Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: DVDChange

on 29 November 2005
I saw this film when I was little, and have never forgotten the utter enchantment of it. Now I have rediscovered the bliss of it all over again with my two year old daughter. She simply can't get enough of it - in particular, the Jeremy Fisher section - those thrilling leaps and elevations! The drama of his struggle with the trout! John Lanchberry's score, and Frederick Ashton's choreography are both so wonderful - as are all the performances. But what is most striking, 30 years on, is that the production hasn't aged a bit, and I doubt that the miraculously authentic masks and costumes could be bettered now. A glorious achievement, and every bit as uplifting for adults as for children.
on 22 November 2005
I can't describe how magical this DVD is - I first saw an extract many years ago - of the Jeremy Fisher section. I have never forgotten it - and when I discovered that I could buy this DVD, I bought one for my grandchildren (and me)
The copy I bought has been played so many times that I now have to replace it.
The dancing and music are superb - my grandchildren cannot sit still in their seats when the DVD is on. They prefer this DVD to any of the other DVDs they have in the house.
Most highly recommended.
on 2 November 2007
Absolute magic! I saw this as a child and it inspired me into career of dance. As a child, I adored to watch it and try to imitate the characters. Frederick Ashton's choreoegraphy brings the animals to life with imagination and fun. In the early 70's The Royal Ballet was in it's glory days with dancers like beautiful Leslie Collier, Wayne Sleep and Michael Coleman: who's Pas De Chat-ing Jeremy Fisher I'll never forget, dancers filled with style, creativeness and that tremendous RB technique. This is a joy, something to have on the shelf for any ballet fan or budding ballerina. Enjoy!
on 14 December 2008
The genius of Beatrix Potter + the genius of Sir Frederick Ashton + the genius professionalism and sensitivity of the Roal Ballet set in the Lake District make this an outstanding item! Familiar themes from Paquita, Don Quixote and other 19th Century ballets. The young these days are exposed to a lot of violence and rubbish - what an antidote! Have purchaced five copies for various people. Don't worry (other reviewer)the Royal Ballet are still on top form, and may be at their all time best. Watch out for Tamara Rojo and some of the others!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
HALL OF FAMEon 3 August 2007
Two words for this filming of the ballet by Frederick Ashton of stories by Beatrix Potter: Clever...charming. If you have small kids who aren't yet spoiled by Computer Generated Overkill, I think they'll be entranced. And any grownups who still have a bit of innocence left I think will be, too.

The dancers from the Royal Ballet are all costumed as the characters. The female creatures all are plump and wear pastel gowns with the waist around the bust and white dust bonnets on their heads. The male creatures all are chubby and wear frock coats, knickers and knee socks. The dancers also wear full head masks to look like the squirrels and pigs and mice and ducks. I couldn't spot an eye port anywhere. The characters are all there (and spare me the sophisticated smirks): Mrs. Tigglewinkle, Peter Rabbit, Squirrel Nutkin, Jemima Puddleduck, Pigling Bland, The Cunning Fox, Mrs. Tittlemouse, and the others.

The music is first-rate, with plenty of waltzes and melody. The choreography is oustanding, funny and true to the characters. And the production values are excellent. This is an example of what professionals can accomplish when they're at the top of their game.

The DVD transfer is very good. And for once I wish there were extras. It would have been fascinating to learn about the development of the look of the piece and the costumes and head masks. It also would have been good to hear from some of the dancers of what it took to dance their roles in those costumes.
on 2 July 2001
This is a beautifully choreographed and superbly costumed film version of some of Beatrix Potter's famous stories. It has not dated at all, despite having been filmed in 1971. I saw it first as a little girl and I can remember being utterly enthralled and inspired enough to take ballet lessons for many years. Yesterday I had the opportunity to see this film again and I enjoyed it just as much. Wonderful, something all little girls should see.
on 11 January 2009
Bought this to go with 'The Complete Ballet Dancer' for one of my twin (3 3/4) granddaughters for Christmas. She loves it and is not a happy bunny as I have borrowed it to watch. I have been asked in strong terms to return it as soon as possible . . . . .
on 14 November 2004
This film entranced me as a child and has had the same effect on my daughter. Beautifully filmed and danced.
on 5 April 2005
Pure magic! My two-year old daughter is absolutely enthralled. I confess that the 'Mouse Waltz' brings tears to my eyes, and the final picnic scene when the town mice are joined by the rather uncouth field mice will have you laughing out loud. Fabulous dancing, especially by Jeremy Fisher, Squirrel Nutkin and Johnny Townmouse, and the music itself is inspiring. Choreographed by the late great Sir Frederic Ashton, who dances the part of Mrs Tiggywinkle. A timeless classic that will delight children and adults equally.
on 4 January 2011
This is an excellent production: a dance film shot in the Lake District and mostly on a constructed woodland set that brings to life the beloved tales of Beatrix Potter. All your favorite characters are danced by the stunning members of the Royal Ballet: Peter Rabbit, Squirrel Nutkin, Missy Tiggy Winkle and more. The film has obviously been remastered and provides a great clear image. For those who might be confused: this is the film version of the ballet (woodland sets, filmed from all angles, etc.) and not a film of the stage performance, which is also available on DVD. Both versions are great, but I recommend the film for getting truly lost in Potter's universe. It's particularly well suited to young viewers ages 3-10 (its length may be difficult for very young viewers, but it can also be broken down and watched in sections as there are distinct stories within the ballet) though others may very well appreciate it as well! It's also an excellent teaching tool to enhance learning about Beatrix Potter and the Lake District, or ballet for young ones.