Format: DVD|Change

on 18 November 2006
I saw this show live during the tour and it's great fun - the performances are excellent. One word of warning though: almost all of the material is repeated from the TV and radio series; this isn't new material. That's a bit of a shame, but some of the sketches they've chosen to repeat really are very good.

If you can look past the repitition or don't know their work, you'll love it. If you can't, you probably won't.
Mitchell & Webb do a great TV series for themselves (Mitchell And Webb Show- 5/5) and they're in other people's great TV series (Peep Show- 5/5). Their radio show is brilliant (Mitchell & Webb Sound- 5/5). They have written a hilarious book (Michell And Webb Book- 5/5). They were in a film (Magicians) which I'd give 5/5 to though a lot of people wouldn't.

A live show on DVD seems to be their achilles heel though. 95% of the material is used in the first Mitchell & Webb Show TV series, and I'm not sure why you'd choose to watch them do it live, with the odd fluffed line and more rushed costume and make-up, when you could watch the first TV series and watch them do it better.

Whereas on radio and in their book they wrote material that's specific to the medium they're writing for, they've not really adapted their material for theatre. There are a couple of exceptions- Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar's explanation of 'the fourth wall' and throwing it open to the audience to ask questions during 'Big Talk', an interesting little flourish of live improv- but apart from that you're really just watching a cheaper, more amateur-looking version of series 1 of the TV show.

The two supporting cast are James Bachman (a regular in their stuff) and Abigail Burdess (who I'd never seen before). They do deserve a special mention for their routines that they openly admit are inserted in order to give Mitchell & Webb time to do their costume changes. Their singing-and-dancing gags are a bit more innocent and childish than the Mitchell & Webb material but they do raise a laugh.

Apart from the Magicians teaser trailer there are no extras.
on 19 October 2008
I like Mitchell and Webb, I really do; I even saw this show live, but the DVD wasn't that impressive.
Yes, it is funnier live and I must say, it was much funnier when I saw it in Peterborough than this version on the DVD; for starters, the audience don't seem to be getting into it and secondly, the participation was greater when I saw it; improv. moments when something was dropped, or the Big Talk segment, in which we had a discussion about the greatest kind of chips, which went Daddies Chips > Chip Shop Chips > Regular Chips.
A lot of the sketches in the live version were from the television series, so there's not much to it, some new sketches based on familiar characters but that's about it.
I'd suggest this DVD if you went to the live show or are a fan of Mitchell and Webb, otherwise, I'd suggest sticking to the TV series.
on 2 June 2016
Some sketches better than others. Love David Mitchell on Would I Lie To You and QI. Not so much on this disc.
on 24 November 2006
I have been to see this show live, and as a result I can honestly say that it was the most hilarious thing i have seen in my life - i had tears rolling down my cheeks the whole time, and nearly fell of my seat more than once. Although most of the material was featured in their TV or radio shows, there was some completely original seketches, and some that had been tweaked for theatre - Numberwang, for example. This DVD would make the perfect gift for anybody with half a sense of humour - i do not beleive anyone will be able to watch this without at some point laughing out loud.
This live DVD mainly consists of material from the TV series - so if you're already familiar with "That Mitchell and Webb Look" then you'll most likely have seen it all before.

Thankfully though we get live performances of many of the strongest sketches ("...we're the baddies!") and the translation from screen to stage works well. For every good sketch though there seems to be a couple of weaker ones.

In a nutshell: This DVD made me titter but it wasn't as funny as I expected it to be. If I'd not seen the TV series then no doubt I'd have enjoyed this more. Additional features are pretty sparse on this DVD with only a trailer for the film Magicians.
on 2 November 2006
I have been a fan of the pairing for a while since series 1 of peep show. So when that mitchell and webb look came out on bbc2 I was excited to say the least. The bbc show in itself is one of the funniest shows ever on tv and has more than just moments of comical genius.

When my friend brought me a leaflet saying that mitchell and webb were doing a show at the Victoria Hall (Stoke) I couldn't believe it and so I instantly booked tickets. It was last night that the show was on and I am still laughing about it. The pair are great on tv but I think they really do excell when it comes to theatre. I would first recommend that if there is a showing near you soon then go get a ticket immediately. Failing this then definitely get the dvd. Hopefully this will pass the time between now and their next tour as I need more mitch and webb.

Keep doing what you do guys, it's genius.
on 15 November 2006
I went to see this show the night it was filmed, it was pure genius. I'll definatly be buying this. It includes some sketches from the 2 faces of mitchell and webb tv show but a lot of new material as well. It also includes the extended version of the song "Table of reds" amazing.
on 24 April 2010
Even though most if not all has been taken off their brillient tv series it still well worth seeing as the live shows has removed that tidyed up image of the original skectches. which gives them a more of a raw edge to them.
on 16 January 2015