Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£256.32+ £1.26 shipping

on 20 June 2012
Another incarnation of the doors back catalogue, but this rather a good one all six studio albums with extra tracks and dvds too. This collection is a must for die hard fans who want to renew worn out discs, or anyone who has admired the band from afar, glad i bought mine when i did though, as the price has increased rather alot.
on 15 June 2014
The above title is the first line in the Introduction written by engineer Bruce Botnick to "The Doors" and indeed applied to the entire box set. Botnick goes on to say "... revel in the renewed experience of the Doors, as they were originally intended to be heard!" I'm afraid I must disagree.

I purchased this box set principally for the DVD content, which for the record contains 5.1 surround sound mixes (96kHz, 24 bit PCM) and new stereo mixes (also at 96 kHz, 24 bit PCM) with bonus tracks and some video content. Surround sound wasn't available when The Doors first recorded these albums, so as far as I'm concerned Botnick and The Doors have a free hand in creating these mixes. My issue is with the new stereo mixes. A number of albums, e.g. Jethro Tull's Aqualung have been remixed and released in a Hi-Def format; but whilst the artist/engineer have used the modern technology to correct any technical imperfections in the original master, such as tape players playing at the wrong speed, they have remained faithful to the intent of the original version.

The new stereo mixes (and surround sound mixes) of The Doors albums do not. Some examples: on the original version of "Break On Through", Jim sings "she gets -, she gets -, she gets -", whereas in the new mix is it "she gets high". This is the only example where I agree with Bruce Botnick's introductory comments about being it being how The Doors should originally have sounded. Numerous other tracks on all the albums have bits of studio chatter at the start/end of the track, e.g. Paul Rothchild announcing the take number, or saying "that's the arse end of it"! WHY? What does this add? Also noticeable on many tracks are extra vocals, yells, yeahs, etc, which didn't make the original mix presumably for the reason they are annoying and distracting. The new mix of L.A. Woman has a couple of bars of what sound to me like "God Save The Queen" at the start - clearly the guys mucking about - but completely out of place with the rest of the song. I also feel these new mixes, despite being Hi-Def, lack the warmth of my earlier CD and vinyl copies of the album.

There's a danger when doing a radical remix of music that is so revered by it's fans that you can't possibly satisfy everyone, but why not present both the new mix and the original stereo mix at let people make their own minds up? Why not release the Mono versions of the earlier albums - after all that's how many people would have listened to the music at the time (as has been done for Bob Dylan & Miles Davis). I must admit this is one of the very few purchases that I have really regretted buying, probably because it was so expensive too.
on 26 July 2007
OK, I believe that anyone who reads this (as I did read the others) is more about if it's worth this edition or not. Well let me just say that I just received my order yesterday and insert the first CD (actually HDCD) around 11p.m. Well this HDCD quality is great (I like it even better than the new 2007 CDs).
Then I inserted the first album in DVD-Audio (2-channel) and wow fantastic sound quality. Great dynamics, instrument separation and Jim's voice...
Then I inserted the second album DVD-Audio (same as the first).
And then at around 2a.m. I went to bed, haven't slept more than 5 hours but it was worth it. I believe if it was friday I just would listen all the records. For me this was a great buy because and did not had all the CDs but even if I had it would be worth it. Of course in my case I have a good DVD-Audio player which is one of the strongest caracterists of this edition.
on 5 July 2009
A must for any Doors fan...contains the six studio albums, plus DVDs and Albums in 5:1 surround sound....excellent value for money...also contains many out takes, and some very interesting takes of Moonlight Drive in its development...an AWESOME box set
on 26 October 2009
If you only want one great Doors collection, this is it. The mastering is wonderful, at last these recordings get their just deserves. The packaging just makes it that bit special, well done to all concerned.
on 2 April 2013
And these are great, i upgraded from cassettes to this - only drawback is no American Prayer but all six official studio albums are here with extra tracks at the end of each album.
on 15 August 2008
If you are a Doors fan you MUST buy this Boxset. The Remastering of the 6 Albums featuring Jim Morrison are incredible. I played these Remasters along with the original CD's I had and the difference between them is huge. I am usually cynical upon being greeted with an all new remastered tag but this time it is not hype. Loads of extras on the discs too. Amazing for under £50. BUY IT NOW......
on 13 April 2011
Truth is I am not really a huge fan of The Doors. That is, I didn't grow up with this music (it being the preserve of my older brother), so I wasn't at all sure this box would be worth getting.

Needless to say I'm glad I did finally get around to picking this up. It is a revelation. Given that I cannot claim the ability to contextualise these albums, I'll avoid any attempt at a critique. Instead I'll simply state that even a non-fan will get hours of worthwhile pleasure from these discs of amazing music.
on 19 June 2009
I've had this product delivered 3 times this month (June 09)and each time I have had either a CD or a DVD doubled up and 1 missing its either Morrisons Hotel or Soft Parade. This is despite being told that the stock had been checked before I re ordered. This is one box set I was really looking forward to getting only to be let down bummer!
44 comments|4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 February 2011
My box set was incorrectly packed as I received the CD 'soft parade' twice and did not receive the CD 'morrison hotel'. Leaving me with the full set minus one.

At the price of this product I don't think it is unreasonable to expect it to be packed correctly.

I do not recommend this product.