4.0 out of 5 stars Better on the second viewing.
Having enjoyed the first two films immensely - and I consider them brilliant examples of converting comic heroes onto the big screen - I was excited at the prospect of the third being released at the cinema.

Published on 1 April 2008 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright, but not great.
The third part of the X-men trilogy continues the story of the rivalry between Magneto and Charles Xavier as they seek to control the diverse powers of the mutants. The film moves to a visually impressive climax as the two armies battle for supremacy on the Golden Gate Bridge.
Published on 3 July 2008 by b

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright, but not great., 3 July 2008
Yet this film lacks the strength and integrity of the two previous films. The carefully constructed dialogue and attention to the details of character is replaced by action sequences and CGI-imagery. New characters are introduced but are not explored, serving only to deflect attention from the rivalries and affections of the leads. Crucially, three important characters from the previous films are eliminated well before the climax.
The film does boast some effective scenes, mostly when McKellen is onscreen and once again his scenes with Patrick Stewart generate an energy and tension that other scenes lack. The battle sequences are imaginative and well-constructed and the ending is fine. However, compared to the previous films in the trilogy, this movie does feel somewhat soulless and lacking the same passion for the source material.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better on the second viewing., 1 April 2008
This review is from: X-Men 3: The Last Stand [2 Disc Edition] [DVD] (DVD)

However, I will not forget my disappointment in this film when I first saw it. I was amazed at the absence (for most of the movie) of many central characters, for example, Rogue, Xavier, and Scott. Also, the storyline implied that it was unlikely that the X-men would continue. Personally, I felt it was a wasted opportunity - it didn't bring more recognisable characters to life, for instance, Gambit; other characters like Beast and Juggernaut were introduced but not fully developed. Further films could have really explored these mutants.

For a long time, therefore, I was put off from viewing the film again. In fact, I have never made any effort to buy it, which would complete my collection of the trilogy. However, last night I watched it for the second time. I actually found that now that I know what happened, I found myself enjoying the movie and many of the qualities that I liked in the first two films became visible in this one.

Although I wouldn't buy this DVD at full price, in all, this second viewing has encouraged me to complete my trilogy (at the lower cost)!

4.0 out of 5 stars "I'm The Juggernaut, B****!", 7 Aug 2014
Mr. C. Gelderd "aka GelNerd" (Basingstoke, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Out of the trilogy of films, I have to admit I enjoyed this one the most. I understand this instalment didn’t fear will overall with most critics or fans, but there is so much to enjoy in the 100min run time, I didn’t feel bored or under-whelmed at all. Maybe because I’d watched the steady introduction and the meaty story of previous films, I now wanted an action spectacle with more engaging characters and just good fun all round, and I am not afraid to admit I found it here.

Right from the first minute, this film erases the timeline established in ‘X-Men: First Class’, but that isn’t Brett Ratner’s issue or the film itself. The wider decision is down to the studios and however they wanted to take the series, so it’s hard now to establish it in the “new” timeline, but if you class ‘The Wolverine’ in with things, then moments and characters from ‘The Last Stand’ are present in that too which also ties into ‘Days Of Future Past’. It’s probably more complicated than it should be!

Here we have a final chapter of a trilogy that acts as a loud, fun and bombastic summary of the war between good and evil. With brilliant character arcs portrayed from the dependable and enjoyable likes of Jackman, Berry, Stewart et al, we are treated to a handful of new characters who simply add to the fun of the film in the guise of evil Juggernaut played by the one-trick pony Vinnie Jones, Kitty Pryde played by the lovely Ellen Page and more time to shine, literally, for Colossus played by the towering Daniel Cudmore. We also have great support from newcomer Kelsey Grammer as X-Man Beast, mixing great action with grounded drama in his performance.

The story is fluffier than previous films and probably doesn’t ask many taxing questions or moral subjects as Bryan Singer did so well early on. And maybe there IS too much action, but I didn’t feel it was un-justified. Here we have a remarkable performance by Famke Janssen as Dark Phoenix who is more powerful than anything we’ve seen before. This film is the culmination of events starting 6 years ago in film time and so we do have lots of confrontation and battles between the X-Men and Brotherhood, but it’s so well done it does nothing but entertain and if you deny it, than you obviously want something more high-brow from something that, at heart, is a comic-book adaptation.

The visual effects are the best of the trilogy and come across so well, more than most cinematic super-hero offerings, and enhance the mutant’s powers brilliantly without detracting from the scenes they are in. The sequence between Janssen, Stewart and McKellen in the Grey household is visually very impressive but held together by 3 dramatic performances that really are exceptional and bridge a story started years earlier coming to a powerful conclusion. That, coupled with many other fine and well played characters lead to a satisfying rosta to look upon.

If this could have been expanded upon for a little more depth and heart to the story at a longer running time, it could have been a far superior film overall as the balance here is a little off, but the intention is there and it comes across very well. There’s no lagging, no terrible performances even with plenty of new characters who are either used for plot purposes or simply throw-away visual fun on screen, and the enjoyment comes over through the film-making in, for me, a very pleasing and exciting finale to the X-Men trilogy that teased the way for future films before being taken down a notch into the era of prequels and spin-offs.

5.0 out of 5 stars best x, 2 Aug 2014
This is my personal favourite of the series. I know its generally considered to be the poorest, so I just want to 'stand up & be counted' here. The premise of a 'cure' for mutants is a great maguffins and there is great characterisation in here. For example the shameful rejection of Mystique by Magneto and the latter's sorry end in the old folks home. The new characters are admittedly 2 dimensional but they are peripheral and are not supposed to drive the film.

Ok, lots of key people are killed off, but that is allowable in a movie of this sort I think. It serves to remind us that this is a consequence of the violence depicted. The tacit relationship of Logan & Rogue was sensitively handled I think and Jean Grey's volatile personality & untethered power justified Xavier's fears spectacularly.

Am I wrong? Well, the acid test is the enjoyment of the movie, and I'm not mistaken about that.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst of them all, 1 Mar 2013
This is the worst of all Xmen films.

Fox has no respect with the characters that we all love. What they did to Cyclops on this trilogy and in this film is beyond joke.
Basically you have 3x Xmen films that the leader is Woverine and then, not happy with this, Fox decides to release a Wolverine solo film which is just as bad as this one.

Avoid it like a plague!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good fun!, 22 Nov 2007
M. P. Barnes "BarnseytheClaret" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: X-Men 3: The Last Stand [2 Disc Edition] [DVD] (DVD)
It'll never win any oscars, but it's good fun for what it is. OK, it's probably not as good as the other 2 X-men films, but I still enjoyed it. The effects are top-notch, as are the action sequences, and at least some of the good guys die, which makes a change, let's be honest! True, the door is left oipen for more, but that's what they all do, isn't it?!

4.0 out of 5 stars It grows on you!!, 15 July 2007
This review is from: X-Men 3: The Last Stand [2 Disc Edition] [DVD] (DVD)
When I watched this film the first time in the cinema, i made the mistake of watchin X-men 2 just before i went. This was really stupid because in no way is X3 as good as X2 and I was really disappointed with how X3 turned out.
Now, a few months later I watched it again and realised what an amazing film it actually is. The special effects are fantastic, the acting is great, and the cast is brilliant. The only thing that let it down was the weaker storyline, which in comparison the the other two films was rubbish. My advice is to watch this film but dont start comparing it to the other two - watch it when u havent seen the other films for a while because it is BRILLIANT!!!
Its a shame that cyclops AND xavier had to die though.

4.0 out of 5 stars A slight disappointment... but only slight, 28 April 2007
This review is from: X-Men 3: The Last Stand [2 Disc Edition] [DVD] (DVD)
I loved the first two movies. Exciting, great effects, cool characters, terrific stories... then you come to that 'awkward third album'... And yes it is awkward. But not a disaster by any reckoning. The story is good, the effects better than ever, the characters dynamic. So what's the problem? They simply try to squeeze too much in. There are loads of new characters, all demanding their air time, with the result that there simply isn't enough time for everyone to get a decent crack at things. It would've been far better so cut some of the minor characters to give the leads more time. Plus, some of the editing decisions are VERY questionable. For example, the battle at Jean Grey's house involving Wolverine and Storm... well, in the movie, it looks like they lose it to me. Not what you expect from your heroes. BUT... stick on the extra features and see the extended scene, however, and you get a very different picture. And a far, far superior scene. The finale has some similarly baffling editing.

So, when the action scenes are questionable, and the main characters don't get enough screen time, is it any wonder the movie didn't come up to expectations?

All this said, it's still a great movie. Not a triumph, but a worthy addition to the franchise.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun to watch..., 18 April 2007
Mr. Martin K. Allan "mart" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: X-Men 3: The Last Stand [2 Disc Edition] [DVD] (DVD)
Not the greatest of the X-Men films, but not too bad nonetheless. I enjoyed it, some of the action set pieces are very impressive. On the down side the characters are underdevloped and the casting Vinnie Jones as Juggernaut was a bad move. On the plus side, Kelsey Grammer does a good job as Beast and the effects are mostly very good. The film would have benefitted greatly from more screen time for Collosus and Angel, and the absence of Nightcrawler was disappointing (although I did hear that Alan [...] did not want to reprise the role).
So not quite up to the standard of the previous two, but enjoyable enough. X-Men 4 the Absolute Final Last Stand anyone?

2.0 out of 5 stars X-men: The Last Straw, 2 May 2009
This review is from: X-Men 3: The Last Stand [2 Disc Edition] [DVD] (DVD)
As a big fan of the first two X-men films, I had very high hopes for the third installment. X2 turned out to be a surprising improvement on the first film, could X3 go one better? Sadly not. To me, X3 represents all that is wrong with Hollywood today. Right from the very start it feels rushed and poorly conceived and constructed. It is a movie clearly made for maximum capital gain off the back of the success of X1 and X2, and with little regard for maintaining the quality of those two films, which warranted a vastly better end to the franchise than this corny mess. There are a few half-decent action scenes, but the plot, about the discovery of a mutant 'cure' is ridiculous, even by superhero movie standards, and the film is way too short to make any real sense at all. As such, I was still waiting for X3 to begin when the end credits started to roll. The final nail in the coffin however, is the appearance of a totally pointless character; the lion from the wizard of Oz dipped in blue Kraft paint. Garbage.

X-Men 3: The Last Stand [2 Disc Edition] [DVD]