5.0 out of 5 stars A 'Must Have' Recording
Published on 3 April 2011 by John Moyes

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair but not outstanding
I own more than 1 dozen versions of this, which is my favourite quartet, recording and performance I feel is not comparable to the best available, including Lindsays, Belcea, Jerusalem.
Published 7 months ago by YIP Alex

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'Must Have' Recording, 3 April 2011
John Moyes "JRM" (Cyprus) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schubert: Death & the Maiden (Audio CD)
The Takacs Quartet and Hyperion are to be congratulated on this superb performance. The music is finely articulated and coloured. I found it the most moving of the various versions that I have in my library and, rather unusually in my experience, it entirely lives up to the hypes given on the cover. When I ordered it I thought that 'Death and the Maiden' was the entire content. But no. That work is coupled with an achingly beautiful performance of the 'Rosamunde'(Quartet in A-minor). That makes it a fine value value for money recording as well as one to cherish for its sheer musicality

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performances and recording, 30 April 2010
Hywel James "Hywel James" (Devon, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Schubert: Death & the Maiden (Audio CD)
The Takacs Quartet has been praised for its many recordings recently and this Schubert album is a continuation of this quartet's excellence. The Hyperion recording (to say nothing of the extraordinary painting chosen for the packaging - someone at the company must have a hotline to owners of risque Nineteenth and early Twentieth century graphic art) is outstandingly good. Anyone looking for a modern recording to add to other performances, such as the classic accounts by Busch Quartet, the Budapest Quartet or the Italian Quartet, can be confidently directed towards this cd. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair but not outstanding, 17 Jun. 2014

Schubert: Death & the Maiden
Schubert: Death & the Maiden by Franz Schubert (Audio CD - 2006)