Format: DVD|Change

on 26 December 2009
Dont know the show very well but must say...Good condition...but...the box set is a quite different than the one in the picture....the real one is a quite cheaper...check out my photos which i definitely post there)
review image review image review image
on 19 August 2014
This is one of my most favourite television series' ever...so much so that I have re-watched all 5 seasons a countless number of times. Call me mad, crazy, stupid whatever...but I just love it. It's got a great storyline that's easy to follow, and episodes usually end with a cliff hanger - making you want to immediately watch the next one. If you haven;t watched it yet...I envy you - you can experience everything - all the emotions, breath-taking scenes, shocking events and so on - for the first time. Bonus features also worth watching, which include informative spots on how filming is done, how they do special effects, create their own music, deleted scenes and - my personal favourites - blooper reels.

As to the contents of this item, you get a cardboard box with five DVD boxes - one for each season. There's also a bonus disc in the box of the final season. The box is of good quality although not that sturdy, but it serves its purpose well. Discs were not scratched or anything, video quality is high and so viewing experience is very enjoyable. I believe there's an American box design, which is more 'elaborate' and also contains some sort of booklet (not included in this version). Can't really comment on whether it's worth spending more for that version (since I don't have it, but might consider buying it later on), but either way...highly recommended!
on 3 November 2006
I only discovered Alias last year. For four years it had slipped under my radar.

It was through Lost and the whole J.J. Abrams connection that I decided to give this show a shot, and I was not to be disappointed. In fact, I ended up loving it so much that Lost was put into the shadow for a good few months.

Seasons 1 & 2 are the most polished pieces of TV work I've ever had the fortune to experience. Drama, intensity, emotion, mystery, surprises... everything you could possibly desire. There really isn't a dull moment in the entirety of the first 48 episodes.

While it might be true to say that the show lost its way slightly in Seasons 3 & 4 - perhaps too many standalone episodes and a few rehashed ideas - there's no question that it was still very enjoyable and still much better than most shows.

And though Season 5 suffered slightly due to being shorter than most fans (and no doubt the writers) would've liked, Alias was right back on form for it's final run as it built towards a fitting climax.

To summarise, I can't speak highly enough of this show. It has become my favourite TV show of all time. For high tempo action fused together with intriguing mystery, Alias is as good as it gets.

Buy this set and own every episode of the most under-rated show in history.
on 9 December 2006
Alias is such a fantastic series & I was so sad to see it end! - get the complete series if you can - its brilliant - THOUGH I do STRONGLY recommend you get the R1 version available on Amazon.com as it is so much better designed, lots of extras & much much smaller in size - The R2 version is simply the normal seasons 1-5 boxsets stuffed inside a big (I mean BIG) box with a Rambaldi design - anyhow whichever version you get you will love this series - but for die hard fans like me - only the R1 version will do!!!
on 28 November 2006
Just received this - the box contans all five series, each of which packaged in the same way as the individual series sets. There's a bonus disc in a 'slim' case and no book. The outer box is made of fairly sturdy cardboard. This is a cheap(ish) way to obtain all 5 series and the bonus disc, but not sure if this compares favourably with the R1 equivalent.
on 9 April 2012
I bought the Alias box set back in 2009 having never watched an episode but it was recommended by a friend so I thought I'd give it a go.... I'm so glad I did!! I've just finished watching it for the second time and it was just as brilliant as it was the first time! I'm not one for writing reviews and have never done so before but I had to comment on this amazing tv series, it had me glued to the tv from the very first episode and I had to keep watching them back to back!

In a nutshell, Sydney Bristow (Jennifer Garner) is a secret agent working at SD-6, a secret branch of the CIA. When her boss, Arvin Sloan, has her fiance killed after finding out that Sydney told him she's a secret agent, she finds out that SD-6 is not actually a part of the CIA but a rogue agency that her own father works for! She goes to the real CIA headquarters with this information only to find that they already know, they show her how big the rogue organisation really is and she becomes a double agent to help take them down!

If you've never seen Alias and are thinking of buying the box set, I highly recommend you do it - you won't be disappointed I promise! I've also just finished watching the complete Prison Break and Dexter box sets and although I thought they were great, they don't compare to Alias! Just be prepared to have no social life - you'll find yourself making excuses to not go out so you can stay in and watch these episodes back to back!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 December 2009
Soundtracks and Sub-titles vary, from Series to Series :

Series 1: Soundtracks in English, Italian and Spanish; sub-titles in English, English for the hearing impaired, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and Finnish.

Series 2: Soundtracks in English and French; sub-titles in English, English for the hearing impaired, French, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and Finnish, Icelandic and Dutch.

Series 3: Soundtracks in English and Spanish; sub-titles in English, English for the hearing impaired, French, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and Finnish, Icelandic and Dutch.

Series 4: Soundtrack in English only; sub-titles in English, English for the hearing impaired, French, Italian, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and Finnish and Dutch.

Series 5: Soundtrack in English only; sub-titles in English, English for the hearing impaired only.
33 comments|49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 February 2009
I just skip the Alias praise here as I agree with the rest of the reviewers. I just want to help out on the subject of the different box sets. The british version is apparently just the usual season boxes in one. The american one is a deluxe fanbox that's really rare. I don't know of many shows getting such a wonderful special edition with bonus material big time and a hidden compartment and a booklet and a beautiful design. The feeling when you take of the top and all 4 sides just fall down...

You can get this exact box in Germany as well with R2 discs! You choose a language first thing so you don't even have to bother with a german menu and it's a lot cheaper than the american one! Try to get your hands on that one once amazon.de restacked!
on 1 November 2007
I can't believe no-one has rated this supidly good product. Ok ok its a bit pricey but the sure entertainment and the package offset that easily. The package is beautifully crafted with fold down magnetic sides. Inside are all 5 seasons in lovely hardback book style cases. Also included is the coveted hardback book and a bonus disc hidden under a secret (but easy to find) compartment at the bottom of the box. If like me you're a fan of Alias THIS IS the set to get. There's a limited edition worldwide so should retain some value. Of course you need a multi region dvd player but hacks are easy to find or just buy one from Richer Sounds.

The programme making is exceptional even though you often have to suspend disbelief it is so worthwhile. The first two series are brilliant, the third one takes it to a different angle continuing into the fourth series which has a great cliffhanger ending leading into the shorter fifth series which introduces a few new characters which although necessary does slow proceedings down a little. The overall ending although not answering every question from the entire series is suitable enough if not over a little quickly. Still this does not deflect from the hours and hours of great fun and pleasure this series brings. Jennifer Garner is HOT and changes outfits 3 or more times an episode, all the cast members are excellent, the production design is great and money well spent on a show that deserved it.

Best thing about Alias: Marshall Flinkman, the genius! He's awesome, a true revelation and brings much needed comic timing to woeful situations. The guy's a legend, Kevin Weisman i salute you.

Buy it, watch it, love it.
on 17 May 2014
This is a rare thing these days; a sci-fi series that actually finishes (and not like Blake 7 where everyone gets killed in 10 minutes of the last episode - you have to watch that to believe it!).

I thoroughly enjoyed revisiting this, and would recommend it to anyone who wants something with long and fairly complicated stories with twists and turns for fun. You have to pay attention, though, because some things "happen", that later turn up as being untrue or were just a ruse. Too, there were a couple of places where I wasn't really sure what had happened to this or that character, and when they were referenced at a later stage, it made me scratch my head trying to remember whether the person had actually been shot or had just moved house.

Basically, Jennifer Garner dresses up (or is that undresses down?) and her disguise fools everyone into thinking that she's just a member of the public, and not a spy. Honest.

The stories move at a gallop, and have some interesting twists and turns, though I have to be honest that some of the arcs weren't very convincing - this had a lot to do with how many times this or that agent gets shot/stabbed/kicked/bludgeoned and yet is up and about 5 minutes later doing the gardening with hardly a scratch. For example, there's one scene in a church where Agent Bristow and a rather bad lady on the other side are giving it some really serious welly, with a dozen or so hefty headbangs on church pews, and still they fight on, and on. There was another where Sidney and her main squeeze (does anyone else remember when Michael Vaughan was the captain of the English cricket team?) were huddled together in a North Korean prison, and they both get clubbed in the head really hard with rifle butts a couple of times by baddies; one of these blows, judging from the force portrayed, would've fractured an elephant's skull, so two would've been enough to take a human head off at the hinges. I know, it's only fiction, but really.

The major continuing fault is that the "pick the lock in the basement/cellar, in a real hurry, and dispose of a few baddies in the process" was very repitative. At lest with a DVD you can fast forward past these scenes.

That said, there are some interesting stories in this five season boxset, and it's well worth the investment. I have to applaud the end, which had a couple of necessarily juicy twists. Particularly the last of these.