5.0 out of 5 stars Beck's masterpiece
Published on 13 Oct. 2006 by Stuart M. Field

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm disappointed.
It pains me to give a Beck album such a low rating, but for me this album is as featureless as the blank graph paper cover it comes in. Yes, as a previous reviewer said, the fact that you can design your own sleeve is the best feature. I designed mine before I'd listened to the album. If I'd listened first, I might not have put any stickers on it at all.

My...
Published on 12 Mar. 2008 by Neil

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beck's masterpiece, 13 Oct. 2006
This review is from: The Information (Audio CD)
Beck has always proved a bit of an enigma; part post-modern playboy and part wounded troubador and some are not sure which is best. Some would claim the shallow fun of Odelay is his stroke of genius; while others claim Sea Change (the album most claim to be a real bore-their wrong; it's beautiful) to be the one. Well with The Information I belive he's finally done it! And the reason? He's successfully married his weird, funny cool rap style with his sensitive side. The Information is all about our modern times; the confusion, the fear, the craziness is brilliantly captured on an album that will leave you breathless. So we get those crazy indie hipster rap songs of old (Elevator Music, Cellphones Dead) and beautiful heartache songs (the brilliant Soldier Jane and We Dance Alone).

Some of said the 17 tracks is a bit much, but I disagree, there's such a range of styles here you don't have time to get bored. This is a musician realising how to marry up the contrasting musical sides of his nature, as well as telling us about our messed up modern world. This is an album that reflects this time in history; and that makes it very important!

Album of the year; no doubt; possibly album of the decade! I am not kidding; buy it NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beck is Back, 8 Oct. 2006
A. Macdonald "be the rain" (kingdom of fife) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Information (Audio CD)
Never written a review of anything before, but the return to form of America's most consistently interesting songwriter was not something I could leave unheralded. Guero, the album Beck had out only eighteen months ago, was such a major disappointment that I had no real expectations for The Information.

Well, I only bought The Information yesterday evening and I am already giving it a fifth run through, with harmonies, grooves and melodies solidifying in my mind and new sounds, unexpected angles and hidden corners being uncovered with every listen. The songwriting is better and the sound, produced expertly again by Nigel Godrich, is richer and fuller.

Beck is back, thank God(rich)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beck just keeps getting better, 5 Oct. 2006
This review is from: The Information (Audio CD)
As a big fan of beck I was eagerly anticipating this new album. I was quite lucky as in the summer i saw beck play live at a music festival, including some of his new material which I immediately took a liking to. Its the sort of music that makes you want to dance but its also relaxing for a night with your friends.

I've heard some people say its not as good as "Guero" but I think its wrong to compare the two because they do sound so different and Beck is clever, in that with every album he does get better. The single "cell phone's dead" is very catchy with a memorable bassline. For some you may recognise the bass from Herbie Hancock but I have no problem with that, Beck has made this song his own. I love the samples he uses and the lyrics are always amusing. Within 2 listens I was already singing along.

Some of my favourite songs include "Elevator Music", "Think I'm in Love", "Nausea", "New Round" and "1000BPM". The overall sound of this album is a mixed variety, we have some catchy songs like "Elevator Music" whilst "1000BPM" has beck rapping. There is also evidence of harmonica, so its good to see Beck hasn't forgotten that.

This version also contains a DVD which I think is worth checking out. I also bought the special edition of Guero and i think this dvd of videos is much better, because although he works on a budget you can see Beck along with his band, trying out new creative things with the videos. Also there are some stickers to create your own cd artwork which I dont think has ever been done before, but i think its a clever idea.

I truly recommend this. If this is your first beck album I believe it will draw you in and for older beck fans, its a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Becks strange new sound!, 6 Oct. 2006
S. BUTTON (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Information (Audio CD)
After first hearing this album from start to finish I wasn't too sure it had all the trademarks of Beck but it felt familiar.

It was only then that I found out this album had been produced by Nigel Godrich of Becks 2002 Sea Change Release some of the songs on this new album have a very similar vibe to them We Dance Alone and New Round for Example sound relaxed and calming.

If only the same could be said about the complex multi instrumentals all of these songs seem to have and add to that becks bizzarre lyrics we have a very creative album.

There are other songs here who fan's of Odelay would enjoy there's Elevator Music and 1000BPM.

For the Midnight Vultures fans theres This Girl That I know and Soldier Jane.

A lot of Beck fans will like this album as it has a variety of songs that would easily fit on his large back cataloge of previous albums.

To top this all off the Inovative sticker album design is absoloutly fantastic meaning that everyone's copy of the album will be unique and different.

And for those who have the DVD edition further still this adds to great value as Beck and Nigel have managed to produce a lo fi video for every song on the album starring fellow band members and most members of his family including his 2 year old son Cosimo aww bless!!!.

So what are you guys waiting for give it a go for those who don't like beck give it a try as there has to be at least one song on there that will appeal to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beck at his best, 4 Feb. 2007
This review is from: The Information (Audio CD)
Unless you are a die-hard fan, of which I suspect there are many, Beck's prolific career seems to slip in and out of my musical radar. 2002's sombre, sometimes po-faced, Sea Change was the last time I bought a Beck album, one which I now feel hasn't stood the test of time. The Information marks a return to the surreal, hip hop-infused folk pop of Odelay, but with Nigel Godrich's production retaining some of the more reflective, spacious moodiness of Sea Change. It is a winning combination - from the opener Elevator Music it sounds like Beck has reidentified with his core personality, at once witty and funky but revisiting the bluesy slacker aesthetic that made him famous. Whereas Midnight Vultures or, arguably, Sea Change could be construed as an attempt by Beck to imitate (ironically or not) other artists, The Information could only be him: lo-fi, kitchen sink raps with hi-definition production. With over an hour's worth of music, there is variety and varying degrees of experimentation, but it would be pointless to sift through this track by track here, suffice to say that he is back to his innovative best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange Apparitions, 31 Dec. 2011
Rooksby (United KIngdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Information (Audio CD)
I'll keep this brief... I've been a Beck fan since the off (well, since "Loser" anyway) & followed his career very closely until the maudlin Sea Change. Before you start punching your monitor & screaming "Classic!", "Idiot!!" or, possibly, "What a classic idiot!!", don't misconstrue me here... I l.o.v.e. Sea Change, but it seemed like it might be Beck's creative zenith to me. When, after it's unfairly lukewarm critical reception, he hooked up with The Dust Brothers again, for the overcooked/overlong Guero, I figured he might've finally run out of steam. The minor diversions offered by water-treading remix projects like The Gameboy Variations & Guerolito only seemed to confirm that.

So, when The Information originally appeared, hot on Guero's heels - another deluge of songs in a variety of slightly confusing formats & tucked inside a slightly "whacky" (yes, I hate that word too) sleeve - I told myself "ENOUGH!" & gave it a wide berth. It wasn't until I heard the brilliant - & relatively brief - Modern Guilt LP that I decided to risk disappointment & give The Information a go. I bought the 3 disc version, as it was going for a song, & was utterly dazzled. As a couple of other folk have hinted on here, it's arguably Beck's magnum opus. Personally, I still rate Mutations as his finest album to date, but it's difficult to compare the 2 as they're so completely different. The Information is a very electronic record, sometimes deceptively so (it's mix of electronic & acoustic instrumentation is incredibly skillful), & the production is very dense in places. Frequently, there seems to be a lot more going on beneath the surface than is initially apparent, making it a record that repays repeated plays.

The Information strikes me, lyrically, as being Beck's reaction to his Scientologist beliefs & upbringing (apparently, he's been involved with the movement for most of his life). The lyrics, noticeably more "cosmic" than usual, are often delivered in an unsettling android-like monotone, but are some of his finest ever. A handful of songs disappoint - "Nausea" & "1000bpm" sound like heated-up Guero hangovers for starters - but several are his best yet. The unearthly, eerie drift that underpins tracks like "Solider Jane", "Movie Theme" & "Cellphone's Dead" is genuinely haunting. The latter's Michael Gondry-directed video perfectly captures the feeling I'm talking about.

n.b. Curiously, "Timebomb", released as a single to promote the album, isn't actually on it (even the 3 disc version omits it). Curiouser still, it would've been one of the worst tracks on it if they included it.

The Information is a sprawling, slightly chaotic, fantastical brainfart of an album... & I heartily recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beck does it again!, 2 Dec. 2006
Michael W. Rix (Farnham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Information (Audio CD)
Back in the day when Odelay was released I'd encountered Beck only from the Loser video I saw intermittently on MTV. Liking this track and having heard a snippet of Devil's haircut, I decided to take a chance on the CD. Now considering all I lived for at that time was pure dance/garage, this was a big step. I remember listening to the album in its entirety and although it was ok I doubted that it would ever feature in my top 50 of all time. Luckily i listened a second time, and a third, and a fourth and found the sonic world of Beck opening up to me. So much so that it's addictive nature has made it one of my favourite discs of all time!! I expected more of the same from midnight vultures but was hugely disappointed. Even Guero didn't scratch that same itch. The information however has taken me back to that special place. Again it's a grower. But what a grower!!! Each track answers the music needs you require and compliments every other track. A masterpiece as good, if not better, than odelay. Free your mind and your ass will follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars beck is back to best!, 7 Nov. 2006
R. Barnes (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Information (Audio CD)
Beck is back and with a vengeance, he has always had the tendency to blow us away with great songs and albums; Odelay & Midnite Vultures but then drop below the radar with efforts that depart from his quality folk-quasi-country-rap-funk. The Information brings Beck back to his best...the best white rapper (forget eminem) in the world has some quality tunes on here. Stand out tracks are pretty much every1, i love Cellphones Dead, Soldier Jane, Nausea, We Dance Alone, 1000 BPM & the others are growing on me!

Even if you are only vaguely familiar with Beck (if so where the hell have you been in the last 10 years?!), then this album is still at must, just for the funky stickers you get to decorate the album cover. The purchase was worth it even before i put the cd on.

Then there is the DVD, which has videos for every song, which is a treat, with stand out vids being 'cellphones dead', Nausea, Soldier Jane. check out the creepy little girl on the cellphones dead vid!

All in all this is the must have album of the year.Beck is a genius, with crazy ideas and crazy tunes that will make you wonder how on earth this guy isnt ruling the world!

4.0 out of 5 stars More Beck brilliance, 26 Aug. 2011
Mr. M. L. Hawes "Mitchmusic" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Information (Audio CD)
If you are unfamiliar with the work of Beck, then please, read this. I was just checking out the top Beck downloads and unsurprisingly number one was 'Loser', followed by some other classic tracks.

It suggests to me that Beck is an artist that way too many people skim over, nodding respect to, but not actually getting into. Well, if you're reading this then we're on the right track.

The Information did not receive overtly kind reviews in the music press, and to me this is a complete mystery. Beck has released some less brilliant material, 'Midnight Vultures' being possibly his only real dog of a record, but this is full of his imaginitive genius. It pushes the listener, but delivers in spades, a breadth of songwriting that most people could never get near.

Beck is one of the only artists in the music industry that has a contract that allows total artistic freedom. Why? Because they trust him to deliver and with 'The Information' he does that in spades.

Brilliant work.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Track Off Another Masterpiece, 16 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Information (Audio CD)
Just how good is Beck? He is just not capable of producing a bad album and I have them all. This is the last one I bought from his back catalouge. The one I bought previously was Sea Change which is absolutely outstanding and I think his best. But it is a very difficult one to call as all his albums are absolutely brilliant and unique as Beck's ability to compose and deliver such a massive variety of song styles is why I'm totally hooked and a big big fan. I just hope that soon he will deliver a brand new release. Anyhow 'The Information' is more like Odelay and Modern Guilt than Sea Change and Mutations. It has more rap and funk elements and synth and far less blues guitar based songs. The album is funky and quirky and quite weird too - especially with the scientology elements towards the end - I'm okay with that actually and happy enough to fly off in a spaceship any day as long as I don't have to pay any council tax when I land - cool, fine by me, let's go - engage! My only critisism of 'The Information' is track 4, I think it's 'Strange Apparition' and it's not Beck's best and really is an 'odd man out' track, and to me does not fit at all with the production of the rest of the album - it's crap basically and sounds like a crappy Lynard Skinard 'country honk' type thing which I can basically do without - so I skip the track out (I know - how criminal is that) when playing the CD cos everything else just flows fantastically.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Information
The Information by Beck (Audio CD - 2006)