4.0 out of 5 stars It's not 'bad'
We purchased this little dyson for times when you have irritatingly small jobs that you need a hoover for, but don't feel like lugging the large hoover in and out of the cupboard.
I have twin girls, so you can imagine the mess!

Published on 14 Dec. 2006 by Mrs. E. Evans

3.0 out of 5 stars Great expectations
I have an original Dyson upright cleaner and well impressed by Dyson technology so I splashed out and bought this Dyson baby.
The down side is that the battery charge only lasts for just six minutes.
Published on 18 Aug. 2007 by Christine A. Gurr

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not 'bad', 14 Dec. 2006
Mrs. E. Evans "foxygames" (Rainham, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dyson DC16 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
I have twin girls, so you can imagine the mess!

If you are looking for a vacuum cleaner, and expecting the productivity of the larger corded types, then forget this little one. However, if like me, you need it for cleaning up the crumbs and clearing day to day mess, like kitchen worktops after cutting bread etc, then this little one is perfect.

I think that many reviews I have read are from people who wanted a miniature dyson, which was pretty much the same as their large one, but in my opinion, dyson couldn't really have done much more when designing it. It is light (weighs less than 3lbs), it looks nice, it's not huge, so it'll fit in your kitchen cupboard, and it has an easy empty function which is great, one click of a button and the dust is in the bin with no mess.
Yes the battery is a bit pants, but if they had made it with a bigger battery, you would never have been able to pick the thing up! It would have made it extremely heavy and cumbersome. And after all, it was never intended to be a full sized vacuum, it's a glorified dustbuster, so you can't really complain. Also I do believe that with each subsequent charge, my dyson is eeking a little more power into the battery each time, bit like when you get a new mobile, they tell you it won't get up to full capacity until you've charged and fully discharged it a few times.

I can do the stairs and around the edges of my hall and landing thoroughly before it runs out. Today for example I got about 8 minutes out of it, which was plenty for me to do those two jobs. It's IDEAL for the stairs in fact because I almost break my neck every time I try to hoover them lugging my cylinder dyson up and down them, teetering precariously on each step!

All in all I am not too disappointed with my little dyson. I think the price could be a tad cheaper - say RRP of £.. instead of over £.., but when you think of the technology you're buying, it's not really so bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 20 Jun. 2007
Nix75 (Kingswood, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dyson DC16 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
I was a bit worried when I ordered the DC16 as the reviews of its battery life were appalling. However I haven't found this to be the case. I know that it is a bit expensive but it is excellent with no loss of suction, super cool design, and it is a Dyson after all. It is not intended for use to clean the whole house but to hoover up small messes at a time. As long as it is replaced on the charger after every use I have never had the battery die on me.

It is so useful especially cleaning up after 2 children, who are forever leaving a trail of crumbs behind them!!

Great little gadget, worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars This product is equivalent to a dustbuster not a hoover, 11 July 2007
Dee Martin (Bromsgrove, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dyson DC16 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
I nearly didn't buy this Dyson cleaner having read the reviews but went ahead anway as I was looking for a product that had a better performance than the dustbusters I had used over the last 10 years.

I have not been disappointed at all and in fact this cleaner has surpassed my expecatation.

If you need an easy to use but powerful cleaner to clear up mealtime detritus, mud on stairs etc then this has a much better performance than the 3 different dustbusters I had over the years due to the power of the suction and the useability of the included adaptors. By implication you are generally not needing it for a 6min clean and I have not had any problems wtih the battery running out or time taken to recharge. It is robust - capable of withstanding my 3year old dropping it down the stairs and has become invaluable in a very short period of time.

However if you are looking for a hoover equivalent, you will be disappointed as that is not the function this product was designed for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great expectations, 18 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Dyson DC16 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
The down side is that the battery charge only lasts for just six minutes.
Given that fact, they are six powerful minutes and user has to remember to switch on and off when moving the cleaneer from one area to another to save battery. The good news is that the battery charges remarkably quickly.

Dear James Dyson, how about creating a Dyson DC16 which could be plugged into the mains?

I pondered on whether to keep baby Dyson or return it after realising net reports on battery use time were correct, but it does the job and gets to places other cleaners cannot reach. However,the DC16 lives in a plastic bag and rarely makes public appearances on the grounds I forget I own one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for what it is, 2 Feb. 2007
Bruce Napier "Bruce in Sanity" (Inland Waterways of England UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dyson DC16 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
This is a very useful gadget, as long as you understand it's a dustbuster type machine, not a miniature version of the corded Dyson. You get around six to eight minutes use per charge, and it takes three hours to charge from stone cold flat. It's intended to sit on its charger all the time. In this respect it's like a cordless drill - it's for tasks that don't involve protracted running, but brief shots to clean up corners, under radiators or whatever.

Positives - funky appearance (we've called ours Blake, 'cos it runs for seven minutes and looks like something off the Liberator), easy emptying, full suction all the time.

Negative - it would be good to be able to charge the battery out of the cleaner, and to be able to buy a spare battery, the way you can with other cordless tools.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little cleaner, 23 Aug. 2007
Mr. Mischief (Guernsey) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dyson DC16 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
First off, let's get one thing out of the way - this obviously isn't a replacement for your main vacuum cleaner. It's pretty loud for a handheld but not as powerful as a 'full' Dyson, whilst its battery only lasts for a few minutes, so it's not really ideal for carpets or heavy use. You also can't plug it into a socket whilst using it either, so it really is intended as a supplement to your home machine and for getting into places where it would be awkward to try to get a home machine into.

Having said all of that, it's very powerful for a handheld cleaner and copes very well with the daily build-up of dust and debris in my home. I find the battery charge perfectly adequate for everyday chores, particularly when you bear in mind the power of the machine. It's also smaller than I thought when I first saw pictures of it and it really isn't that heavy, although some flexibility in the neck would have been nice to get into harder to reach places. I also would have liked to see a proper brush tool included for cleaning curtains and upholstery, but I don't think it was never intended to be used in this way so this isn't too much of a problem. Dyson sell a DC16 tool kit containing these items and others, so I guess this omissions are easily remedied if you feel you need them.

I also have a Dyson cylinder cleaner and I have found the DC16 to be an indispensable addition to my cleaning arsenal, at least as useful as its bigger brother and definitely worth the money. I think anyone buying one would find themselves much more likely to clean up when it's just a matter of getting the DC16 off the wall as opposed to having to get out, plug in and lug around a larger machine.

And lastly, it might be a minor issue for many but the icing on the cake for me (and maybe for any self-respecting bachelor) is its looks - I reckon you'd find one in the cleaner's cupboard of the Starship Enterprise!

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful little sucker - and looks like something from Dr Who!, 8 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Dyson DC16 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
I don't often write reviews and I guess this machine has been reviewed plenty anyway... but I must add my 5stars to it, as I absolutely love this handheld vaccum!!
I was looking for something strong and it had to have a brush attachment. This was the only one I can find and I am so pleased I bought it even though I originally thought the price was rather steep for a "dustbuster" thingy. I also added the purple brush attachment, which cost another £14 or so. In the end I found that I have used it once, as the brush that is cleverly attached to the Dyson is fantastic to vaccum our new sofas.
But I now am using it for every little crumb, which I didn't expect. So much easier than getting the big thing out and plugging it in, when the kids just spill sand on the stairs or cut paper into tiny pieces upstairs....
I love this thing. We have even a name for it: "That's a job for CRISPY!"... No other machine in my house has a name! And my twelve year old thinks it looks like something from Dr Who, which can only be a good thing :0)
By the way, six minutes does get rid off all those daily bits, I've only once just ran out of battery and that was because I was on such a high sucking up little crumbs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dyson with no staying power, 1 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Dyson DC16 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
As usual with Dyson this gadget is beautifully designed and offers excellent no fade suction. The one potential drawback (and its not mentioned in any specification or in their literature) is that you get a MAXIMUM 4 minutes of use before the machine simply stops dead requiring a further 3 hour charge before the next 4 minutes of use. This may sound a ridiculously short period of use but actually these dust buster type machines are designed for small one off jobs - who would use this machine to hoover an entire room? Theres just about enough time to hoover out the car before it dies but then again theres no dust buster out there that gets anywhere near the performance of this Dyson. Lifetime washable filters are very easy to access and wash. The clear plastic bin which holds the debris is simplicity itself to empty via a trigger which releases the floor of the bin straight into your dustbin. The nozzle is well designed with a pull down sleeve brush which turns the nozzle into a soft brush. It also comes with a slim crevice tool. The LED light display gives a good idea of charge left as well as doubling up for possible fault displays. In summary - a fantastic cleaning gadget for 4 minutes at a time!

4.0 out of 5 stars harish, 17 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Dyson DC16 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
It certainly better than the other handheld hoover predominently due to the Lithium ion battery. It is reasonably powerful and easy to use. My 2 year old son can operate the same. It may not be as powerful as the other dyson's but it certainly has its uses. In particular if a quick clean and tidy job is necessary. Bit pricey but in my opinion well worth it. Have tried other other handheld hoovers in the past and have been seriously disappointed

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks great and costs a lot, 4 Nov. 2006
W. N. Bartlett "Bill Bartlett" (Giggleswick School, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dyson DC16 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
It looks great (a bit like a gun from a sci-fiction film) and it's expensive! My hope was that it might inspire a few boys in the boarding house where I work to take up the vacuum and VOLUNTARILY clean-up their mess. So far only a few have had a go but I live in hope. The charge lasts for 5 minutes 24 seconds (day 3 of use) and it works fine for that amount of continual use. Useful for sucking up mud on carpets, cleaning the stairs and for quick clean-up jobs. The "cyclone" as spotted on all Dysons works well and the suction is OK for the full 5 minutes 24 seconds. It won't replace your trusty mains attached hoover in the house but for places where that won't go this does a pretty good job. It may win some design awards but our school design technology expert tells me that technically the plastic molding has some flaws and was taken out of the mould while too hot (you won't notice this)! I have not worked out how long it takes to charge-up fully after use (the poor instruction manual indicates 3 hours) but certainly once it has been discharged and put on the charger it will work again after about 20 minutes but only then for 10 seconds or so.

Dyson DC16 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner