5.0 out of 5 stars Love it or hate it film
"Love it or hate it" is the perfect way to describe this film. There are some people who love it and think it's just as good, if not better than the original. Then there are those who think its too long, plot is seriously flawed and has no point, the ending is silly, jd has too many of the same jokes and it's too dark.

I think I was one of the only people who...
Published on 9 Oct 2006 by M. Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do better
Published on 30 Dec 2006 by A. C. Viccars

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it or hate it film, 9 Oct 2006
M. Wright "Postal_Dude" (York, UK) - See all my reviews

I think I was one of the only people who thought the original pirates wasn't as good as everyone made it out to be. It was a good film, but it could have been so much better, so I was a little apprehensive when I got a ticket to see this in the cinema. Would I be bored like the first one but for much longer?

No! I loved this film! I think this fixed all the little nags I had about the first film! I even went and brought the first one so when this comes out I can FULLY appreciate its greatness! As for some of the criticisms people have made about it, I can sort of see where their coming from. I mean, yes it is dark, yes it is long, yes the ending isn't really an ending (more like a one year interval before the 3rd on comes out) and yes jd does have the same sort of jokes. But I was gripped throughout the movie.

I honestly didn't realize that a few hours had pasted when the end credits started to roll, I suppose how long you think it is depends on whether you enjoy it, so ignore anyone who says it's too long :P

yes it is darker, MUCH darker than the original. But unless you're planning on making your 2 year old son/daughter watch it, I think the darkness only adds to the film. It makes the film more credible, rather than a children's story, with three attractive actors in it to appeal to the older generation. Because the film is much longer (and the sequel coming next year) the plot will obviously have to be more complicated, otherwise people will moan about it being too boring a predicable. If you had trouble understanding the first film, you may need to watch this a few time to get it, but otherwise I don't see why anyone who stays awake can't follow this. And the endings great btw:) and just a side note about jd having too many same jokes.... isn't that why most people loved the original? Anyway...

I would recommend everyone watch this film. If not own it! In fact although most people who haven't seen this are a bit apprehensive about buying a DVD with such mixed reviews, I wouldn't recommend renting it... just buy it and see what you think, cause I'm sure most of you will love it! Just so long as you don't expect a carbon copy of the first one (which everyone would be moaning about if it was anyway!!!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, 24 Jun 2009
Valerie J. (West Yorks, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
If I were to have to say just one reason why I love the Pirates of the Caribbean it would have to be Johnny Depp! Why? Not so much that he is wonderfully handsome but the character he plays just cracks me up all the way through. His facial expressions and mannerisms are nothing short of pure genius! Have you ever seen anyone run like that? I don't need to tell you the storyline as this has been done already. Old tentacle face, Davy Jones (played by the brilliantly versatile actor, Bill Nighy)is predictably excellent too - love the way he ends his sentences with emphasis. He got me at it for a while-a. Pure entertainment. This is my favourite of the three Pirates...movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cap't Jack Sparrow? I really would!!, 25 Sep 2006
Michele (Medway, Kent) - See all my reviews
If you loved Captain Jack in 'The curse of the black pearl', you will love him in 'dead mans chest'! It might be a little darker, it might be a little longer! But at the end of the day, it is still as 'Pirates of the Caribbean' as we want it to be! Ignore all these reviews and just watch it. It is a brilliant sequel and up there with the best of sequels! I believe the triology (if thats where it stops?) will go down as one of the greats! Have a glass of wine (or beer) and just enjoy it for what it is ment to be...........just entertainment! And by golly, it entertained me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliance, 22 Aug 2007
L. Otto (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I'm writing this review purely because I think its shameful that this film currently has a 3 star rating because it doesn't work on some people's hardware..Surely you should be posting a negative comment on the hardware in questions area, and not the DVD as it isn't the discs fault..

Agro aside, we'll get to the review:

Visually, Pirates of the Caribbean 2 is the greatest blu-ray movie I have seen so far, and believe me I have seen plenty. From start to finish the film's clarity and depth are astounding, colour rendition is immaculate as is the transfer from source. There is hardly any grain (and by this I mean none, but some people tend to split hairs) and the picture is so detailed that the film takes on an entirely new life and brings an entirely new experience. If you're after a visual feast, this will fill you for years.

The sound follows the footsteps of the video. It is immaculate. Perfectly equalised and as clear as crystal. I won't say too much but all I will say is that its hard to imagine it better.

Extras: Almost too many..who am I kidding? It's brilliant, something like 13 hours of entertaining extra features to keep you busy! I especially like the training sequences and the game!

In conclusion? If you've seen the film before and don't know whether or not to spend the money to see it in HD, do it. Seriously, you don't know what you're missing. Even if you haven't seen it, and you want your first viewing to be in blu-ray trust me, you will not be disappointed with the quality!

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do better, 30 Dec 2006
A. C. Viccars "Brown Chockey" (Canberra, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pirates Of The Caribbean : Dead Man's Chest (Two-Disc Special Edition)[DVD] [2006] (DVD)
All the hype, the teasers at the Movies, commercails and what have you... for this! I was pretty dssapointed. Don't get me wrong it wasn't bad, just about ok. I absolutely love the bit where Jack is re-incarnated pagan God is hilarious. The paprika seasoning/antiperspirant scene cracks me up every single time! I sincerely hope they pick up their game in Part3. Otherwise what a waste this would have turn out to have been.

2.0 out of 5 stars All at sea, 27 Nov 2006
The original film was pretty good; Johnny depp turned in another memorable character and we all realised we liked the idea of pirates again. Now Jacks back and so are another bunch of damned sea hands (this time fronted by the squidfaced Davey Jones). There are three storylines here; Keira Knightly (nice face, shame about the flair) must hunt down Jack and steal his magic compass so she can help her fiancé Will (boring bloke), Jack must use his magic compass to find a "treasure" chest and boring, boring Will hunts a key to the very chest Jack is after...so he can save Keira; its all needless complicated and annoying because we don't get to see much of Depp. He pops up occasionally, does a bit of slapstick comedy and then disappears for twenty minutes before suddenly appearing somewhere else in a completely unrelated situation. Indeed, all of the characters seem to have found the ability to teleport themselves wherever they want....a useful thing for the film makers because then they don't have bother with all that annoying stuff, like making the script make sense. Not so useful for the viewer though because we end up with an absolute mess of a film with no structure whatsoever and characters who never appear to be in proper peril. Dead Mans chest isn't a great film, in the same way Spielbergs 1941 wasnt a great film. Maybe the third one will put everything in context but I doubt it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed, but saved by Depp's excellent performance., 26 Nov 2006
Ironically enough, the best thing about Dead Mans Chest is also its main downfall. While Johnny Depp's exurberant performance as Jack Sparrow chewed up the scenery everytime he appeared in the last film, in this belated sequel he is thrust to the fore at times and other times is nowhere to be seen. When he is on screen he dazzles, his performance just as good as the first, even if the dialogue is no longer as sharp and witty as in the first. Unfortunately, when he is off screen, the lack of a talent to make up for his absence is largely conspicuous. Neither Bloom or Knightley are lively enough to carry the film, resulting in some bland scenes with little excitement.

The rest of the film doesn't help. The plot is laboured and tedious, never catching the imagination as the first did so well. At nearly two-and-a-half-hours it is over long aswell.

The film is saved, however, by Depp, whose prancing pirate is riddicuously brilliant; he is the sole reason for the success that this film has been at the box-office. If the third film can reproduce the same qualities that enthralled us in the first, then this film can be classified as a slight dip. For now, though, it is a dissapointment, but you'll still find pleasure in watching Johnny Depp act.

3.0 out of 5 stars mmm... Johnny Depp, 22 Feb 2007
This film would be completely rubbish if it wasn't for Johnny Depp. Orlando Bloom is incredibly annoying. Both him and Keira Knightley gave quite wooden performances. The storyline was a bit strange (kracken, Davy Jones and fishmen) and the film seemed to be saying "watch the third film!! Watch the film and earn us lots of money!!!). The first part was good, when they were captured by natives (mainly because of Johnny Depp's amazingly hilarious runnung style as he is chased by his captors), but then it just got very weird.

Every scene improved as soon as Depp appeared. Without him, the film would completely flat.

Bill Nighy was good too(as Davy Jones) but the rest, well...

3.0 out of 5 stars pirates of the caribean 2 not as good as the first, 8 Dec 2008
T. J. Brooks (uk) - See all my reviews
This movie is no where near as good as the first one, but it still has a lot of funny moments from captain Jack. there is still a lot of action and it introduces a new charactor Davy Jones the ruler of the sea. It's worth seeing this movie just to see the slimy creature that is Davy Jones and also for the humour that Johnny Depp puts into the film. over all its worth seeing as the plot is good and full of humour but the first one is alot better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first, 9 Oct 2007
C. Plant (sheffield) - See all my reviews
I thought this film was nowhere near as good as the first one. There didn't seem to be a strong enough plot.

Johnny Depp seems to have to live upto all the hype created in the first film and I think he tries a little too hard.

With the budget for this film I was expecting something better.

ARRAY(0xf82b9e4)