on 28 November 2006
Having to replace my old printer asap on a restricted budget the Canon MP510 provided the all-in-one functionality I was after at a relatively low price. The 5-colour ink system makes it very economical compared to the 3-colour Epson model I had before. The prints are crisp and clear, the scanner is high enough resolution for my needs, and the copy facility is a bonus, saving me many trips to the local copy shop. I was amazed at just how easy the printer was to set up, with the quick start guide walking me through the setup so that it took only about 15 minutes from the time I opened the box to printing my first sheet. This is a great machine for someone like me looking for a general purpose all-in-one at an affordable price.
0Comment|188 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 September 2007
Well pleased with this all in one copys prints scans at a good speed and with first class results One of the reasons i went for this was the review it has in PC PRO Definitely the best in its price range
on 5 April 2008
Excellent all round printer photocopying is relativly quick, Easy to use on screen display allows you to view pictures from the card reader or U.S.B port for use with your camera. Set up takes about 10-15 mins the only downside is that it doesn't come with a cable to link to your p.c/laptop. well recommended printer
VINE VOICEon 20 July 2009
I got this printer as a Christmas present for my fiancée and I can't say enough great things about it. However seeing as we moved in and my old printer was rubbish, I now get to use it!

It took about 10 to 15 minutes from taking it out of the box to printing my first page.

The prints are clear and smudge free, the cartridge life is long and refills are very reasonable. The scan and copy features are also top notch and easily accommodate my needs.

As someone who researches before they buy I think this is a great value for money option for anyone considering changing their printer.
on 26 November 2010
I ordered this product as a replacement for an ageing printer which was getting very cranky and unreliable.
Prior to placing the order I had spent ages comparing various makes, models and features with a lot of indecision involved ! (There are so many on the market that a cast-iron best buy for any situation is almost impossible).
In the end it came down to a balance between cost and whether the printer would be able to operate with non-original ink cartridges in the event that manufacturers ones became too expensive to use. (I checked a cartridge suppliers web site as I was narrowing down my choices of what to buy)
I did not need wi-free operation so this printer seemed to offer all I needed at a cost I could justify.
Once I had placed my order the Amazon machine swung into action and as usual I received my delivery extremely efficiently and in less time than suggested at the time of ordering.
The printer was relatively easy to set up although the 'Quick-Start' picture sheet wasn't the easiest thing to interpret. (I always feel that a few more actual words of instruction would make things a lot easier - mind I suppose that this could be 'an age thing' !!)
It is a little bit noisy in operation and a fair amount of whirring and clicking precedes the end result. I don't think I would like to have it in a high use situation.
I have found that the colour rendition of photographs is slightly different to my previous printer and I am having to learn to modify them a bit before printing. I havn't explored all the possibilities and options yet but - So Far So Good.
on 24 November 2007
Having just spent over 4 hrs pursuading this printer's software to install on Vista (Home premium), I'm less than impressed! However, after eventually trying ever trick I know of I finally got it to work. It is a good printer, and copier (haven't tried the scan yet) - well built, good print quality, and easy to use. Note. Some of the supplied software does not work on Vista (check out the canon support site) and canon support, whilst very polite, is of poor quality - inaccurate responses and of little help - use google instead. Having had many canon products, I can quite imagine that this printer will install and work well on XP. But, unless you are technically confident and patient I wouldn't bother with this printer if your machine runs Vista.
on 29 August 2008
Works well with Windows XP, Windows Vista and Linux (I have used the printer and scanner successfully with three different Linux distributions). The print quality is sharp (text is very good indeed) and I like the separate ink cartridges with LEDs that flash to tell you that the ink level in each cartridge is low or empty. It's surprisingly economical on ink use (although we don't use it to print many photos, more for text documents which include pictures and coloured text). You can choose front or rear paper feed for the printer. The scanner is pretty good too, and can also be used to make photocopies. The documentation that comes with the unit is good. I've not tried the memory card slots or USB socket for direct connection of a digital camera, but their use is covered in the manual. Anyway, for light home use this printer/scanner/copier is a good choice and I'd buy another one. Excellent value for money.
on 11 October 2011
I work from home, print photos and christmas cards using this printer. So far I have had no trouble with it. It prints good quality photos. The speed is fine for me. It fits on my desk top nicely. It usually prints duplex fine. It has long periods without being used and still works fine.

It does make a noise when it starts up but I'm not annoyed by it

It has 3 separate colour ink catridges which tend to go at different times which can be tricky. I get mine refilled from my local cartridge world which reduces the expense
on 26 October 2011
I've had the printer for 4 years and it only gets very occasional light use. Up until now it's been fine and done what it says on the tin. However I am now getting an "error code B200" message. This is very bad apparently and is a write off, seems to be quite common too. Very disappointing.
on 12 December 2010
Pretty good piece of kit. Has lasted three years and I like how much you can do from the printer buttons/menu itself, copy colour/black and white. Scan, print photos etc.