4.0 out of 5 stars mummy is behind the sofa again!
Published on 20 Mar 2008 by Angela Matthews

3.0 out of 5 stars Big Screen Films for Dr Who & the Daleks
Peter Cushing stars as the eponymous Doctor in battling his most feared and popular enemies the Daleks in these two films, Dr Who & the Daleks (1965) and Daleks - Invasion Earth 2150 AD (1966). The first film is set on the Daleks' home planet Skaro and the second is located in London. For some viewers this may bring back memories of 45 years ago crowding into the local...
Published on 14 Nov 2010 by Mr. P. L. Mooney

4.0 out of 5 stars mummy is behind the sofa again!, 20 Mar 2008
Angela Matthews "angie, mum of 2 boys" (suffolk, england) - See all my reviews
I saw these Dalek films 35 years ago and peed my pants...the bit where the Dalek comes out of the Thames still sends shivers down my spine...and my boys aged 3 and 5 watch it ALL the time. I half expected them not to like the old films because they are SO old. How wrong I was! These two films have truly stood the test of time and will keep your dalek fans happy on many a rainy afternoon.

5.0 out of 5 stars We all have our Doctors, we all have our Daleks, 22 July 2011
S. D. Spicer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Peter Cushing is often the forgotten Doctor, but in reality he's one of the best. I liked him a lot and seeing these films again I still do.

Here we have the two Dalek films from the 1960s, when Daleks were to be feared rather than the blobby plasticy creations of late. I can remember being riveted to the screen when I saw these as a 10 year old. The first because we got a glimpse of the Dalek creature (too hideous to be seen...) , and the second because it is just scary. The Daleks are big, intense and not stupid.

The second film in the series, Invasion Earth is the better one if you can ignore Bernard Crippens hamming it up as the comedy turn. Here the Daleks are truly menacing and the the whole film rolls on much more grippingly than the slow burn TV series on which it is based.

Now when I watch these films again, my heart still beats a bit faster even through I have seen these many times. They say you date yourself by 'your' doctor - for the record - Hartnell - but I think you also have your Dalek and the film Daleks are mine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Dr. Who, 9 Nov 2007
Two very camp classic Dr. Who films at a very good price.

They come in a regular Dvd case with a nice glossy slipcase outer cover. The Dvd's no longer come with the trading cards and poster(advertised at time of purchase), but at this price I didn't mind.

As for the films, I've never seen them look better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dalek Invasion Of The Cinema: 1960s A.D, 21 Jun 2011
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Doctor Who has weathered differing levels of popularity over the decades and cemented itself as a British institution. When the series first aired in the 'sixties, it was well received but surprisingly, the biggest stars weren't The Doctor and his TARDIS assistants - instead the runaway stars were the pepperpot-esque baddies who appeared in the second story of the first series. The Dalekmania which followed meant that a big screen outing for the Daleks seemed financially viable and fans could finally see the nations favourite aliens in full colour.

Instead of a new story, the first Dalek film was a remake of the first Dalek TV serial. The same treatment was given to the second film, this time it was a remake of the classic "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" story which featured in the second series. It's clear that the production values are much better for the big-screen, the wobbly sets are gone, coloured lights flash on consoles and the visual effects don't look home made. It is well known among Doctor Who fans that the film is not part of established Doctor Who canon, this is independent to the TV series and Peter Cushing plays "Dr. Who"; a role based on the BBC character rather than The Doctor himself.

The first film wastes no time and only six minutes in, we are introduced to the main characters as they travel in the TARDIS to a strange land populated by Thals, their bright eye makeup making the most of Technicolour! It's also not long before the Daleks make an appearance, though it's not quite as scary as the cliff-hanger from the TV series where they first made an appearance. They do look impressive however with their bright colours and flashing lights, the shrill voice ensures that they remain the stars of the film and Dalek fans can delight that although they are a little bit different, they are still essentially the same metal monsters we all love. It's a faithful retelling of the TV serial which enabled audiences to see the Daleks on the big screen, and the second film is a more ambitious affair which sees the Daleks land on Earth.

The colours in the second film seem even more vivid and the sets are large, beyond anything the telly series could deliver. The Dalek's 'dual disk' flying saucer is very impressive (especially when compared to the 'model on a string' effort from the original TV story) and this has the feel of a rather epic Science-Fiction film, again with good doses of comedy thrown in. I personally enjoy Peter Cushing's portrayal as the doctor in the Dalek movies, he captures a childlike wonder, finding everything fascinating and his enthusiasm gives the grandfather figure great energy. His passion for adventure perhaps best displayed during the opening to the first film when we see his grandchildren reading science books while he is reading a comic. Wonderful, eccentric and warm (if a little war hungry!), it's easy to see how younger audiences may have found him a more accessible character than William Hartnell's doctor, who was often perceived as a tad grumpy.

It's a quality film and as I watched it again recently I marvelled at the visuals (even though some are now a bit dated) but felt that something was missing. There's an element of suspense which is absent from both of these films, it's something which the TV series was able to build over a prolonged period of time. A perfect example of this is the recreation of one of the most iconic scenes in Doctor Who history - the lone Dalek emerging from the Thames. In the original TV episode it was a scene with great gravitas - you can imagine jaws dropping when it first aired and even now it remains a captivating moment. In the film however it doesn't have the same level of intensity, the Daleks are less menacing and it only served to remind me how incredible the original telling of these stories were. Perhaps remaking two legendary stories wasn't the best idea, the benchmark was high, completely new stories may have allowed these to escape the shadows of the TV series. They lack some of the subtle yet magical things which are incredibly significant in giving the TV series a unique style. The TARDIS noise, the theme tune, the reliance on story - all these things are as big a part of Doctor Who as The Doctor himself and although the films do work without them, it's obvious that they aren't 'real' Doctor Who and they lack some of the magic the BBC had created.

This DVD package contains not only the two films but also the documentary 'Dalekmania' which explores how the Daleks have established themselves as cult characters in popular British culture. The DVD comes in a cardboard sleeve and contains several collectors cards (my edition has seven, one of which is signed by one of the actresses playing a Thal), there's also a small movie poster for Dalek Invasion Earth 2150AD.

In a nutshell: These two films recreate the first two Dalek serials of the TV series, they look good (mostly) and are well acted with considerably upgraded visual effects. They don't retell the story any better than the TV series however and the original black and white episodes are still the best way to enjoy these two Dalek plots. Even so, these films are still better than many other Science-Fiction features and the DVD release is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dalek experience, 20 Jan 2009
Two wonderful films - Roy Castle showing "If you wanna be the best, if you wanna beat Daleks...Extermination's what you need!"(Apologies to Record Breakers)and Bernard Cribbins making a prophetic early appearance before being regenerated many years later as Donna Noble's grandfather.
Just to add a bit of colour, can I say that, back in 1964/5,I saw the iconic scene from Daleks:Invasion Earth 2150 AD when the Dalek emerges from the Thames being filmed. I was a young lad at the time on my way back home from a cub scouts morning (ah, bless!) and went past the filming area at some old riverside warehouses around the Battersea area. My father and I watched the Dalek being repeatedly dragged out of the river at the end of a thin wire until they got the scene just right.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia trip, 13 Jun 2011
Lambchop (Crawley,West sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
I remember these films as a child and purchased this as I imagine other people have done as a trip down memory lane.I stopped watching doctor who many years ago and the last one I watched I believe was a christmas one with Kylie Minogue with a sort of spoof titanic in space story.Thought it might be amusing as a titanic buff.The fact Ms Minogue was in it is another story lol.What struck me was the bad acting and limp cgi effects that supposedly make Dr Who so wonderful these days.Other reviews of this put the old films down purely because these effects are missing and so called poor acting.If thats the case nothing has changed.Enjoy these films for what they are

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dalek movies, 4 Feb 2010
John Jary (London) - See all my reviews
CLASSIC!!,,,,
Spent a wonderful afternoon with my son, watching peter cushing save the universe ,,twice.
While not being recognized as a 'real' dr who movie Peter Cushing is, in my oppinion, a great one.
Fans of the new Dr Who TV shows will enjoy seeing bernard Cribbins as a much younger actor as opposed to his current role as donna noble's grandfather, lets see the script writers work that one out,,lol
A Treasure for all Who fans

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Films - Great Fun!, 8 May 2008
DSR (out beyond the sticks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I'm one of those fortunate people who remember the Daleks from the very beginning (December '63 to be precise). I also remember being very excited about these films when they were originally released, watching the first one in a cinema in Slough with my parents and a friend and the second one with my Dad in Aylesbury.

The feel of these films is very different from the BBC TV originals, but it was great to see the Daleks in colour on the big screen and then go home to read the weekly "TV (Century)21" comic, which featured stills from the film and an excellent, now legendary, Dalek strip on the back cover.

The first film stays quite true to the TV story in my opinion, with only the excessively stilted Dalek dialogue (their lights flashed almost continually in this film) and the clouds of steam emanating from their blasters being detracting to an anorak like me. The size of the film stage(s) helped enormously to give a sense of scale to this film, the petrified forest especially looking superb even now. The control room, although a bit dated now, is a fine size, allowing plenty of room for the action to take place. I soon got used to the different actors and rather liked the great Peter Cushing's bumbly Doctor.

The second film was even more impressive in many ways. The Daleks were painted more like the "real thing" and much of the grittiness of the original story transferred over. However, although supposedly 2150, the scenes and sets are all early nineteen-sixties London, with no advanced technology on view except from the Daleks themselves... The Dalek space-ship flying through the sky was very well done, despite the DVD showing the strings holding it up occasionally...

I bought the first DVD issue of these discs for my young son (and I!) to watch a few years ago and they've been played many, many times now and given very much enjoyment over the last few years. We still watch these films when they come on the TV from time to time and they're a pleasure to watch.

If you've a young budding Dalek fan in the family, please buy them these films, as despite the forty years plus since their original cinema release, they're as much fun to kids now (and their Dads[and Mums?]), as they were to me back then. The current "New Series" Daleks on TV are even based on these film versions with large lights and bases...........

Go on, BUY IT. You know you want to................

4.0 out of 5 stars Get Dalek overload with this little lot, 22 Mar 2008
Great package for a superb price, this is an absolute must for any Dr.Who fan, young or old. These films have a superior atmosphere than most stages of the TV series did. I'm not a massive fan myself, certainly of the post Tom Baker versions, but I did remember these films to be especially compelling, so I had to buy them (for a snip at this price), and I was quite impressed all over again, especially with the second film. The first movie did remind a lot of HG Wells' Time Machine, with those pasty looking passifists living underground and under the yoke of the cruel Daleks. It is quite Wellsian in its pseudo scientificness as well, and has a real feel of sc-fi about, unlike the increasingly fantasy based TV series of the 70s and beyond.

The second film shows a lot of development from the first and is a much more entertaining adventure. This is more War of the Worlds Wells in style and has a fair bit of Orwell about it too. It's beautifully British (and cheap) looking, and very sci-fi. Both movies have good visually based scenes with an atmosphere worthy of Hammer films, and some great music adding to the flavour. Cushing was also a great choice as a slighty doddering old eccentric with a passion for complex astro physics and of course, time travel. Great hokey stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars `This is Invasion Earth - 2150 AD! This is Invasion Earth - 2150 AD!' - Daleks on the big screen!, 16 Dec 2013
`Most exciting!'

The Peter Cushing era of `Doctor Who'. This DVD collection contains the two `Doctor Who' movies that were shown around the 1960s featuring the Daleks. The movies were fuelled by the Dalekmania that was happening at the time since the public were excited by these popular pepper pots with their catchphrase of `Exterminate!'. They're not part of the Doctor Who universe that we know and love today as they're completely separate (what you might call alternative continuity). So don't take these films too seriously, as they're films to enjoy with the Daleks.

My parents bought this DVD for me whilst I getting into 'Doctor Who' at the time in 2007. I didn't really pay much attention to these films and wasn't too keen on watching them since they're not part of 'Who' continuity. But once I got into watching these films I certainly enjoyed them when watching for the first time and seeing Doctor Who movies with the Daleks and Peter Cushing's Doctor.

The movies are adaptions of the first two Doctor Who stories with the Daleks, and were produced by Milton Subotsky and Max J. Rosenberg of Amicus Productions. Milton Subotsky wrote the screenplay for both films with help from David Whittaker (who was `Doctor Who's' script editor at the start of the series) based on Terry Nation's TV scripts. They were both directed by Gordon Flemying, who would work on some of the popular TV shows of the 60s including `The Saint' and `The Avengers'.

`DR WHO AND THE DALEKS'

The first movie is based on the first Dalek story 'The Daleks'. It stars Peter Cushing who plays Dr Who; Roy Castle as Ian Chesterton and Jennie Linden and Robert Tovey who play the Doctor's granddaughters Barbara and Susan.

The reason being why Peter Cushing was cast as the Doctor and not William Hartnell was because the TV show was still being made at the BBC and William Hartnell was working non-stop to make the programmes so couldn't be available. Also the films were intended to be sold across the globe and needed transatlantic names to sell them worldwide. The fact that these films are spin-offs and not part of `Doctor Who' continuity make them easier to enjoy as there are certain differences between the films and TV series. One notable difference is the fact that Peter Cushing's Doctor is not a Time Lord from Gallifrey as he is simply a human scientist who built the TARDIS himself and is simply called Dr Who (with `Who' being his surname, since he's called `the Doctor' in the TV series). The TARDIS interior also looks entirely different from the TV one as it's a jumble of controls sprawled all over the place and completely unlike and unfamiliar to the TARDIS hexagonal set we all know. It's all fantasy, but it's heck of a lot of fun.

Peter Cushing as Dr Who is very unlike William Hartnell entirely, since Peter's Doctor is more gentlemanly, elderly and rather sweet and gentle at heart. Not like the fiery spirit of the Doctor we all know, which I wondered why it wasn't there in the film series. But seeing Peter as Dr Who is truly a pleasure to watch since he really captivates you from the word go.

He has a certain eccentricity and is really into his scientific inventions like the TARDIS (or simply 'TARDIS' as he calls her). He gets on very well with his granddaughter Susan (who's a little girl) and seems to have a charismatic fondness for Ian and shows concern for his other granddaughter Barbara. He also knows how to face the Daleks and defy them when they want to destroy the Thals and destroy Skaro completely. I love the moment when Peter's Doctor challenges the Thals to fight the Daleks, persuading Ian to take Dyoni and Alydon punching him and Peter's Doctor proving to the Thals that they 'will fight for something'. It was something done in the TV story as well only it was Ian trying to persuade the Thals, but it's still a lovely moment both for TV and movie versions of the story.

For me, Peter Cushing has appeared in the first Star Wars film - `A New Hope'; and is well known for many horror films before this. I've also seen him in some of the Christmas editions of the Morecambe and Wise show. To see him take on the role of the Doctor was unusual to me at the time, but it was certainly a happy viewing experience.

Another actor I recognise in this is a very young Roy Castle playing Ian Chesterton - who is Barbara's boyfriend in the film (not like in the TV series where Ian and Barbara were school teachers). Roy is well known for his appearances in the `Carry On' films, presenting the children's show `Record Breakers' and narrated many of the Scripture Union videos for children which I've seen as he became a committed Christian. Sadly Roy died very tragically in 1994 years later.

Here he plays Ian who's a rather clumsy and bumbling sort of chap unlike his TV counterpart. It was Ian who started off their adventure by accidentally sitting on the big red control lever (though that was Barbara's fault when she lovingly embraced him and Dr Who still blamed him). You'd think to look at Ian he's incapable of being the hero. But as a matter of fact he is when he's escaping from being trapped in the Dalek casing, when he and the others throw a control panel into the lift shaft to stop a Dalek getting at them; and during the climax when he shouts to the Daleks and they destroy the `countdown' for their bomb and it stops at `3' - his lucky number.

I did enjoy Ian's comic moments in the film. The bit with Ian not being able to get through a door and when he sits down it opens; and he tries to get in but it won't let him in as if it's got a grudge against him. Very funny stuff. Also when Ian keeps tripping up when they're in the petrified jungle when leaning against a tree or falling into a `soft centre' monster statue as well as sitting on some `soft centre' chocolates for Barbara at the beginning were funny stuff to watch. Ian's a good chap at heart and does his best despite his clumsiness. He's meant to be for comic relief and the uninitiated when joining Dr Who and his grandchildren on their adventures in TARDIS. His first reaction to the TARDIS interior and his shock reactions at seeing the alien planet and the Daleks were truly inspirational. Roy Castle did a superb job playing Ian in `Dr Who and the Daleks'.

I also enjoyed watching Jennie Linden who played Barbara (who I've seen in `The Saint' with Roger Moore). Barbara in the movie is a sweet person and rather shy. She easily gets frightened when it comes to Daleks and being on the alien planet, but she is quite resourceful especially when she comes up with the idea of throwing `mud' onto the Dalek's eyestalk. My favourite sequence in the film is where all the four characters get together to discuss how to defeat the Daleks and immobilse them from their static electrical power from the floor. Barbara is brave in the face of danger as well as showing a vulnerability, which makes a truly believable character to watch.

Roberta Tovey plays Susan, the Doctor's youngest granddaughter, who is a little girl - this is to appeal for the children in the movie audiences who watch this. I'm sure little Roberta had a lovely time playing Susan and enjoyed herself on the movie set with the Daleks. Susan in this has inherited her grandfather's spirit and is quite mischievous and a bit of a know-all really. But he's full of adventure and a joy to watch. Roberta truly does a remarkable job learning her lines and playing the part of Susan with conviction especially when she's in TARDIS and with the Daleks.

The Daleks here are also fabulous to watch. The Daleks in the movies look like the ones from the new series with those huge lights when they speak, except they have different colour schemes to identify their hierarchy and status. I love the Daleks ranging from black, to red, to blue and silver. They became the inspiration for the Daleks' look in `Victory of the Daleks', which turned out to be awful in my opinion. I love those moments when the Daleks got into a state of panic like when one Dalek took food and got himself caught in Dr Who, Ian, Barbara and Susan's trap and it ranted and raved saying `Help, cannot see them! Help, cannot see them! Help!' They are truly sensational in this movie and I enjoyed every moment watching what the Daleks did and I'm sure they were spectacular on the big screen.

Other cast members worth mentioning are the actors who played the Thals in the movie include Barry Ingham as Alydon; Michael Coles as Ganatus and Yvonne Antrobus as Dyoni. Their eye and skin make-up can get a little getting used to, but as aliens on an strange planet they look stunning and convincing as Thals.

This is my favourite Dalek movie with Peter Cushing's Doctor. It's a lot of fun and truly something to enjoy with your kids. It's not to be taken too seriously and it has fine performance from a stunning cast including Peter Cushing, Roy Castle, Jennie Linden and Robert Tovey...oh! And of course the Daleks who steal the show.

On this DVD for `Dr Who and the Daleks', there's an feature-length audio commentary track with Jennie Linden and Roberta Tovey, moderated by a Peter Cushing biographer.

`DALEKS - INVASION EARTH 2150 AD'

The second Dalek film with Peter Cushing and it's based on the second Dalek TV story 'The Dalek Invasion Of Earth'. And I must say this is a great improvement on the TV version of this story, which frankly I found rather dull and boring when watching it. This is a full-on action packed adventure and it has stood the test of time considering it was made in the 1960s.

The film stars Peter Cushing returning as Dr Who along with his granddaughter Roberta Tovey as Susan (who Peter asked for her to return if he'd do another movie, which I found rather sweet). They are also joined by Jill Curzon who plays the Doctor's niece Louise (I've seen Jill recently in `The Saint' as well with Roger Moore). Also there's Bernard Cribbins playing policeman Tom Campbell who walks into the TARDIS by mistake. Bernard would later play for me Mr Hutchinson in the `Fawlty Towers' episode `The Hotel Inspectors' as well doing voices for `The Wombles' and for Who fans play Wilfred Mott, Donna's granddad in the new series. Bernard is essentially playing the `Ian Chesterton' part just Jill Curzon is doing the `Barbara' part in the movie.

The movie also features a number of guest characters including Ray Brooks as freedom fighter David who's brave, heroic and `the boy with the knack'. There's also Andrew Kier playing the rough but good-hearted Wyler who shares an adventure with Susan when they're on their way to the Dalek mines in Bedfordshire. There's also a little guest appearance from Phillip Madoc (well known for his U-Boat captain character in `Dad's Army' and many Doctor Who villains) playing black market spiff Brockley. He's a nasty piece of work and I enjoyed his scenes when he tricks Peter Cushing's Doctor to being caught by the Daleks and then finds himself getting blown up in the house when the Daleks open fire upon it.

I'm very impressed with the Robomen in this, as they're far superior and better than the ones seen in the TV story. The Robomen are much more fighters than slaves to the Daleks and look good in a helmet. I love the action sequences when the freedom fighters attack the Dalek saucer and when Dr Who orders the Robomen to attack the Daleks as their final order. Their black suits and weaponry are truly inspirational and gives the Robomen the chance to kick butt. I found it funny when Bernard Cribbins' character Tom gets dressed up as a Roboman and has to fit in with the Robomen squad taking a break and having something to eat. It was truly a funny moment.

The spectacular Dalek spaceship sequences when it flies in the air are truly sensational and they've stood the test of time over the years. It's all very 60s style and manages to captivate when seeing the Daleks about to land or take off in places like London or Bedfordshire.

Sadly, the film didn't get as much success as the first Dalek film. Thus ended the Peter Cushing reign of Dr Who and no further Dalek films were to be made for cinema. This is a real shame as I would have liked to have seen more of these Dalek stories made into films. Imagine `Dr Who and the Chase' and what they would have done with the Mechanoids; or even `Dr Who and the Zarbi' - imagine that! I'm sure the producers would have a hard job to tackle `The Daleks' Master Plan' and make 12 episodes into a movie - unless they have the inspired idea of dividing the movie into two parts like `Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' did. Perhaps Big Finish will one day approach this movie series and reinvent it somehow, and perhaps get Robert Tovey, Jill Curzon, Jennie Linden and Bernard Cribbins on a reunion of these Dalek films. So it wasn't to be for the Daleks to have a long lasting list of appearances on the big screen, but the two Daleks are treasures to enjoy.

On the DVD for `Daleks - Invasion Earth 2150', there's an hour-long documentary called `Dalekmania' that focuses on the making of the two Dalek films made back in 1995. This includes interviews with Roberta Tovey (Susan), Jill Curzon (Louise), Barry Ingham (Alydon), Yvonne Antrobus (Dyoni), Marcus Hearn (film historian and archivist), Gary Gillatt (`Doctor Who Magazine' editor at the time), Terry Nation (creator of the Daleks), etc. There's also included on the documentary the original UK trailers for the two movies. It's a very informative and insightful documentary that celebrates the making of these two films.

So the two Peter Cushing Dr Who films are a joy to watch. It's rather sad his Doctor doesn't get mentioned a lot in `Doctor Who' terms, but he's certainly a joy to watch. I've enjoyed these Dalek films as they're such great fun and it's nice to know there was some `Doctor Who' in movie form at the cinema. It'd be interesting if they ever did an original Doctor Who film again for cinema, whether it's with the Daleks or not. Truly two enjoyable films and with the Daleks involved you can't go wrong.

ARRAY(0xb5df69a8)