4.0 out of 5 stars Return of the deathless kings of doom

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing entry
Published on 30 Nov. 2008 by Paul McNamee

4.0 out of 5 stars Return of the deathless kings of doom, 10 Oct. 2006
This review is from: A Line Of Deathless (Audio CD)
Ok, I meant to wait until i'd listened to the album a few more times, but in the end I gave in and decided to review it anyway... "A Line of Deathless Kings" is MDB's 9th studio album and although, as most fans would testify, it is impossible to surpass either "Turn Loose the Swans" or "The Angel and the Dark River", the band have done a pretty good job nonetheless. For those who are wondering, the album fits quite neatly into their recent catalogue, progressing nicely from "Songs of Darkness.." with a few throwbacks to "The Light..." and "The Dreadful Hours". Anyone who was hoping for a return to their older style will be disappointed, as will anyone who was expecting the band to make huge leaps in style or substance. On the other hand, this is a very credible effort in the vein of their last few works with some interesting new ideas thrown in as well.

Onto the music... Aaron has continued with the doomy, semi clean vocals he pioneered in the last album with almost no death metal growls. Unfortunately, I have to say his lyrics are not very good on this album. Expect a lot of repetion of very familiar lines and quite a few cliches and painful attempts at rhyming. On the other hand, the music itself is pretty good. Much of it is quite similar to the last couple of albums, but there are a few nice new ideas in places which make the album fun to listen to. Temporary drummer John fills in particularly well, providing some surprisingly excellent drumming throughout and some quite interesting fills which are completely different from either Shaun or Rick's style. The rest of the band are also great, Andy and Hamish proving to have become a musical force to be reckoned with and Ade upping the standard with some fantastic atmospheric bass work. I've never been a fan of Sarah's, but her keyboards are credible and add an exra layer of doom, without ever being particularly prominent in the music as they once were.

The first track, "To Remain Tombless" is quite simply, amazing. It reminds me a little of "the wreckage of my flesh" but its taken to a new level of brilliance with fantastic bass sections, amazing drumming and an absolutely stunning guitar riff that will have you completely hooked. This is followed by "L'amour detruit" which is also particularly good, starting off very similar to "le figlie della tempesta" and comprising a more melodic, almost Katatonia-like section of guitar in the second half, which really makes it stand out. Other good songs are the single, "Deeper Down" which grows on you after a few listens and "Loves Intolerable Pain" which has some quite effective spoken passages and is a bit different from the rest of the album. On the whole, I think most MDB fans will like it although it falls short of being a masterpiece, and anyone who likes good quality doom should give it a try.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing entry, 30 Nov. 2008
Paul McNamee (North Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Line of Deathless Kings (Audio CD)
I'm a huge fan of My Dying Bride, several of their albums numbering among my all-time favourites, but much of A Line Of Deathless Kings just doesn't for it for me. Looking at the other reviews, I seem to be in something of a minority, but I feel that a great deal of the album is filler and there's something about the composition of the songs that doesn't fit in with the rest of the band's varied catalogue.

I ought to mention that at least three songs on this album are bona-fide 100% classics, alongside tracks like "Here in the Throat" and "A Doomed Lover" as some of the band's very best: the hard-hitting opener "To Remain Tombless", the wandering guitar-fest of "L'Amour Detruit" and the single, "Deeper Down", with an ending so doomy it never fails to make me slightly less upbeat than when it engaged it. The problem with ALoDK, as with '99's The Light at the End of the World is that the majority of the album is bland, full of uninspired playing, overlong songs and familiar melodies. I also noticed maybe three or four phrases that have appeared in countless My Dying Bride songs before. In short, the writing on here is lazy.

While the production is top notch, it does little to alleviate the songs from the dull mire in which they drown. So little of this material deserves to be remembered, or even played live. There is a flash of furious death metal at the album's close which hopefully indicates the direction the next album will take. I don't think my loyalty can take another aimless clean-vocal fest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very near a complete success..., 7 Feb. 2007
This review is from: A Line Of Deathless (Audio CD)
I agree with most all the previous reviewers have already said. Like most fans, I believe nothing the band has - until now - produced surpasses "TLTS" in terms of imaginative composing and pioneering of new musical avenues. In that sense, that album was a landmark work. However, ALODK manages to finish and polish all the bits that were not satisfactorily achieved in MDB's previous ouvre.

However, I feel that the songs in this cd could have been better. The opening track is very good and, for me, it sets the standard of what the rest of the songs should have been, but fail to. Nonetheless, I consider the album to very quite good and satisfying in general, although the lyrics are quite "lame"...being far too simple, using too much easy rhymes. I really don't know if this is a lack of inspiration from Aaron or if he's a tad too fond of Shelley's huge load of minor poems (as anyone can attest in his complete works).

I'll just finish by mentioning that this album's artwork is very very good. The digipack edition that I have is a beautiful thing.

I think it's worth the money for any longstanding MDB fans, although they could have pulled a somewhat better effort this time. The songs had the potential to become full epics.

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the Same... but not a bad thing., 11 Oct. 2006
This review is from: A Line Of Deathless (Audio CD)
I'm a long standing fan of My Dying Bride, being introduced to their unique stylings with the "Turn Loose the Swans" album, and I find this album strangely unsatisfying... and I don't know why!

Its all there.. the heavy riffing, soaring guitars, pounding drums, guttural & clean vocals along with all the tales of loss, despair and redemption.

Yet somehow it's not grabbed me in the same way as "Songs of Darkness Words of Light" did.

I think theres a real standout track missing... the one you always put on again after it just finished. "The Blood, the Wine, the Roses" comes close to being that song but does quite do it for me.

While not everyone was a fan of "34.788% Complete" (I still rate it highly) I think more experimentation could have raised this album up to higher level than it achieves.

All in all its is another solid effort and a welcome addition to the MDB legacy but one I don't think that will be rated as their best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Briliant!!!, 26 Oct. 2010
This review is from: A Line Of Deathless (Audio CD)
This is an awesome version that comes as a boxset with poster and postcards of the band
would have been cool if it included an exclusive track, but stil every penny worth.
This album is quite a change, more relaxed and hauntingly beautiful and a very matured sound.
I really love this album because it is so diverse from their previous releases,
and it flows from beginning to end perfectly.
This epic masterpiece shows how briliant this band truely is,
and that they can progress beyond the creative benchmark that they have set.

4.0 out of 5 stars good but not as good as could've been, 22 Nov. 2006
This review is from: A Line Of Deathless (Audio CD)
Been listening to MDB since the excellent Symphonaire Infernus..ep. yonks ago....So to keep this short, while their new album has some very good tracks, particularly "And I Walk With Them" although I'm not too keen on the spoken passages within the tracks, overall a 4/5 as while it's good I don't think quite as good as the previous excellent "Songs of Darkness..." classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure worth the pain., 12 Oct. 2006
H. L. Porsgaard "H. L. Porsgaard" (Fredericia, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Line Of Deathless (Audio CD)
This is doom metal; this is heavy, and melodic; this is slow and occasionally fast; it's pain and pleasure; this is My Dying Bride at their very best.

Almost all of the vocals on this album are 'clean', with only a few rough/growling parts. I was a bit worried at first if this would make it less exciting, but it really doesn't. Aaron sings extremely well on this album, and is very versatile in his use of different kinds of singing. He goes high, he goes low, he whispers and he does growl too (but only when it suits the music and lyrics). Generally, on "A Line of Deathless Kings", nothing is done unless it serves a purpose, ie. the melodic guitars follow the vocals (or the other way around) etc., and as mentioned above, the style of the vocals reflect the words that is being sung, Also, the use of keyboards and special voice effects is very subtle and balanced, and again, isn't there for their own sake, but to support the mood of the song.

Although the band has had to say goodbye to Shaun, their drummer, who on this album has been replaced with a guy named John Bennett, the music is tighter than ever, with all the elements/instruments supporting each other.

The new album from the very experienced "god-fathers of doom", as MDB has been labelled, is the natural development, following their two latest album, "The Dreadful Hours" and "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light", of the elements that make My Dying Bride so good. I don't think they can get any better than this, this album is just perfect. Buy it, heck buy two, as I have: I couldn't wait for the limited edition, so I bought the normal too. The wait is painful, but the pleasure is worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not classic MDB... But another excellent effort., 12 Oct. 2006
This review is from: A Line Of Deathless (Audio CD)
I'm a big fan of My Dying Bride, but I have to admit there have been moments in which the band has underachieved. The band's classic lo-fi doom era excepted, this Bradford group has a tendency to follow up truly fantastic records (read: 'The Angel and the Dark River', 'The Dreadful Hours') with exercises in water treading ('Like Gods of the Sun', 'Songs of Darkness, Words of Light').

My Dying Bride is now thoroughly comfortable with its new identity, a well-produced and thickly orchestrated, kinda-goth-but-don't-mention-it, heavy metal machine that holds 'The Dreadful Hours' as both its blueprint and creative benchmark. And why attempt to repeat past glories?

The problem with the prospect of any new My Dying Bride record is that there is very little new to be said of humanity's torment over existence. Aaron has nowhere to go lyrically; this record won't touch people's lives the way the band's previous works have for that very reason, and it's unfair to expect it to.

Why continue? Because they're still capable of writing great music. From a purely musical perspective, this shines amongst the group's recent works - there are plenty of hooks (particularly for those with the acquired ear for this kind of music), and plenty of new/interesting elements (a bass solo, less obvious yet more effective keyboard/electronic stuff, and vocal harmonies during the last chorus of the first track - which I believe is a first at least in that form, since it sounds like Aaron himself provided the second vocal.)

A final note for those who value album packaging, I really preferred it when Mr. Stainthorpe (who bears a disturbing and uncanny resemblance to Snoop Dogg on the enclosed postcard) himself produced the artwork for MDB releases. Matt Vickerstaff is the credited artist for this release, and I'm not sure if it's all his, but as competent and talented as he is, it lacks personality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and powerfull!, 13 Nov. 2006
P. Claro (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Line Of Deathless (Audio CD)
MDB's latest album is superb! The band's sound as been evolving trough the years and this album just crowns perfection. People that weren't so satisfied with this album are the same that weren't satisfied with "Songs of darkness..." the band's sound is heavier, more powerfull now. I think people need to stop comparing the band's latest albums with the stuff from the early years. It is clearly not the same sound yet the same feeling and inner power is there. why compare it to something different. so you wished they had never evolved but is that a reasonable request?

I for one love the new sound and people that like the feeling that comes along with doom but at the same time like heavier darker sounds will love it to.

Maybe people like me didn't like the early albums as much either but it is not up to us to tell the band where to go just to follow them if we like what we hear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Aug. 2014
This review is from: A Line Of Deathless (Audio CD)
Very fast delivery very happy with product

A Line of Deathless Kings
A Line of Deathless Kings by My Dying Bride (Audio CD - 2006)