5.0 out of 5 stars Love it or hate it film
"Love it or hate it" is the perfect way to describe this film. There are some people who love it and think it's just as good, if not better than the original. Then there are those who think its too long, plot is seriously flawed and has no point, the ending is silly, jd has too many of the same jokes and it's too dark.

I think I was one of the only people who...
Published on 9 Oct. 2006 by M. Wright

2.0 out of 5 stars All at sea
Published on 27 Nov. 2006 by Johnentwistlespout

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it or hate it film, 9 Oct. 2006
M. Wright "Postal_Dude" (York, UK) - See all my reviews

I think I was one of the only people who thought the original pirates wasn't as good as everyone made it out to be. It was a good film, but it could have been so much better, so I was a little apprehensive when I got a ticket to see this in the cinema. Would I be bored like the first one but for much longer?

No! I loved this film! I think this fixed all the little nags I had about the first film! I even went and brought the first one so when this comes out I can FULLY appreciate its greatness! As for some of the criticisms people have made about it, I can sort of see where their coming from. I mean, yes it is dark, yes it is long, yes the ending isn't really an ending (more like a one year interval before the 3rd on comes out) and yes jd does have the same sort of jokes. But I was gripped throughout the movie.

I honestly didn't realize that a few hours had pasted when the end credits started to roll, I suppose how long you think it is depends on whether you enjoy it, so ignore anyone who says it's too long :P

yes it is darker, MUCH darker than the original. But unless you're planning on making your 2 year old son/daughter watch it, I think the darkness only adds to the film. It makes the film more credible, rather than a children's story, with three attractive actors in it to appeal to the older generation. Because the film is much longer (and the sequel coming next year) the plot will obviously have to be more complicated, otherwise people will moan about it being too boring a predicable. If you had trouble understanding the first film, you may need to watch this a few time to get it, but otherwise I don't see why anyone who stays awake can't follow this. And the endings great btw:) and just a side note about jd having too many same jokes.... isn't that why most people loved the original? Anyway...

I would recommend everyone watch this film. If not own it! In fact although most people who haven't seen this are a bit apprehensive about buying a DVD with such mixed reviews, I wouldn't recommend renting it... just buy it and see what you think, cause I'm sure most of you will love it! Just so long as you don't expect a carbon copy of the first one (which everyone would be moaning about if it was anyway!!!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, 24 Jun. 2009
Valerie J. (West Yorks, UK) - See all my reviews
If I were to have to say just one reason why I love the Pirates of the Caribbean it would have to be Johnny Depp! Why? Not so much that he is wonderfully handsome but the character he plays just cracks me up all the way through. His facial expressions and mannerisms are nothing short of pure genius! Have you ever seen anyone run like that? I don't need to tell you the storyline as this has been done already. Old tentacle face, Davy Jones (played by the brilliantly versatile actor, Bill Nighy)is predictably excellent too - love the way he ends his sentences with emphasis. He got me at it for a while-a. Pure entertainment. This is my favourite of the three Pirates...movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliance, 22 Aug. 2007
L. Otto (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I'm writing this review purely because I think its shameful that this film currently has a 3 star rating because it doesn't work on some people's hardware..Surely you should be posting a negative comment on the hardware in questions area, and not the DVD as it isn't the discs fault..

Agro aside, we'll get to the review:

Visually, Pirates of the Caribbean 2 is the greatest blu-ray movie I have seen so far, and believe me I have seen plenty. From start to finish the film's clarity and depth are astounding, colour rendition is immaculate as is the transfer from source. There is hardly any grain (and by this I mean none, but some people tend to split hairs) and the picture is so detailed that the film takes on an entirely new life and brings an entirely new experience. If you're after a visual feast, this will fill you for years.

The sound follows the footsteps of the video. It is immaculate. Perfectly equalised and as clear as crystal. I won't say too much but all I will say is that its hard to imagine it better.

Extras: Almost too many..who am I kidding? It's brilliant, something like 13 hours of entertaining extra features to keep you busy! I especially like the training sequences and the game!

In conclusion? If you've seen the film before and don't know whether or not to spend the money to see it in HD, do it. Seriously, you don't know what you're missing. Even if you haven't seen it, and you want your first viewing to be in blu-ray trust me, you will not be disappointed with the quality!

2.0 out of 5 stars All at sea, 27 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Pirates Of The Caribbean : Dead Man's Chest (Two-Disc Special Edition)[DVD] [2006] (DVD)
The original film was pretty good; Johnny depp turned in another memorable character and we all realised we liked the idea of pirates again. Now Jacks back and so are another bunch of damned sea hands (this time fronted by the squidfaced Davey Jones). There are three storylines here; Keira Knightly (nice face, shame about the flair) must hunt down Jack and steal his magic compass so she can help her fiancé Will (boring bloke), Jack must use his magic compass to find a "treasure" chest and boring, boring Will hunts a key to the very chest Jack is after...so he can save Keira; its all needless complicated and annoying because we don't get to see much of Depp. He pops up occasionally, does a bit of slapstick comedy and then disappears for twenty minutes before suddenly appearing somewhere else in a completely unrelated situation. Indeed, all of the characters seem to have found the ability to teleport themselves wherever they want....a useful thing for the film makers because then they don't have bother with all that annoying stuff, like making the script make sense. Not so useful for the viewer though because we end up with an absolute mess of a film with no structure whatsoever and characters who never appear to be in proper peril. Dead Mans chest isn't a great film, in the same way Spielbergs 1941 wasnt a great film. Maybe the third one will put everything in context but I doubt it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed, but saved by Depp's excellent performance., 26 Nov. 2006
Ironically enough, the best thing about Dead Mans Chest is also its main downfall. While Johnny Depp's exurberant performance as Jack Sparrow chewed up the scenery everytime he appeared in the last film, in this belated sequel he is thrust to the fore at times and other times is nowhere to be seen. When he is on screen he dazzles, his performance just as good as the first, even if the dialogue is no longer as sharp and witty as in the first. Unfortunately, when he is off screen, the lack of a talent to make up for his absence is largely conspicuous. Neither Bloom or Knightley are lively enough to carry the film, resulting in some bland scenes with little excitement.

The rest of the film doesn't help. The plot is laboured and tedious, never catching the imagination as the first did so well. At nearly two-and-a-half-hours it is over long aswell.

The film is saved, however, by Depp, whose prancing pirate is riddicuously brilliant; he is the sole reason for the success that this film has been at the box-office. If the third film can reproduce the same qualities that enthralled us in the first, then this film can be classified as a slight dip. For now, though, it is a dissapointment, but you'll still find pleasure in watching Johnny Depp act.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cap't Jack Sparrow? I really would!!, 25 Sept. 2006
Michele (Medway, Kent) - See all my reviews
If you loved Captain Jack in 'The curse of the black pearl', you will love him in 'dead mans chest'! It might be a little darker, it might be a little longer! But at the end of the day, it is still as 'Pirates of the Caribbean' as we want it to be! Ignore all these reviews and just watch it. It is a brilliant sequel and up there with the best of sequels! I believe the triology (if thats where it stops?) will go down as one of the greats! Have a glass of wine (or beer) and just enjoy it for what it is ment to be...........just entertainment! And by golly, it entertained me!

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do better, 30 Dec. 2006
All the hype, the teasers at the Movies, commercails and what have you... for this! I was pretty dssapointed. Don't get me wrong it wasn't bad, just about ok. I absolutely love the bit where Jack is re-incarnated pagan God is hilarious. The paprika seasoning/antiperspirant scene cracks me up every single time! I sincerely hope they pick up their game in Part3. Otherwise what a waste this would have turn out to have been.

3.0 out of 5 stars a good film, but way too long, 12 Nov. 2011
bizmandan (staffordshire, england) - See all my reviews
This second instalment of the Pirates franchise is a lot darker and isn't quite as child-friendly and silly as the loriginal . Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest delivers everything you'd want from it and more, it delivers more than you'd want from any movie! It's a funny, epic, and an exciting sequel; the only problem is that it doesn't really need to be two and a half hours long.

You'll only notice the length occasionally; however, as most of the film will have you reasonably entertained, you will be happily taking in rollicking pirate myths, truly believable (and much improved from the last film) special effects, and thoroughly fleshed-out characters. The sheer number of stories, characters and locations presented is one thing that might leave you scratching your head and saying, "I thought this movie was based on a theme park ride?"

Female lead Keira Knightley is given the much-needed chance to express real sexual chemistry in this film, both with Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp .

A subplot with returning character Commodore Norrington (Jack Davenport ) is a cool idea but was badly executed; with simple changes, this character could have been employed as the root of the film's entire overarching plot. Instead, a somewhat contrived powdered-wig corporate villain is thrown in to do the job, I really didn't see the need for him to be in the film at all!

This bad guy is not the only new bad guy thrown into the mix, we have the other bad guy, fish-man Davy Jones (the delightful Bill Nighy ), who sends a monster bad guy (a mythological beast called the Kraken, which I'm sure is from Clash Of The Titans ) after the Black Pearl.

If you think all these bad guys sound like a bad idea, you might be surprised to find that it works quite well, unlike some Batman movies I could mention.

If you're a die-hard lover of the adventure genre and the ever brilliant character actor that is Johnny Depp and you relish grandiose action sequences (such as a three-man sword fight on, within, and around a giant water-wheel sent rolling uncontrollably through a jungle), you will more than likely love this film. If you have little patience for long films, I don't think you will enjoy this as we don't even get a conclusion by the end in an obvious attempt to make as much money as possible from the franchise with a cash cow sequel.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent release from Walt Disney Picture, 28 Jun. 2009
This excellent release from Walt Disney Pictures offers superb entertainment and high quality visuals and sound.

Movie Itself: I always loved the Pirates of the Caribbean. And yes, it is an overhyped blockbuster/popcorn movie with a budget of hundreds of million of dollars. And yet, The Pirates seems to be much more than that. The brilliant acting by Johnny Depp and the whole atmosphere gives you a sense of reality and a sense of excitement, which make you enjoy every little piece of this movie.

Video: The picture quality on this movie is probably one of the best things about the Blu-ray release. This image is extremely sharp and detailed, blacks are deep and the colours look nothing less than amazing. The Picture Quality on this could not get much better. Although I think it's a shame that the movie doesn't fit the whole screen.

Audio: The Audio on this title is breathtaking. Every little detail is included into the audiotrack. The title offers a variety of sound formats including Dolby Digital, DTS HD and Uncompressed PCM. The amazing score by Hans Zimmer is shouting at you throughout the whole movie. Without the 5/5 perfect audiotrack on the Blu-ray, Dead Man's Chest wouldn't the same.

Extras: The Blu-ray offers a pretty wide variety of extra feature. A complete extra disc with lots of behind the scenes footage and interviews. What more could you ask for? Only one thing: We would be very glad if they had presented us with 1080p bonus material. That would give it the extra star in my book.

Overall: An excellent Blu-ray release, presenting top-notch Picture Quality and breathtaking Audio. An exciting thrill that stays with you a long time after the movie is finished. 4/5

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly slapdash, 29 April 2007
Trevor Willsmer (London, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
The movie business is a law unto itself. After Polanski and Carolco both near bankrupted themselves on pirate pics, nobody expected the original Pirates of The Caribbean to do anything but sink with all hands, let alone be both entertaining and hugely successful, and a few years later nobody expected its vastly inferior sequel, Dead Man's Chest, to do even better business and become only the third film gross more than a billion dollars.

It's not a bad film and offers a fair amount of enjoyment, but the script lacks the polish, wit and surprise of the original and the film feels like it was thrown together in far too much of a hurry to get the best out of the footage (the three-way swordfight sequence in particular never feels that they had enough time to get right in the cutting room). The special effects and Bill Nighy are good, but it feels like they never had a full script and were writing it from day to day. But the biggest problem for me is that whereas the original boasted perhaps Keira Knightley's only okay performance, she more than makes amends here by delivering a performance of such staggering incompetence that it's almost physically painful watching her scowl or over-enunciate her way through her scenes. Surprisingly average.

Only an adio commentary on the single disc DVD, but the two-disc version includes plentful featurettes - though not the 21 deleted scenes that can be found on the extra disc in the 4-film Blu-ray boxed set.