fantastic opener - upbeat and energetic, with it's chorus just begging to be bellowed across any alternative venue worth its salt. 'Rapture' and 'Mein' bring a darker, heavier flavour, with 'Mein' also featuring the instantly recognisable vocals of SOAD's Serge Tankian (though it is a shame his voice is not allowed to warble, growl and spiral up and down the scales in the manner in which he is accustomed). 'Beware' and the aformentioned 'Cherry Waves' are moving, crushing ballads that I defy anyone not to be moved by, while 'Xerces' and 'U,U,D,D,L,R,L,R,Select, Start' allow some introspective, mellow moments. 'Pink Cellphone' starts off great with it's bleepy melody overlaid by Annie's deliciously sexy voice-over, but this is wrecked at the end when she starts a plain ridiculous riff about circumcision and other things I frankly can't discuss here! Apart from this blip this is a deep, involved and complex offering that hard core fans should relish getting in to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Deep, 1 Mar 2007
W. Squire - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saturday Night Wrist (Audio CD)
Im a pretty hardcore tones fan, and I was very impressed by this album.

When the self-titled album came out in 2004, I was a bit let down by the sparse, raw, deductive method of song writing they used, especially considering the amazing melodies and grooves that were used in the amazing subtlty of white pony. Saturday night wrist can be summed up as somewhere in between these two cds. In places its mellow, haunting, slick, and raw. A great album with lots of varied songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars back to school, 7 Nov 2006
This review is from: Saturday Night Wrist (Audio CD)
I suppose most fans either want a return to Adrenaline (the old-schoolers) or to White Pony (all the others), but after the raw 'deftones' and brilliantly varied 'b-sides', 'SNW' is the logical next step for a band incapable of treading familiar territory. Like 'White Pony', it doesn't sink in on first listen, so be prepared to give it some time. Chino Moreno finally stretches his larynx again, not just screaming but hitting those high notes like only he can, and the music flits nicely between heavy and heavenly. A solid return to a form they never really lost... just wandered away from for a while.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Saturday Night Wrist
Saturday Night Wrist by Deftones (Audio CD - 2006)