4.0 out of 5 stars Best treated as a fine collection of their music
Published on 6 Jun 2007 by Richard

3.0 out of 5 stars Good to listen to after going to the concert..
All the powerful tunes from the past are here. After going to their recent concert and feeling the need to listen to their back catalogue, this will suffice.
Published 9 months ago by felix

4.0 out of 5 stars Best treated as a fine collection of their music, 6 Jun 2007
This review is from: Best of Depeche Mode, Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
This 'best of' is probably aimed at the casual fan, as diehard's will not only own all of their albums, but also the two very comprehensive hit packages: '1981/1985' and '1986/1998'. However, this may not even be enough to cater for the casual fan as there are too many big hit singles missing, which is understandable given that this is a one cd 'best of' consisting of only 18 tracks that has to cover 1981 to the present day.

This little gem is best treated as a fine collection of their music, rather than a definitive 'best of'. The joy of this cd, is that you get a lot of variety by having a great cross section of hit singles spanning their entire career, including: 'Just Can't Get Enough', 'Everything Counts', 'Enjoy The Silence', 'Precious' etc. If nothing else, this makes a great guilty pleasure purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb introduction to a class act, 9 Nov 2006
C. T. J. Simpson (UK) - See all my reviews
Depeche Mode hold a unique place in music history - they have influenced many genres, continue to be a major influence on some of todays new breed, and have spanned nearly 3 decades producing ground breaking, innovative, yet incredibly compelling music. This collection offers little to existing followers like me, other than the outstanding new single 'Martyr', it does offer a fantastic opportunity for those new and/or curious about DM to access their back catalogue without the chronolgical sequence of the singles releases. The album offers insight into how the band has evolved from their early 'poppy' roots of 'just can't get enough' to honouring their values of continually pushing the boundaries of conventional sounding mainstream music - still very resonant in 2005's excellent 'Playing the Angel' offering.

On this album you'll find the stomping anthems of 'Personal jesus' 'Martyr' and last years 'Suffer Well', coupled with sensitive electronic gems such as 'Shake the Disease' as well as the ground breaking powerful electronica of 'Master and Servant' and 'Everything Counts'. Hits all over the place and not a substandard track anywhere - even those tracks now over 20 years old hardly sound dated. The volume one says much of their longevity and success, plus the fact that time/age/solo commitments may prevent the band fulfilling a further chronological singles album.

I strongly recommend this album to anyone who enjoys powerful, intelligent, emotive music with thought provoking lyrics (just cant get enough aside!). A real qualititive experience - no buyers regret here!

5.0 out of 5 stars a treasure trove, 11 Dec 2006
This is a first true "BEST OF" Depeche Mode.

Each collection prior to this release only showcased a set of singles in a consecutive order. I am referring to "Catching Up With Depeche Mode" from 1986, "The Singles: 86-98" from 1998, and "The Singles: 81-85" from 1999.

Finally, a remastered set of songs (selected by Daniel Miller who needs no introduction), that span the entire career of the band. Might I say that the proof is in the pudding! If you are an archivist or just a

dedicated fan, you must own this set. Beautifully packaged with liner notes written by Paul Morley co-founder of The Art Of Noise, also responsible for the success of the infamous Frankie Goes To Hollywood. Each single is noted in random order, which keeps you guessing the whole way through! Kudos!

"Martyr" the brand new single sits perfect amongst this collage of pain and pleasure. In fact I might have to say that this track is one of their best of the last 10 years! Pure ear candy my friends.

Depeche Mode as a whole create music that transcends all generations. Their songs merge with you when you are young and continue into your adult life. We can identify with the lyrics, and my friends, I am very sure that each of you have several memories no matter how vivid or remarkable reflected in a Depeche Mode song. Best Band on the planet? I say without refute!

The DVD is the treasure! Consecutively, I say with a chuckle, 23 videos from 1980-2006. Most of us have these already, but the real easter egg is the short film documenting each song!!! My personal thanks to DM for stuffing these little bits in their releases!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bundle Of Joy, 15 Nov 2006
MORTEN AASTAD (Oslo Norway) - See all my reviews
Been a fan of Depeche Mode for 22 years? Got every scrap of stuff they've ever made? Even all the singles individualy and in box sets? Then you'd expect me to say you don't need this, right? Well, wrong, I love Depeche Mode a lot, and I'm a completionist, so I had to have this. Also, this version includes a dvd with the videos to go with the songs, as well as a little documentary, and the new song Martyr.

I have gone along with this band, even though I still suffer from Alan Wilder leaving, even if they don't want to include the video for Get the Balance Right anywhere, and even after seeing the "video" for Martyr. Despite the fact that this compilation might seem like overkill in a year where we've had singel releases, 6 remasters and a live from Milano dvd, I'm really happy with this set, both in terms of the look and what you get with it. But would I have bought it without the DVD? Probably... I guess I'm a fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest bands ever on a best cd!, 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: Best of Depeche Mode, Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic CD even though it was always going to be hard to really have a definitive collection of their songs. Unless you have their albums already, I would add Exciter, Violator, and Songs of Faith and Devotion to this, in a heartbeat.

Though the Mode have been pumping out great tracks for years, I place 'I Feel You'
as the ultimate DM track. It may not sound like their early 80s stuff, but no matter.

'Strangelove', is equally amazing. And it's worth revisiting their videos on You Tube, you forget how pumped up David Gahan was when doing 'I Feel You', the amazing looking woman walking the dog in 'Strangelove', and Martin Gore strumming lead piping on a garage door in 'Shake the Disease'.

No weak tracks. Many awesome ones. Buy now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought you'd seen it all before....think again!!, 15 Dec 2006
When I first heard about this release I was initially very sceptical...oh no, not another DM compilation! Especially after 'The Singles 80-95' x2, 101, 'Singles 86-9*', live SOFAD and Remixes to boot! But in fairness it took me a while to actually realise this...but this is the first ever real "best of" DM album, incorporating the best of DM songs throughout their entire discography, juxtaposing early synth-pop classics with their later angst-riddled guitar riff-laden anthems, and before you say, why not just put my iPod on shuffle (as I myself first cynically thought), this also comes with a DVD of approx.~ 23 videos. So whether your'e a jaded DM fan or just want to introduce a friend to these legendary pioneers of "electronic" music then this is the one for YOU!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Album!, 27 Sep 2008
Craig Taylor (Scuthorpe, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Before buying this I'd only heard of a few a depeche Mode's songs, so I thought I'd give this a try!
and I wasn't dissapionted! All of the tracks are fantastic, from the electronic pop 80's tunes, to the more modern rock stuff.
Some of the song may need listening too a few times before you really get into them. And once you like them, you'l never get them out of your head.
The DVD is also great too and features 23 singles/vidoes and show the band through the different stages of their career. There is also a little documentary too.
This is a must have for any music fan.
Role on Volume 2!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a listen DM fans, 7 Jan 2007
Stephen Winter "Badger" (Oswestry, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best of Depeche Mode, Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
Overall, a good mix of Mode's work over the years; from the bouncy 'Just can't get enough' of the early 80's through to the recent 'Precious', for me the best work from Dave and the boys for some years now. I was a little disappointed to see the omission of 'Stripped', but there you go - perhaps that's saved for volume 2, and let's hope that's not too long in the offing.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm a best of sort'a'guy, 25 Feb 2009
N. Harbron "Nigel @ Trustplumbing" (SCARBOROUGH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best of Depeche Mode, Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
I'll be honest. I'm not serious about music. I listen to some people on the radio in awe of their passion for pure albums and i wish I could get that excited but I can't. I like best of albums because they take me back in time over a period of years usually back when the band had something to say that I could tune in to.
Depeche mode were with me for a good many years and I never bought a single, album or anything until twenty years after I left them, odd really. Anyway I'm glad I waited because this is a great record and nowadays I've got a sound system good enough to appreciate these tracks as they were meant to be heard.
I'd say for value for money you'd have to try hard to do better than this. there are only two, maybe three take it or leave it tracks on here and that's only my personal opinion.

Even if you've got these somewhere I'd suggest a trip down memory lane with DM, good times!

5.0 out of 5 stars Victoria sponge cake, 4 May 2013
Mr. J. B. Doherty (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best of Depeche Mode, Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
An essential piece of music, not just for those over a 'certain age' but most songs should be welcomed by all music listeners.

Best of Depeche Mode, Vol. 1
Best of Depeche Mode, Vol. 1 by Depeche Mode (Audio CD - 2006)