5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars are simply not enough!
I saw this film when I was little, and have never forgotten the utter enchantment of it. Now I have rediscovered the bliss of it all over again with my two year old daughter. She simply can't get enough of it - in particular, the Jeremy Fisher section - those thrilling leaps and elevations! The drama of his struggle with the trout! John Lanchberry's score,...
Published on 29 Nov 2005 by Book Lover

3.0 out of 5 stars A happy ending
It wasnt what we thought it was going to be,not our family's cup of tea bit disappointed but, my friend loved it so happy ending
Published 1 month ago by Mrs Sue Hanmer

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining for all ages, 11 April 2009
This review is from: Tales Of Beatrix Potter [DVD] (DVD)
A superb production, performed outside and with superb dancers and costumes. All ages have enjoyed watching, from my grandma to my 3 yr olds.
Very well done - engaging stuff. The children ask for it on again and again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beatrix Potter Royal Ballet DVD, 8 Feb 2009
This review is from: Tales Of Beatrix Potter [DVD] (DVD)
Fantastic dvd with the characters of Beatrix Potter brought to life by the Royal Ballet. Excellent choreography and music. Fantastic costumes. Having watched a production on BBC at Covent Garden, this was equally as good and children and adults alike can watch together.

5.0 out of 5 stars A ballet for kids...and for discerning adults, 3 Aug 2007
C. O. DeRiemer (San Antonio, Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Two words for this filming of the ballet by Frederick Ashton of stories by Beatrix Potter: Clever...charming. If you have small kids who aren't yet spoiled by Computer Generated Overkill, I think they'll be entranced. And any grownups who still have a bit of innocence left I think will be, too.

The dancers from the Royal Ballet are all costumed as the characters. The female creatures all are plump and wear pastel gowns with the waist around the bust and white dust bonnets on their heads. The male creatures all are chubby and wear frock coats, knickers and knee socks. The dancers also wear full head masks to look like the squirrels and pigs and mice and ducks. I couldn't spot an eye port anywhere. The characters are all there (and spare me the sophisticated smirks): Mrs. Tigglewinkle, Peter Rabbit, Squirrel Nutkin, Jemima Puddleduck, Pigling Bland, The Cunning Fox, Mrs. Tittlemouse, and the others.

The music is first-rate, with plenty of waltzes and melody. The choreography is oustanding, funny and true to the characters. And the production values are excellent. This is an example of what professionals can accomplish when they're at the top of their game.

The DVD transfer is very good. And for once I wish there were extras. It would have been fascinating to learn about the development of the look of the piece and the costumes and head masks. It also would have been good to hear from some of the dancers of what it took to dance their roles in those costumes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Dance Film Based on Beloved Stories!, 4 Jan 2011
M. Caitlin Hayes (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tales Of Beatrix Potter [DVD] (DVD)
This is an excellent production: a dance film shot in the Lake District and mostly on a constructed woodland set that brings to life the beloved tales of Beatrix Potter. All your favorite characters are danced by the stunning members of the Royal Ballet: Peter Rabbit, Squirrel Nutkin, Missy Tiggy Winkle and more. The film has obviously been remastered and provides a great clear image. For those who might be confused: this is the film version of the ballet (woodland sets, filmed from all angles, etc.) and not a film of the stage performance, which is also available on DVD. Both versions are great, but I recommend the film for getting truly lost in Potter's universe. It's particularly well suited to young viewers ages 3-10 (its length may be difficult for very young viewers, but it can also be broken down and watched in sections as there are distinct stories within the ballet) though others may very well appreciate it as well! It's also an excellent teaching tool to enhance learning about Beatrix Potter and the Lake District, or ballet for young ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chill out time!, 10 Feb 2009
This review is from: Tales Of Beatrix Potter [DVD] (DVD)
This is just so lovely. Our little girl (2 years) loves ballet and is pretty transfixed by this. And our little boy (4 years) is a real telly addict but likes this too and I love them watching it as its so relaxing to watch compared to other children's DVDs. Its filmed as if on a stage with the camera stationary for the whole scene. Only problem is that some (maybe only one) of the dances aren't too clear as the camera is quite far away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting on-location original film which inspired the later 1992 ballet, 25 April 2012
I. Giles (Argyll, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Frederick Ashton has claim to be my favourite choreographer and whose work unfailingly exudes style, charm, poise and humour to name but few of its attractions. All of these are clearly exhibited in this marvellous Beatrix Potter choreographic confection with music arranged and orchestrated by John Lanchbery. This original film dates from 1971. It was so successful that a staged version was later created and first produced at Covent Garden by the Royal Ballet in 1992.

This original film version of the ballet has continued to be very popular - achieving somewhat of an evergreen classic status. The film was made on-location in the Lake District which leant a totally individual charm to the setting of the story and dances. These settings are, of course, simply unavailable to the later stage production which has also undergone considerable modifications to both the story content and choreography of the dances while maintaining all the essential charm and humour. In both the film and the staged ballet each tale is delightfully portrayed and equally delightfully danced by all concerned. The costumes are of the same high calibre as the dancing. The finale brings all the tales together in time-honoured fashion. This film version also brings in additional story content by including a young girl in the early part of the film who takes the role of Beatrix Potter and enacts the inspirations behind the creation of the Tales.

The camera work is totally sympathetic giving nice balance between detail and more general shots. The sound is presented in stereo and the Blu-ray restoration of the 1971 film has been expertly achieved with good colour and clear, clean imaging. The presentation includes a second disc containing a DVD version of the same content.

The disc is available as a multi-region issue and I am sure that it will give great pleasure to children of all ages, including those of more advanced age such as myself! This film is, in my opinion, a clear 5 star issue and therefore well worth adding to purchasers' collections. For those who may be interested in the later staged ballet version of these Tales, there is an equally enjoyable, but different, version available on Opus Arte which would make an ideal complement to this original film version.

............................................

Some dialogue from the comments section that may offer further help:

I thought that you might like to know that before I buy a recording I now look through all the reviews to see if you have posted one. Your assessments and opinions are invaluable. Thank you. (US review)

I particularly like your format of review. They give the prospective purchaser an idea of the style of the playing and relevant comparisons. They are succinct. Keep up the good work! (UK review)

I'm sure there are many other serious collectors, besides myself, who wait for your synopsis and opinion before spending their hard-earned money on new releases...

I'd also add to this. When you in particular review a particular CD, I pay pretty close attention. I would say the characteristics of your reviews I value the most are the detail and general sense of balance and fairness that comes across. That's a great help. Thanks for taking the time on your reviews. (US review)

............................................

5.0 out of 5 stars Still wonderful!, 26 Feb 2012
I purchased this to replace my old VHS copy which was beginning to fade and I'm glad I did as the colours have been beautifully restored on this 40th anniversary DVD edition. A great film which still has the power to enchant children and adults alike. I'm sure Miss. Potter would have approved!!

5.0 out of 5 stars CHARMING & DELIGHTFUL!, 12 Jan 2011
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Tales Of Beatrix Potter [DVD] (DVD)
Having recently read some of the tales from Beatrix Potter, I decided I would purchase this - a ballet performance of her most famous stories. However; after watching this, it seems that it was not the one that I'd seen a clip from on YouTube which had lead me to purchase it. The one I'd seen and had been tempted by was a live stage production. I love that kind of stage work, but this has real and scenic views and was filmed on location in the Lake District. Of course this could only enhance the performance and so was thoroughly enjoyable.

At this wickedly low price, no-one has the excuse to turn down the opportunity to become acquainted with the wonderful and classic creations of Beatrix Potter! The costumes and masks are stunning, and despite the sheer beauty of all the other characters, I felt oddly that 'Jeremy Fisher' was probably the best of all!

Simply charming and delightful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ballet marvellous!, 20 Sep 2010
Mr. N. Menday "nigeldrums" (Ruskington, Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tales Of Beatrix Potter [DVD] (DVD)
Superb...got this for our little Granddaughter...she adores it and so do we! Can't believe it's from so long ago. Wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars pure brilliance, 28 April 2010
John Moore "John Moore" (Dorset. England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tales Of Beatrix Potter [DVD] (DVD)
This is a excellent dvd of tales of Beatrix Potter set to ballet of the Royal Ballet. the costumes are first class the settings in the story are so life like and even the characters come to life so expertly given by the dancers. even if, you do not like the ballet just to see the costumes is very impressive young and old alike will like this dvd of excellent quaility and colour truely a very remarkable and enjoyable dvd.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

Tales Of Beatrix Potter [DVD]
Tales Of Beatrix Potter [DVD] by Reginald Mills (DVD - 2006)
37.75