Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£30.76+ £1.26 shipping

on 27 April 2014
I recall seeing Atomic Rooster on Top of the Pops performing "Tomorrow Night", doubtless with Pan's People providing much distraction to a randy teenager like I then was!
I remember both this track and "The Devil's Answer" having an impact upon me.
Being into Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Yes, ELP, and such like, the music of this band was no great deviation from my "norm".
But, to my loss, I never bought this album on vinyl (in those halcyon days)until now on CD, as I approach my late 50's.
Excellent, I am so glad I have now listened to everthing this album offers.
Stand out tracks for me, apart from "Tomorrow Night" are:
Death walks behind you: Haunting, dark, brooding start leads in to a great, rocking track.
Seven lonely streets: Starts with a church organ/bass line, becoming a great, heavy, masterpiece.
Sleeping for years: Up there with Seven lonely streets, heavy, with great drumming and vocals, and a wonderfully dark riff.
Nobody else: Odd vocal start, then piano leading in to guitar then vocal, this track is lively, funky with great guitar playing.
Gershatzer: Classic instrumental. Cutting edge, sounds a little like ELP at times, with a heavy interlude on keyboards.
The bonus tracks are very good too, with "Play the game" as a stand out, and superb versions of "Tomorrow Night" and "Devil's Answer".
All said and done, 5 stars without a doubt!
on 12 January 2012
Vincent Crane was the only consistant member of Atomic Rooster as he owned the rights to the name, this was their second album and it really didn't get any better than this one, it's well written, well arranged good sounding album which sounds good today 40 odd years later as it did in the early 1970's and even spawned a top ten single Tomorrow Night. Whether you want to call it Progressive Rock, Classic Rock or just Rock it holds its own with other albums around that time such as Jethro Tull's Aqualung, Supertramp's Crime Of The Century, Groundhog's Split, Deep Purple's In Rock, King Crimson's In The Court Of..,Pink Fairie's Oblivion, Stray's Suicide, Caravan's Land Of Grey & Pink, Budgie's Debut, Black Sabbath's debut,Gentle Giant's Octopus and Uriah Heep's Salsbury, I could go on, but you get the general idea. Sadly they've all passed away now , the last being John Cann in September 2011 of a suspected heart attack aged 66. These really were iconic albums of the time and still stand the test of time today in 2012 and I hope in a 100 years to come when I'm long gone. The members of Atomic Rooster Vincent Crane, John Cann and Paul Hammond can be rightly proud that they have left something they can be justly proud of.
on 16 April 2009
Atomic Rooster were very much the kind of band I never liked; endlessly repeated riffs, gloomy lyrics, an uninspiring lead vocal and all of it as subtle as a brick though a plateglass window. Yet for some reason I always liked them. I guess there's just something about that boiling oil Hammond sound, and the who-the-hell-cares-anyway attitude of the lead guitar. Somehow they do it all just so well - kind of Black Sabbath meets Caravan. I think there must have been a lot of leatherwear in the band. That would explaine everything.
VINE VOICEon 16 March 2011
I remember buying this when it came out and being knocked out by it and I still love it all these years later, with a CD copy in my possession. Full blast in the car - great! Some of Vincent Crane's keyboard work is quite astonishing. The atmosphere he creates on all the tracks is crucial but John Ducanns' guitar work also adds so much to the mix, as others have said and although he would probably agree that he hasn't the greatest voice - it actually does the job perfectly here. The superb keyboards, guitar work, brooding feel to it all and some pretty good lyrics all make this a bit of a classic and one acknowledged as such by many, even if it does not seem to ever reach the list of 'greatest' albums: but then when '1000 albums you must hear...' can include all of Dexys' albums and not this one by Atomic Rooster or many other classics (including Steve Miller....etc) tells you a lot! Bless em for creating this for posterity.
on 2 January 2012
One of the best/most underrated heavy/progressive rock bands of the early 70s and this was their finest hour (i.e. 40 minutes!). Excellent, melodic, riffy rock with an occult theme throughout plus the alternately churchy/throaty Hammond organ of the late, great Vince Crane (q.v. Arthur Brown/Dexy's Midnight Runners). Sadly, death has now caught up with all three band members (as with the Jimi Hendrix Experience) but they've left behind a weighty (not ponderous!) memorial in this fabulous album. For rock trivia fans: the original LP (I have a signed copy) was one of the first to feature a band photo (taken in Highgate Cemetery, natch!) on the record label itself. Spooky!
on 27 February 2009
Bought this 1971.Played it today on delivery from amazon.Great record from a sadly neglected band.
on 3 April 2013
From the moment I saw this listed I just had to have it. I bought this album back in the 70's but like most things they change and I haven't played it or had the instrument to play it on. Now on CD it sounds more solid but still retains it's greatness. The organ playing is of that era but still great. It holds a place in history and of an age when music was listened to and enjoyed. 10 out of 10.
on 29 September 2012
It's difficult to pigeonhole Atomic Rooster. At this stage in their career they were a crossover prog band. There are plenty of keyboards on this album, but also a heavy, doom-laden feel not dissimilar to Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid' which was released around the same time. Having said that though songs 1 through to 6 are corkers by anyone's standard.
on 9 November 2010
I remember this from my teenage years. I think this is their best album. Nice to see it turn up in CD format. The title track is the best. Favourites like Tomorrow night of course are there.
on 25 January 2016
Other than Tomorrow Night my only memories of Atomic Rooster are a lunchtime gig at the London Lyceum and their appearance at the Oval cricket ground concert in 1971 headlined by the Who. The Lyceum did a short series of free lunchtime gigs in 1970/71 and I went along because of Tomorrow Night. It's not often you attend a gig in your work suit and then sit on the floor to listen to the music. Enjoyable but then I'm a sucker for the Hammond organ and they were always going to be a support act rather than the headliner. I see that sadly they are all dead now.