5.0 out of 5 stars HP finally bring us a great Photo Printer.
Published on 24 Nov. 2006 by J. A. Gaskell

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Expect Support
This printer would be a nice item, if it didn't faint at the first whiff of photo paper.

I bought mine primarily to print on DVD's and all went well for a little while. But just 3 months after purchase I decided to print a photo and the machine jammed, then refused to do anything but flash a light at me ever again.

After going through the reset...
Published on 19 Aug. 2008 by D. A. Channing

5.0 out of 5 stars HP finally bring us a great Photo Printer., 24 Nov. 2006
J. A. Gaskell "snipofapriceuk" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Photosmart D5160 (Electronics)
This printer is just wonderful from HP. Firstly HP at last have a printer that will print photos with great quality at a great price. I think it is also important to know why HP Ink jet printers work better than some of the others. When you change an ink carriage in some other brands, you are only changing the ink as the print head is part of the printer. This means that you have to clean those heads during use especially if you do not use the printer for a while as it can clog up. HP ink carriages have both the ink and the print header, which means that every time you put a new carriage in you are replacing the head.

So back to this printer the D5160. Some great points that I have found on this printer are:

1. You want to print your photos on the small 10x15 paper or other small size paper. Hate having to change the paper in your printer to it. With the D5160 you get another tray which is above the main A4 paper tray to hold this type of paper. So the paper is always ready for you.

2. Which software do I use to print my pictures? Well don't go and buy any more software as HP supply some great software that not only catalogues all of your pictures on your computer, but lets you pick what you want to print easy, lets you edit the picture also including a great crop tool to make life so much easier.

3. With the HP software you also get some great extras like: Create your own CD with a slide show to music than will play in most DVD players. Create and print photo album pages, Christmas cards and many other extras that you can do with photos.

4. As an ink jet printer, the printer does print very well for just black text work for school, work or college.

5. HP also provides memory card slots so that you can print direct to the printer if you wish as well as transferring the pictures to your computer.

6. You will also find an USB port to plug cameras direct to the printer if you wish.

7. HP also includes the option for you to print on special CD or DVDs.

A great printer and one that will be popular with users.

4.0 out of 5 stars Prints well on Cds and photos are excellent., 20 Sept. 2007
N. D. Southwell "Rock'n'Neil" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Photosmart D5160 (Electronics)
When I was considering this product there were lots of conflicting reviews on this page. Most of the conflict was about the quality of the Cd/DVD printing facility, and this was very important to me because as a home recording musician the ability to print directly onto Cds was the main reason for my interest in this printer. Some reviews claimed the Cd/DVD printing was very good and others said it was very poor. After checking the price in town (where it was over thirty pounds dearer in one shop and over ten pounds dearer in the cheapest shop), I ordered it via Amazon.

It arrived on time and was well packed. I particularly liked the way it was covered in black plastic so no nosey neighbours etc, or dodgy delivery persons knew what was being delivered.

It had been dispatched from France and contained a mains adapter/converter so it could be plugged into English sockets. This works well though it looks a little strange.

I found the print quality to be excellent for ordinary paper, photo paper, and importantly for me it also printed very well on my Cds. The cd/dvd designing software by HP and another similar one provided were both very limited in that they seem to only provide some print boxes for you to type into, but the HP one does allow you to print a photo (bmp/jpeg etc) that it resizes and crops to the correct sized circular shape. This means that you can produce designs in photo editing software or a design/publishing program that allows you to save designs as bmp/jpeg etc.

Unfortunately my photo editor has limited text manipulation, (I need to print in a circle aroung the circumference of the Cds)and my otherwise excellent microsoft desktop Publisher doesn't let me save designs as images, so at first I was a little stuck. I got around this by designing in Publisher, printing the design onto good quality paper at a high resolution, and then scanning the printed image back into the computer as a bitmap.

I then inserted the bitmap image using HP's software and ignored their text boxes (they don't print if you don't type anything into them). The result was very good. I am pleased with this for now, but I am thinking about getting a proper drawing/design program.

Overall I am very pleased with this printer, and would recommend it to anyone who wants excellent photos, and wants to print directly onto Cds and DVDs.

The only problem I have had so far is that i find it difficult to switch it off. As I use it with a laptop and have to pack everything away after each use, this is annoying. Double-clicking on the disconect USB icon is always met with a message saying the printer can't be disconected because a program is accessing it. This happens even though I have no programs running. Eventually I ignore the message and switch the power to the printer off and unplug the USB lead. It doesn't seem to do any harm, but it's still worrying - Hence only 4 stars, but it's excellent in all other respects.

5.0 out of 5 stars HP Produces The Best Photoprinters, 3 Sept. 2007
Philip Hunter (Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Photosmart D5160 (Electronics)
Removed my 7 year old HP Deskjet 930C & had the HP D5160 installed & printing within 30 minutes. It goes like a dream, very quick, good clear printing in B&W. Colours are vibrant & print much faster than the 930C. Amazon delivered within 48 hours of placement of order. Purchased through an Amazon 3rd party seller for £39, that's what I call value for money. Incidentally, when I visited the HP website & entered my printing requirements it actually chose the Photosmart D5160 printer as the one to fit my needs..

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little CD / DVD printer!, 18 Dec. 2006
This review is from: HP Photosmart D5160 (Electronics)
I've read many great and not-so-great reviews for this printer and flipped back and forth between the D5160 and the Epson CD printer models. I am so glad I bought it!

Right out of the box, I printed almost 30 DVD's, each one printing perfectly with no problems, no scratches, etc. I have read where people said it scratched their disks, but I can only imagine that they did not handle or insert the disk into the holder correctly.

For the 30 disks I've printed, it has only used one quarter of the ink cartridge! That's great!

Yes, the design software that comes with it for disk printing is minimal, but you can use Photoshop or any other image creation software to design your label. Use the following settings below and you'll see how easy it is!

A tip: design your DVD labels so that you only use a band across it in full color, with one or two color printing above and below for information. You'll use A LOT less ink.

Make your document the following size (could be square, I suppose):

952 pixels wide (4.76") x 972 (4.86") high @ 200 dpi

After you've created the image, save it to the Desktop or someplace you can find it.

Open up the HP Photosmart Studio application. Find the image from the Library window on the left (Mac?). Click on it in the main window to select. Then click on CREATE in the top row of icons.

In the Create window, under TEMPLATES choose Print on CD/DVD (5 inch / 120mm). Then select the first disk design with the large hole and nothing else on it. In the window to the right, you'll see your image behind the rectangular text boxes (HP's great design program! Ha!). Ignore the boxes, they won't print unless you type something in them.

Then choose PRINT and that's it!

Tips: Keep the disk caddie tray in it's plastic sleeve to keep it clean. Always blow any dust out of it before you put a disk in to keep it clean. Use the little thumb hole in the caddie to lift your disk out when done. Give it time to dry.

Note: Sometimes after putting in the disk caddie tray, you'll need to press the PRINT button on the printer if the tray doesn't load automatically after inserting it to the ARROW MARKS (you'll feel a slight stop).

Bottom Line: Once you have your label image created, you'll be able to print wonderful disks with little or no hassles if you use care to do the steps correctly. I love my new little printer ($90 most places).

BONUS: It prints laser-sharp text and prints on plain paper, too!

4.0 out of 5 stars NICE PICTURES BUT IT IS NOT ALL SUNNY, 8 April 2008
This review is from: HP Photosmart D5160 (Electronics)
I have owned a number of printers over the years, but this is my first HP for almost a decade. Picture quality is very good, excellent even, and the ink usage is also very respectable. However, the ink monitor is very suspect. Both tanks have been showing empty for 3 months and the prints are not lacking in any of the component colours. The paper feed for A4 works well, and paper jams are very rare which suits my children who have struggled in the past. The strange feed in system for A5 photo paper is, at best, irritating and normally totally unusable. It shuffles the plastic carrier backwards and forwards, but rarely picks up the paper and attempts to use it require a great amount of attention and luck.
If you just need basic functions then this printer delivers, it is fast with quality output and excellent running costs. It is the peripheral aspects that struggle to keep up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Expect Support, 19 Aug. 2008
This review is from: HP Photosmart D5160 (Electronics)

After going through the reset procedures given on line, all the 'help' department could do was give me a UK help number which is apparently in India. After being questioned by an unfriendly 'support' person I was instructed to fax proof of purchase as they had me down as out of warrenty although I bought it in March and there is supposed to be 1 year warrenty on it. Not having a fax machine appears to be a criminal offense.

Luckily I had a scanner and we agreed I could email proof, as a photocopy by post was not acceptible.

2 months later, I still have an almost new machine that doesn't work. I won't buy HP again.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good printer, the bad reviews are WRONG., 18 April 2009
This review is from: HP Photosmart D5160 (Electronics)
First the critism: Seems an OK sort of printer in general, as it prints CDs and DVDs well most of the time only occaisonally printing a part of the CD/DVD then ejecting for some reason (a dud). Also a more useful colour LCD screen would have been nice, as it can be quite hard to work out what it's error messages are from a single lowly LCD calculator type screen.

I'm writing mainly to address the unfounded bad reviews this printer has been getting here "Won't print except gibberish from HPs overbloated software". Very wrong, and I wish I'd picked this man's printer up from the skip he proported to throw it into.

I've sucessfully printed from every single app I've tried, and I love Acoustica as it has has built in CD/DVD printing support for the D5160.

Another reviewer said it was unreliable and marked it only one or two stars. This is also untrue, mine has been working well for over a year. Yet another reviewer complained of the ink meter not working - the ink meter only works with genuine HP cartridges.

Overall a good printer, but if I could buy it again, I would buy the more expensive HP model, for the larger and better coloured status screen. I would stick to HP as the print heads are renewed with every new cartridge thus extending the life of your printer immeasurably.

5.0 out of 5 stars HP Photosmart D5160 - A Gem!, 26 July 2009
Derek Hartley (Tonbridge, Kent, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Photosmart D5160 (Electronics)
HP Photosmart D5160 I purchased a D5160 printer, I believe, about 3 years ago, I paid about £120 for it then! I don't print a lot of 'photos, but over 3 years it will be a few hundred, and many thousands of sheets of text printing, it has always been completely reliable,I am so pleased with this model, and at the low price it now is, I am going to buy another one from Amazon and put it in the loft 'until my present model finally gives up the ghost. It is also compatable with Windows 7.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent printer, 17 April 2009
Mrs. S. Francis "shaz" (Berkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Photosmart D5160 (Electronics)
This is an excellent printer, and quite robust, for DVDs, photos and general everyday. Easy to use and with good results. Photos good quality. This is the second one I have as the first one sadly died after 18 months heavy useage. A colleague had one as well and hers didn't last as long but it was heavily used. When they die it seems to be something with the cartridge bit that moves across when it prints as they were both the same. Would have another one though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Six months to failure-TWICE!, 4 Jan. 2009
A. Gowthorpe "kandiba" (N. Somerset UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Photosmart D5160 (Electronics)
HP D5160 printer My first printer failed after 6 months giving persistent "Paper jam" warnings whe there was no jam. The retailer exchanged the machine with the same model, after a further 6 months the second macine refused to print 4X6 photo prints from the Photo tray giving an "Out of paper" warning when there was plenty of paper {5X7 paper worked OK } I am about to return this machine also. I think I will avoid HP in future. It does not seem very reliable.

HP Photosmart D5160