‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Vincent's finest 35 minutes, 20 July 2007
Gavin Wilson - See all my reviews
Of the trio who made this album, two (drummer Paul Hammond and keyboards/bass man Vincent Crane) died some time ago -- Hammond in an 'accident' and Crane in a 1989 depression-triggered suicide. Thus there's a macabre irony about the title of this LP and the cover shot of the threesome sitting in a graveyard.

But as a 70s teenager, I thought these dark allusions rather cool. The band appeared carefree in their scruffy, unkempt clothes, but as the sleeve-notes from Chris Welch revealed, the band members lived in filthy poverty until the success of this, their second album. Vincent Crane played piano, Hammond organ and and a rather indistinct bass -- either through the keyboard or the organ pedals -- presumably because the band couldn't afford a fourth musuician to play bass guitar. In that respect, Atomic Rooster reminds of Van Der Graaf Generator, who relied on organist Hugh Banton to provide bass for 'Pawn Hearts' etc.

The music is almost uniformly great, the interplay between guitar and organ being highly reminiscent to me now of Jon Lord and Ritchie Blackmore. But this 1970 album would have been released at about the same time as 'Deep Purple In Rock' so I suspect the influence flowed in both directions. Crane at times also sounds like Keith Emerson.

But the lesson of ELP vs Atomic Rooster is that for a trio to succeed, you had to be either outstanding musicians or all be good-looking. Sadly Crane was not a 'looker'. When you see repeats of Arthur Brown's 'Fire' on Top of the Pops, there are almost no shots I can remember of Crane, despite this being half his composition.

For me, this is a great record, and certainly in my Top 100 rock albums. I still enjoy it, 35 years after first hearing it, which is more than I can say for other favourites of the period.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy rock album which deserves to be better known, 31 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Death Walks Behind You (Audio CD)
Atomic Rooster never quite made it into the first rank. This is their most coherent album and deserves to be much better known. Think Black Sabbath's first album and then forget it. This is less ponderous and creepy (despite the title). We've got Vincent Crane, keyboards; John Cann, guitar and vocals; Paul Hammond, drums. Death Walks Behind You: initially a lot of atmosphere, but then tedious. The masterpiece that wasn't. VUG: good instrumental, gets better. Tomorrow Night: totally original classic. Crane's hesitation on the brief piano intro is inspired. Great organ solo. Puts (or should put) A.R. into the history books. As a single, made it high into U.K. charts. Seven Streets: intense, frantic, frustrated. Sleeping For Years: nothing to it but a perfect simple riff. Hammond's bass drum funks it up. Guitar solo a big let-down ('Maybe I'll do a bit of this. Now I'll try a bit of that.'). I Can't Take No More: great, hard-driving rock. Paul Hammond inspired by ghosts of departed Apaches. Well-measured, considered solo from John Cann at the end -- unfortunately cut short. Nobody Else: strange ballad for A.R. John Cann does some uncharacteristic melodic guitar on this -- usually seems to be strangling his instrument. Gershatzer: instrumental with drum solo. Yes, I know, but this is different: Hammond's not as fast, maybe, as Carl Palmer (A.R.'s previous drummer), but is this stop-start and funky bass drum stuff really possible?

5.0 out of 5 stars Stepping Back In Time Or Still in Present Day, 12 Jun 2005
I cannot begin to explain the effect that hearing this felt like.Going back 30 years in time to my mis-spent youth but somehow still being very much in the present day.It blew my mind away and the cobwebs too.
I lost my vinyl- still had the sleeve.In my subconscious, I needed to hear it again so the memories would come flooding back.
Driving along with my impressionable 16 year old son, playing Atomic Rooster was unbelievable. How would he respond to it, I tentatively wondered? With disdain perhaps?
Thankfully not. He really enjoyed it and compared it to Maroon 5.He asked me to play it again.What better accolade could you get from the youth of today........
How come the re release in 2004?- chance or something more than a coincidence?
Favourite track- I love them all but love the build up to 'Sleeping For Years'
Go on, treat yourself to this gem of rock history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rooster At The Top Of Their Game, 23 Jun 2009
I saw Atomic Rooster live twice in 1970. Firstly with the Crane/Palmer/DuCann(Cann) line up and then the Crane/Parnell/DuCann temporary three piece. They were playing a mix of tracks from the first and the upcoming album (Death Walks....). Ric Parnell being replaced by Paul Hammond prior to recording. Death Walks Behind You as the title suggests is a dark voyage but full of terrific and at times aggressive rock. This was Roosters high point. Every track from the brooding opening track onwards stick in your head. Nothing they did later has the creative spark that this album has. After this DuCann was dumped from the line up (although he does appear on the third album where Pete French's mockney vocals don't do it for me)
So buy this album if you only want one Rooster CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take me right back, 7 Feb 2009
Firct heard this when I was 14! That was 39 years ago!!!

I have had two copies of it since and no I own it on CD too. It is great stuff. Vincent Crane is a brilliant keyboard player who also sang and played "one handed" bass guitar too, yes really! That was in a live enviroment as well! He went on to play in Dexy's Midnight hash though, and sadly died in 2004ish.

I love this album, you will too.... No, you WILL love it too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Death Walks Behind you, Atomic Rooster. A bit moody in places..., 7 Aug 2009
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I came to Atomic Rooster by a bit of a circuitous route. Being a great fan of Chris Farlowe, I bought the later Rooster albums featuring him, 'Made In England' and 'Nice and Greasy', out of completism. I enjoyed those so much I decided to give some of their non-Farlowe output a go.

This album was a bit of an eye opener. I hadn't really known what to expect, but what I got was a great dark heavy sound; a bit like early Black Sabbath, but with better lyrics. The opener really sets the tone. Moody, throbbing with a smouldering intensity, it's a classic 'dark' rock track. It's a great opener to any album, and what follows is just as good. The musicianship is top notch, my only (slight) quibble is that the vocalist isn't quite up to the job. I can see why Mr. Farlowe was recruited for later albums.

The CD mastering is pretty good, giving a nice clean sound. The CD extras are OK, but I didn't think added that much to the original album. The packaging is good with an interesting set of liner notes detailing the history of the band and the story behind the making of the album. A decent package.

4.0 out of 5 stars Its growing on me,like a rash., 28 April 2009
M. G. Czubkowski (Notts,uk) - See all my reviews
This is my first & only trip into the world of Atomic Rooster.They seem to be a cross between Black Sabbath & Jethro Tull,its dark & dull then upbeat & tunefull.Its like being hit round the head for 60 mins & i found it hard to listen to the entire CD in one sitting.Its not all bad,there is some good points.Vug was quite funky & Tomorrow Night is cracking,the title track Death Walks Behind You is a real mix,a slow creepy start that builds & builds to what i thought was a monumental climax or a great guitar solo,it never came.An interesting disc that i will keep listening to.

5.0 out of 5 stars brittanica prog rock please note!, 29 Jan 2009
A. J. MEARS "john m" (devon uk) - See all my reviews
how could bbc four make a programme on prog rock and never mention Atomic Rooster? this album was ground breaking at the time, and this remaster sounds brilliant now! not to too many extra tracks either, those that are included do enhance the album. If you're an old rocker? buy it! if you are young and like Black Mountain? buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A SLEEPER FOR YEARS, 23 Mar 2009
Imagine a group which has the best elements of Arthur Brown, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Emerson Lake and Palmer,... the image which forms should be ATOMIC ROOSTER and 1970's "DEATH WALKS BEHIND YOU" is certainly their best album, it's pure and simply a rollicking, experimental heavy progressive album by three virtuoso troubadour's. Keyboardist Vincent Crane passed away not so long ago, but the great man will always live on because of the brilliant music he left behind. "DEATH WALKS BEHIND YOU" by ATOMIC ROOSTER is a superior Progressive Rock classic, by probably the most underated group ever. This album should be at the forefront of any record collection, buy it now for Vince's sake.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Crazy World of Atomic Rooster, 16 April 2009
Atomic Rooster were very much the kind of band I never liked; endlessly repeated riffs, gloomy lyrics, an uninspiring lead vocal and all of it as subtle as a brick though a plateglass window. Yet for some reason I always liked them. I guess there's just something about that boiling oil Hammond sound, and the who-the-hell-cares-anyway attitude of the lead guitar. Somehow they do it all just so well - kind of Black Sabbath meets Caravan. I think there must have been a lot of leatherwear in the band. That would explaine everything.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Death Walks Behind You...Plus
Death Walks Behind You...Plus by Atomic Rooster (Audio CD - 2006)