on 2 February 2007
I have heard a few DJ Sets from him on Kiss 100, and thought i'd part with my hard earned cash to give this CD a go. I didn't really get it for CD 1 AND 2, but if you take a look, there are some great tracks on there from Coldcuts 'Autumn Leaves' on CD1 and St Etiennes 'Cool Kids of Death' which is a great underground progressive track which I first heard on one of Danny Tenaglia's mix compilations. The first two CD's as their titles suggest, are for an after hours party etc, but as I said earlier there are some great tracks on there that are so obscure you will probably never hear of them again in your lifetime.

We come to CD3 and this is what it is all about. I think I've been waiting around for a mix to come by like this for years. If you're into deep, dark progressive beats mixed by a DJ who oozes quality, then this Mix CD is for you.

As stated earlier, track 6 on CD3 No Gravity-Jordano, is a Phenomenal track.

Kind of let down by some of the previous Balance releases, but this has to rate as one of the top compilations i've ever bought.

Get it now!!
on 4 April 2013
I have been listening to Jimmy Van M for 10 years now - loved his Bedrock work and continue to enjoy his sets and reviews when he plays live. He still plays with John Digweed how has always rated him and often warms up for him to this day. This 10th Balance mix is a 3 cd combo, broken down into 3 parts. Down Tempo, Mid Tempo and Up Tempo - all of which work well and are well thought through with some real depth variety and quality mixing and production. The mixing or production of this compilation as always with this great DJ is impeccable. For any budding DJ out there wanting to know how you mix one track into another without knowing where one start ends and another begins you will struggle to find a better DJ that shows you how, or a better mix CD that does exactly that. Well worth the purchase the best in series upto this point the (10th) and will sit well in your record collection for some time.
on 10 August 2007
This is truly good mixed trilogy cd. From downtempo to uptempo beats, every tracks are marvelously mixed-connected that Jimmy proves to have squisitive talent for such demanding mixing project. I think all other djs should do mixes like that and not only mix the track for clubbing lovers. Cd 1 reminds of Nick Warren's Paris cd1 (GU 30). I recommend this! Its not just a danding beat here. It is also a good choosen tracks for a good ears :) Bravo Jimmy! Bog i Hrvati! (as you wrote on cd sleeve)
on 13 December 2006
Not being mad into the ambient/electro genre I bought this comp. mix in the hope that the majority of the 3cd collection wouldnt be this type of music. Unfortunately not!. I should have realised from the track listing I suppose!. I'm sure it floats some boats but thats not what I'd look for in the latest offering from Balance 3xcd mixed by Jimmy Van M. Considering what Balance have brought out so far and what I've seen/heard from Jimmy so far - his productions/remixes/live DJ sets.

The 4 stars are purely for the last CD. Amazing build up of soft deep musical house into a lovely journey of great sounds & gentle flowing Proggie beats...This is deep prog house at it's best. If you liked John Digweeds "Transitions" or the latest Dave Seamen Audio Terapy (with Lexicon Ave) Disc then buying this for the last CD alone (Uptempo Mix) is worth it. Track 6, "No Gravity" by Jordano to me is mind blowing!. Epitomises what should be played by these DJ's in clubs instead of crowd pleasing, banging, similar sounding rubbish that some seem to resort to lately.

The other 2 CD's will be used at some stage for mood setting/chilling out times I'm sure but for now the only one on my MP3 player is CD3!...Truely excellent.
on 26 March 2013
This album does have some good spells but also some dips. Its average in my opinion. Over the 3 cds the overall music quality is worth the purchase but if your wanting something to take your mind away.......buy something else
on 24 October 2007
Most people are harping on about CD3, but if prog house isn't really your thing, there's PLENTY on offer here for the rest of us. CD1 is an almost perfect mix of ambient & electro with gems from FSOL, Autechre and Thievery Corp (2 remixes) - unlike many 'chill' mixes, much thought has been put into the tracklisting and track order, with proper mixing also plainly evident. Beautiful. Only Laika's 'Coming Down Glass' spoils things for me.

Despite being supposedly "mid-tempo", CD2 merely follows suit - however, it is, in my opinion, the best on offer featuring some cracking tracks from the Cocteau Twins, Speedy J, Boards of Canada & the Aphex Twin. The mix builds nicely and there's hardly a duff note to speak off. It is perhaps a slight indulgence to play all 14mins of 'Cool Kids of Death' (especially as Dubfire did the same thing on his GU After Hours CD) but I'm prepared to let that one slide.

As for the 3rd CD, prog house / breaks fans will have a field day. Personally, I felt there was some outstanding tracks on there and some that were anything but. This disrupted the flow of the mix for me e.g. a promising introduction is spoiled by the bleeping, squelching 'Interfrale' by Solieb. The wonderful Holden-esque 'Jet' is then follwed by 'The Reducer' and 'No Gravity'....2 episodes in repetitive banality....after which we get 2 tasty prog acid tracks before the mix concludes in similarly inconsistent fashion. Go figure.

Still, each to their own - CDs 1 & 2 make this an excellent purchase. To those who aren't familiar with most of the tracks on here, then plenty of pleasant suprises await. I just couldn't give it 5 stars since I'd heard many of the tracks before and hence, it didn't have the impact that James Holden & Chris Fortier did in earlier Balance releases.