5.0 out of 5 stars THE best sit-com EVER
Published on 16 Sep 2010 by scifiry

1.0 out of 5 stars this dvd editor should be sacked
picture quality is average "expected for oldies" now the cropping of the image ? not even done, result = permanent black boarders on each side that pushes the image in so that characters and everything else appear stretched vertical.
this dvd editor should be sacked
Published 2 months ago by tarallems

5.0 out of 5 stars THE best sit-com EVER, 16 Sep 2010
I grew up on the exploits of the On The Buses characters,but on revisiting the scripts and shows 40 years later,it shows what an incredible stroke of luck was involved to create such a piece of pure entertainment.For a start,the initial premise involves an ordinary cockney bus-driver,who despairs of his disfunctional family,his dogs life at work,and his never-ending persuit of women and love.Not much on paper,but,the scripts are surprisingly fresh and relevant.A show ahead of its time,in many ways.It can appeal across the board.My own young children love the show.A lot of the credit must also go to the actors.Special mention must go to the following;Stephen Lewis(Blakey),who is awesome as the exasperated inspector.I just love the way he says "Butler".Just a name or word,but he's SO funny!Bob Grant,as Jack,the randy conductor.I can't beleive he could 'pull' any woman,but he's great nonetheless.Finally.special accolades must go to Michael Robbins,as Arthur,Stans brother in law.He's nothing short of magnificent,giving,in my opinion,THE most comically amazing performance in ANY show/film/whatever EVER!Just a look,grimace,or abarked line is enough to reduce me(and my family to stitches!)Perfect scripts,perfect cast,perfect fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars On The Buses - The Complete Series (repackaged), 5 April 2010
D. V. Harris "David Harris" (Portsmouth, Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this because I love some of the older series from TV and I was not disappointed. I found it just as enjoyable and funny as the first time I saw it. I would recommend that if you haven't seen it, watch it. Sadly most of the main actors in the series have passed away now leaving only Anna Karen (Olive) and Stephen Lewis (The Inspector Blakey) left. However the show is a fitting tribute to them all. My wife and I watched the whole series from beginning to end and laughed loudly as we did. The extras are also brilliant. I can only hope that sometime in the future that they will release the 13 episodes of the spin off series starring Steven Lewis called Don't Drink The Water. The first episode is included as an extra along with Reg Varney's play The Best Legs In The Business. I have given this a five star rating as it deserves it for the hours of enjoyment it has brought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Going back in time....., 27 Sep 2009
I was glad I got every episode of On the Buses, it took me back in time and I was not disappointed, I enjoyed it immensely. I didnt even realise that On the Buses made so many episodes, I never ever knew when it was finished and then I saw the last episode, it was compulsive viewing but only if you were a fan. It was also great value for money right now as I got a good deal buying it and also was able to get free postage yes it was a good all rounder for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars They don't make them like this anymore, 27 April 2010
Fatboy (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
After seeing this on Sky and instantly becoming hooked I decided to get the complete series. Its an absolute perfect example of a good British comedy, that was wrote in the day when political correctness was not even thought of (pity it didn't stop that way).

The superbly casted parts and superbly acted as well, make for a really good comedy. Its a laugh a minute has Jack & Stan try to do as little a work has possible and Blakey (the inspector) tries to make them do otherwise.

Its worth every penny.

Errrrrr, I hate you Butler : )

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and laugther for all times, 28 Feb 2010
Hans Moolhuizen (Amsterdam, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
It was fun to watch all the episodes since most of them were not broadcasted in my country.
I had never seen the episodes without Stan or Arthur and even they were very funny.
The quality of the dvd's is very good and there are extra's on some of them.

I find this box very good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars TURNING BACK THE CLOCK TO THE 70'S, 10 Jan 2010
M. barlow "MIB 24" (WA UK) - See all my reviews
Since I wasnt born when on the buses were 1st broadcast and only seen the series in colour on itv3. i found them really funny. Since the tv line up nowaday is complet trash i decided to buy the repack box set. You get 11 disks for half the price of the other boxset. It just 1 big laught. The inpector is far the best actor cos he alaway sad looking. If you like an easy comady to quickly get into and have a good old laught you wont be sorry. Also recommend the 3 pack holadays dvd film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Is This Series So Popular, 3 Feb 2010
Chris Waywell "cjwaywell" (Warrington) - See all my reviews
Having lived through the 60's I can assure anyone watching On The Buses that it is all true. I remember the sexy clippy's uniforms that left nothing to the imagination, the banter that went on between the conductors the drivers and the passengers. The whole experience of catching a bus was totally brilliant you jumped on the back even when the bus was moving off, you could smoke upstairs, you didn't have to fiddle about with your money until you were comfortably seated, you felt very safe on a bus as the two man crew would look after you. Everything from the smell of the bus to the way the bus crew dressed was sexy.

This continued through the 70's with slight differences being made to save cost. Then suddenly some fool came up with the idea of bus drivers taking the fares and doing away with the conductors. This killed the pleasure of working as a psv driver and it destroyed the experience the passenger once enjoyed. Imagine On The Buses being made now, it would be as much as a flop as it is in reality.

Now we simply enjoy the new standard of buses but tolerate the new breed of pcv drivers who know little about customer services and of old fashioned values and as few can speak the mother tongue it is very rare to hear the type of cheeky and suggestive banter that once made your journey to work or home such a unique pleasure.

So historically speaking this DVD set is a true account of how it was back then in the good old days. You'd now have to go to London and get on a tourist bus to experience it and even these are getting rare.

It wasn't all good as Stan will show you, it was hard work driving an old bus, the money wasn't great and the shifts were awful. But you had the crack, the banter and it was very sexy and it actually used to be a very good laugh and a pleasure to be on a bus crew.

I could watch On The Buses all day every day as it captures something special that has been lost. It is the best program to have ever been made for TV. Anyone who doesn't like On The buses just doesn't understand what they are missing or what they have missed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A TRUE COMEDY CLASSIC., 8 Jun 2009
NEO "Daren" (orpington kent) - See all my reviews
On the Buses has to be one of the all time comedy classics that's non P.C but still very funny and of it's time. The now sadly late Reg Varney as errant driver Stan Butler was born for this role. With dowdy Olive who seems to get herself into all sorts of scrapes due to her short sightedness. The series was very sucessful and ran for seven series from 1969-73 with three Hammer movie spin-offs. I was only four yours old when the series ended so i caught the re-runs on ITV. Im glad it's been re-issued and affordable at last so i can add this classic to my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars "I 'ate you Butler!", 3 Jan 2009
Amazon Customer "Spoon" (UK, Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Broadcast long before I was even born (1969-1973) here we have a seminal situation comedy, On the Buses.

Starring the likes of Reg Varney who plays the lovable rouge Stan, this follows Stan and his family, his friend the womanising Jack through the various mishaps of their many days, and Stan's failed attempts at getting a girl, or getting one up on Blakey.

Yes, On the Buses may be a comedy of its time - but there's not one weak episode across seven series of laughter, innuendo and sarcasam aplenty.

What makes on the buses so endearing to me - who never saw it on TV first time around (I was born in 1980) - is the characters. Stan, is as mentioned, the lovable rogue who loves nothing better than getting one over on the memorable Blakey, and tries desperately to successfully woo a woman.

Then, there is his equally memorable mother, played by Doris Hare. She's a stern woman, but cunning as well. She disapproves of Stan's attempts at wooing women, and won't have that sort of thing going on in her house. She's also cunning as well, feigning injury when Stan insists he has moved out for good in order to bring him back into the fold.

Just as captivating is the dynamic pairing of Michael Robbins and Anna Karen, playing Arthur and Olive respectively. Arthur is married to Mum's daughter, Olive - who is the butt of many jokes - most of them made by her uncaring, ever sarcastic husband. Much is made of Olive's appetite, short sightedness, and dowdy appearence - but Arthur sometimes gets as good as he gives, with Olive making repeated references to Arthur's "operation" and lack of prowess in the bedroom department.

Jack, Stan's companion is also lovable, as the womanising Jack who loves women and concocts various plans to upset Blakey.

With such memorable characters, this is what makes On the Buses such a masterpiece. The comedy very much centres on a somewhat sexist approach, but this is comedy of the sixties and seventies - and much material was around playing on similar aspects (Carry On - anyone) and I personally do not find it offensive in the slightest. What you do have here, is a gem of a comedy series that is far cleaner, funnier and wittier than many comedies of today. With the PC brigade going completely potty nowadays, a series like this probably wouldn't have been made today, so thank god the PC Brigade wasn't about then.

So come on, buy this boxset and climb aboard with Stan and co and buses which never run on time - but have they ever?

5.0 out of 5 stars It made me a fan, 18 Feb 2012
It may have been made before my time but I've really enjoyed watching this boxset! It is one of the few comedy greats. I have had this a while now and each viewing is as enjoyable as the last, it's even nice to see how things were in the past including when bus drivers had a conductor/conductress or "clippie".

Series 1, 2 & 3 are in black and white but in series 4 they changed to colour with the exception of seven episodes but that was due to industrial action during production.

If you've enjoyed this boxset and haven't seen the films then I highly recommend them to you.

ARRAY(0x104ff0c0)