4.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but fabulous
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Russell Brand - he's smart, hilarious and weirdly endearing. However, i don't feel that this particular DVD does real justice to his talents.

Although there are some stand-out funny moments here that more than justify buying this DVD, some parts seemed forced and the act as a whole didn't really seem to flow that smoothly...
Published on 9 April 2007 by Ms. H. Hughes

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best but not the disaster its made out to be
I've read so many bad reviews for this DVD and so many of them have said they turned it off after 20 minutes, well there's your problem right there! I think if you don't watch it to the very end then why bother reviewing it! The truth is its not the funniest live stand up of all time but its not the worst either. Being that its his first, a few things can be forgiven like...
Published 18 months ago by Trina

3.0 out of 5 stars First time stand up tour, and boy does it show!, 28 Dec 2006
Mr. J. Alexander "comedy junky" (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Brand: Live [DVD] (DVD)
I loved Russell Brand's show stealing appearance on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross and was expecting great things from this stand up dvd. However, I was sadly disappointed. The key to a good stand up performance is to start well and then carry the audience up to a side splitting crescendo, leaving everyone in tears by the end. Unfortunately, Russell never really gets into any kind of comedy momentum because the jokes that do work are too few and far between. I spent most of this performance sat in silence. I hope he improves for the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Russell Rules, But Brand is Bland., 15 Jan 2007
J. Haines "Benny Zenning" (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Brand: Live [DVD] (DVD)
Unfortunately, considering the extent at which I usually like Mr. Brand, I was sadly disappointed with the DVD.

Having gone to see the show in person, I felt myself somewhat irritated when I saw him pretend to improvise the exact lines he recited at the previous gig. Of course, it is difficult for comics - they cannot be expected to create new material for every gig -, but that does not dismiss his clearly rehearsed moments of pretense improv (in the featured clip on amazon, his example seems to have come off the top of his head, but happens to have featured in other shows). I would've been happy if Russell just performed his act, without pretending to improvse, as I love the man anyway.

Otherwise, of course, the act is good in itself, though not the best at any stretch of the imagination. His appearances on Big Mouth always manage to make me laugh, with his archaic vocabulary, surrealistic style, obscure elocution and bohemian appearance, pleasing me every time, but the content of the tour let me down. It relied too heavily upon the typical views of him - a sex-guru, whom is obsessed with the act.

I love him, but not this show.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing is as degrading and unfunny as Russell Brand's debut DVD., 24 Jun 2012
This review is from: Russell Brand: Live [DVD] (DVD)
Why do people consider him as a great stand-up comic? He's not and this debut stand-up DVD pretty much proves it. It is the most unfunny, degrading, hideous debut stand-up DVD in history. Really appalling!

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm still waiting for the funny parts, 20 Jun 2009
T. Hayward - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Brand: Live [DVD] (DVD)
I had never heard of this comedian but was keen to try something new. I don't think I even had a nostril laugh, you know, when you exhale through your nose and smile at the same time? I watched it all the way through to the end to be fair, then threw it in the bin.
Delivery was fast but the price of the DVD was expensive. It would have been good to have a mini preview clip like the 'look inside' books.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a rip off, 5 Dec 2006
This review is from: Russell Brand: Live [DVD] (DVD)
I love Russell Brand but was quite disappointed with this DVD. He's definitely got gallons of charisma but this show is pretty short and the material quite lazy in that it revolves around things that have happened to him in the media...and I have heard him tell 50% of the stories before in his various radio and TV shows. What new stuff there is on show gets milked until its as dry as a grannies nipple. This is worth watching but not buying...you'd have to be extremely sad to watch it again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mockney Rebel?, 16 May 2007
This review is from: Russell Brand: Live [DVD] (DVD)
When Russell Brand confidently prances onto the stage looking oddly magnificent, you are reminded of the multi-talented Eddie Izzard at his best, Dressed To Kill. Unfortunately the illusion is shattered as soon as the egregious Mr Brand opens his mouth.

Oh don't fret for this fine fellow has words a plenty, some of it in overblown ostentatious Dickensian tones, but the question is, is any of it really worth listening to?

Well... not really. Mr Brand certainly likes the sound of his own voice (and the attention of his adoring fans) but after a short time listening to the accounts of his own life you start to wonder if there is really any purpose to his dull monologue. The show is only an hour long but it still feels like Mr Brand has been over-generous with the filler. At one point (while dwelling on his sexual prowess) he even tells the audience how available he is. Is he that desperate? Apparently so but it doesn't exactly add to his appeal.

The show ends with a scathing attack on the tabloids and their fictional accounts of his life which at least lifts the show out of the nadir it has plunged into and so earns it an extra star.

Mr Brand needs to learn that great comedians have to work hard to achieve their status. You can't just get up on stage and expect people to listen to your endless witterings (my real rating was 2 stars but it was rejected twice so I changed the rating to see if it would be accepted!).

5.0 out of 5 stars The swines !!!!!, 13 Dec 2006
P. J. Matthews (u.k) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Brand: Live [DVD] (DVD)
I brought this dvd out of love for big brothers big mouth,i didnt know much about russell before this ,but being a fan of standup dvd's i'd have to say this rates as good as any i've watched of late. His unique dress sense and mental sense of humour will leave you in stitches .the special features on this dvd are also great including showing his work as an mtv presenter .buy it !!have a laugh !!

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps I was expecting too much...., 1 Feb 2007
K. Morris "karenjmorris2" (Surrey UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Brand: Live [DVD] (DVD)
I am new to Russell Brand, but having heard a radio interview before Christmas, I thought I'd give him a go. Yes, he is funny, undoubtedly, and a curious character, and I did laugh quite a bit. But he does tend to milk the humour somewhat, by repeating over and over, so its not as funny by the fourth or fifth time. Also, there's a lot about sex - not surprisingly perhaps - but quite graphic......just to warn you. Overall, I'm glad I bought it half price - I might feel disappointed if I'd paid full price, but I will look out for more material in the future as I really like him.

5.0 out of 5 stars saw the show live, 19 Nov 2006
Mr. T. Jones - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Brand: Live [DVD] (DVD)
the dvd is from the shepherd's bush empire gig on Nov 9th 2006. The show was brilliant, will be buying this as soon as it comes out.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 15 May 2007
Mrs. V. G. Bishop (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Brand: Live [DVD] (DVD)
first off i was shocked but now after a few times of watching brilliant the best laugh i have had in a long time can't wait to see him live!

ARRAY(0xa718e4e0)

Russell Brand: Live [DVD]
Russell Brand: Live [DVD] by Russell Brand (DVD - 2006)
2.95