5.0 out of 5 stars Live Metal Album of the Year, 30 Nov. 2006
D. Bamford (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Cold Winter's Night (Audio CD)
If you are going to buy one live album this year, make it this one!

The performance of all members in the band is TOP QUALITY. Great energy, tight, and clever use of vocal dynamics. However, the main reason to buy this release is Roy Khan, now known as 'Kahn' I believe! As a vocalist myself, I was listening on with absolute awe. Pitch perfect through a 90 minute intense performance, and some moments that blow the mind (especially the beautiful falsetto in the opening of The Edge of Paradise).

I have to say, the production is a slight problem for this release, as it makes the drums (well played by Grillo) sound as though they were made out of industrial plastic, rather than very expensive skins!

Without knit-picking, this album is a marvellous release, and if you are even a slight Kamelot fan, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Live Album - Haunts You Long After The CD Stops, 3 May 2007
ESP (Dudley, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Cold Winter's Night (Audio CD)
Browsing the Web to find new prog/rock sounds, I was guided by one site to the Kamelot homepage. I sampled a track or two and decided to buy something - "One Cold Winter's Night" seemed as good a place to start as any: a showcase of Kamelot's material.

Without spending too many words, suffice it to say that I am truly glad I gave this band (and this album in particular) a listen. I add my voice to other reviewers who give the album and band a good rating.

I've since bought "Karma" (see my review of the 2007 pressing for more detail) and will be buying more. I look forward to seeing them live soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars ...we eat ham and jam and spam a lot..., 28 Oct. 2006
Mr. H "Mr H" (Embra) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: One Cold Winter's Night (Audio CD)
Last years 'The Black Halo' was a career high for Kamelot as the symphonic power metallers unleashed some magnificent metal upon the world. So it seems fitting that on February 11, 2006 the recording trucks were sent on their way to the Rockefeller Music Hall in Solo to capture 'The Black Halo' tour for CD and DVD release.

And on the CD they are in spectacular form. Live, they seem up to up both the symphonic and metal element, creating an explosive sound that is an absolute delight. They've also roped in a few special guests of whom Elisabeth Kjaernes on 'Nights Of Arabia' and Snowy Shaw on 'March of Mephisto' contribute to the album highlights.

I've only been hearing it but you could do the sensible thing and buy the DVD version. An 18 camera shoot, we're promised a massive lightshow and thunderous pyrotechnic display. Explosions! How much more cool could it be? Answer - none more. Quite possibly the live album of the year.

One Cold Winter's Night
One Cold Winter's Night by Kamelot (Audio CD - 2010)