on 29 January 2011
I am a massive fan of Richard Pryor, and if you watch these two marvellous shows, you will see why he is now heralded as a comedy genius.

His comedy timing was amazing, and his honesty, although sometimes almost painful to hear, shines through his material, which is always funny, consistently in fact!

I know a lot of people prefer his "live in concert" dvd, which is also great, but I think "here and now" is his finest hour, (other than his live cds, go check out the boxset of his albums, a really great collection of Pryor at his hilarious best), I can't recommend it highly enough.

If you want to see a 100% comedy genius at work, buy this, sit back and be prepared to laugh, because, unless your funny bone is broken, you surely will!
on 27 January 2011
I don't know how this item isn't rated higher. The other reviews are just foolish. He was the greatest stand up comedian known to man. Bill Hicks, George Carlin close behind.
live at the sunset strip Is one of the funniest things you ever likely to see. Seriously everyone should own this DVD. The editing come been better but that really doesn't concern me in the slightest. Its like saying Roberts Johnson music is badly recorded I cant listen to it. I own many Richard Pyror DVDs Im so glad I added this too my collection. Really great
on 1 November 2014
I liked Here & Now a lot. Pryor in top form and good mood. Great opening and closing music, good montage at the start, excellent audience and edited a lot better than the Sunset dvd.
The material is great and I laughed a lot, the vomiting & toilet stuff was very funny. The drug material was better on this than the Sunset gig and I liked his performance as the junkie toward the end, it was like a piece of theatre rather than comedy but it was very powerful.
I also liked his compassion towards the poor crab - it showed what a great human being Richard Pryor was.

Sunset Strip is a different story. Pryor seems very nervous. It takes quite a while for him to get going. The only material I liked was his tales of the inmates in an Arizona prison, the wild animals in Africa and some of the drug stuff at the end but all of it doesn't work for me. I blame nerves on this gig, he was not relaxed.
There seems to be some awful post production editing with this film which isn't done on Here & Now.
I am sure laughter has been added in at some points.
Sometimes Pryor makes some non funny statement about something and you hear audience laughter.
The editing overall is cr*p.

Overall, this is worth getting for the first dvd I review, the Sunset Strip one is very disappointing.
Also worth considering is the 1971 dvd Live and Smokin which is not top notch but I think better than Sunset.

Richard Pryor was a great guy and never became a celebrity a**h*le, he had a lovely warm smile and he smiled with his eyes.
It's a pity there aren't hundreds of his gigs on dvd !!
on 9 November 2013
I bought this dvd after seeing a documentary about Richard on BBC and i had only previously seen his first live show on video. I have watched this since, still very funny considering all his personal problems that he was recovering from.
on 25 November 2009
This boxset is of two of Richard Pryor's final filmed performances before the chronic illness which beset him took him off the road. His act is still great, but you can see signs that the drug abuse is beginning to take its toll.

Live on the Sunset Strip is the weaker of the two shows, mostly due to some very poor editing interrupting the natural flow of Pryor's set. On Here and Now, however, you get a much better representation of what made Richard Pryor the instigator of a great line of black american comedians. His act is incisive and cutting, his banter with the audience is magical and his character work, especially with the character of Mudbone, the homeless wino, is second to none.

Still not as good as Richard Pryor - Live in concert [DVD] [1978], which is what any Pryor beginners should invest in, but a good buy for a collector.
on 5 May 2012
These are the final two stand up DVDs of Richard and they are really funny although not as funny as Live in concert but that was comedy genius and it would be very hard for him to top it.
on 7 September 2015
There's no one to compare with........
on 19 July 2010
I like his films better, The racist jokes of his stand up routine began to wear thin and i began to feel annoyance thinking, 'if this was said by a white man then no decent person would find it funny'. This killed the rest of the DVD for me and i threw it out.