4.0 out of 5 stars Groundbreaking
I watched QAS 1 and 2 when they were aired on channel 4 and bought the DVD.

I remember watching Question Time and seeing the furore that this had created. It was a groundbreaking series, and you should buy it if only for that reason.

The press was in a frenzy, I think that their may have even been a mention of it in The Commons.

I did...
Published on 26 Oct 2008 by Mr. T. Harris

2.0 out of 5 stars Mad way to gou out? Nope. Just sad, really sad...
Published on 8 April 2000 by bergman@xekmail.pt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Mad way to gou out? Nope. Just sad, really sad..., 8 April 2000
I suppose it's okay to ommit a few lesbians, drop two thirds of the familiar sets, have Stuart play criminally out of character, have Vince go along with it to the extent of leaving Alfie behind... But the final 10 minutes are just crap. Stuart and Vince crap, granted. But we could have wrapped things up a bit more, dare I say it, straight-forward? Don't get the impression I hated it. I'm just sorely disappointed, and QAF 1 is so brilliant!...

1.0 out of 5 stars If only Queer As Folk#1 hadn't been so brilliant!..., 13 July 2000
By A Customer
Might as well warn you: QAF1 is a 5 star extraordinary piece of TV in my book. The kind that comes perhaps once every 5 years... Imagine my disappointment at this "sequel". List of characters I loved missing: Donna, Cameron, Lisa, Siobhan, Roy - even Romey, Alfie or Rosalie scarcely get to appear. The plot starts being ridiculous and from there on just sinks. The settings are cheaper than in the cheapest 70s soaps. The actors deliver their lines in numbness or OTT campness. The main characters become unrecognizable. The ending is appallingly easy. Shame on everyone involved! If you weren't feeling like a sequel, then what was the point in making one? I thought the finale of the original QAF was open-ended but fantastic. I hoped for either no follow up or for much better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Supposedly Cool? Ha!, 10 May 2000
By A Customer
"Where have all the background characters gone?" - that was my first reaction. Contractual impediments, I'm sure. They call it focusing on the lads, I call it bad luck. Stuart is now a criminal, Vince is okay with that and Nathan's role is to hunt down gorgeous blokes. Don't you get the feeling that some of the depth and wit have been lost? DVD (like the 1st one) is way under-used. A technical zero, really. Still, I remember the one and only QAF lovingly, so I'm giving this er..sequel 2 stars against my better judgement. It's a gut thing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Out With A Bang? I think not, 9 May 2000
By A Customer
Queer As Folk was one of the most innovative pieces of TV drama it was my pleasure (and good fortune) to see. For the first time a widely well received depiction of Gay Life, well, of a certain style of it... I was hoping QAF2 would go further. Well, it turned out to be 1 hour of concentrated stereotypical soap (Russell's roots showing?) and 15 minutes of pure sci-fi (Dr.Who meets MTV). The actors barely manage to survive this travesti of a show. That's betrayal, innit? Marvellous!...

1.0 out of 5 stars Going Down..., 24 Jan 2001
By A Customer
The best series of the 90s has just turned into a huge downfall... There's no supporting characters to speak of, there's no coherence in Vince's acts, and the ending is a cop-off, a cop-out & the silliest possible. What just happened here??

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh no!, 3 Dec 2003
What a pity. After the flawless and excellent first series, this is a real let-down.
Though still certainly worth watching, it is probably best to pretend that the last fifteen minutes - or even the entire series - didn't happen. That way you can keep your impressions of the first series intact.
Though what happens is basically what we all hoped for, the way in which it happens is horribly disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Did I like it or did I not?, 3 April 2000
By A Customer
I am glad it had a happy ending, I am glad it was funny, I am delighted that it was positive and for once nobody in the main cast died of aids - I think we have all had enough of dperessing/uplifting tales on that subject. But what did we get? Warp sled Jeep Wrangler special effects, a transcedance scene as Vince and co become gods and disappear leaving their domain to youth? But it was funny, Vince's mother in the supermarket was a hoot, but somewhat over the top. Stewarts actions of vandalism, while we all know his motivations, are just not acceptable and frankly didnt really seem to fit in the plot. when I watched it I wished I had never seen it, when I watched it again, I became ambivolent. I am glad they made it, but I do think it could have been an awful lot better. Somehow it didnt quite live up to the standards set by the first series. It started off as almost real, so real it was joy to be hold. How many of us have had at least part of their life easily recognisable at one point or another? But QAF2 just left that realism behind. And thats why I can only give it 3 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Groundbreaking, 26 Oct 2008
This review is from: Queer As Folk: Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I watched QAS 1 and 2 when they were aired on channel 4 and bought the DVD.

I did feel that QAS2 was inferior to the first series, but its still a really compelling watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars More great comedy drama, 25 Dec 2009
This review is from: Queer As Folk: Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Ok, so I'll admit that this series is barely a series. There are only something like 2 episodes. But the fun continues. Vince's and Stuart's relationship (or non-relationship) has moved on a little bit since the first series. Stuart may be becoming a little bit more self-aware, but he's still Stuart. And the other characters from Series One - Bernie, Alexander, Nathan and Hazel are still there and as entertaining as ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars QAF rocks and this is no exception!, 15 Oct 2002
I can't understand why people hated this sequel so much!
In truth it really isn't a sequel! It is just continuing the story that's all!
We see Nathan come back from London a more "experienced" man (which would happen)Stuart is being blackmailed and won't stand for it. He is sick of hiding who and what he is from his family. He is gradually losing all his friends and all he is left with is Vince who is also beginning to grow tired of Stuarts behaviour, which verges on the dangerous and into illegal.
While this may not be as good as QAF, this is certainly a good second series.
True a lot of the orginal characters seem to have vanished into oblivion but doesn't that happen in a lot of series????? Look at Coronation Street or Eastenders! Whole families disappear for weeks with no explantion and no-one bats an eyelid, yet when a couple are dropped from QAF, the fans are up in arms, screaming that the whole "sequel" is c**p!
The ending is a little surreal, but please remember that this is based on a book and is purly entertainment!... But I love the way the main characters story is briefly told so you know what happened to them.
I think this is a great continuation of the best drama that has ever hit our screens! You just need to look at it as if you haven't seen QAF and you will see that (while not as good as QAF) it certainly deserves praise in its own right!
A definate must for those who loved QAF!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Queer As Folk: Series 2 [DVD]
Queer As Folk: Series 2 [DVD] by Menhaj Huda (DVD - 2006)