5.0 out of 5 stars Classic humour
When I first saw this series, on BBC2 I think, I was not too fussed but at a later date I watched it again and for some reason fell in love with it! So when I saw the boxset on amazon I had to buy it! It has all of the episodes which are easy to re-watch when you are feelin low and will defo perk you up!!!
If you haven't seen it go get it, it is great
:0)...
Published on 14 Feb 2009

3.0 out of 5 stars No subtitles?! Why???
Published on 6 Sep 2011 by Valentina

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic humour, 14 Feb 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Gimme, Gimme, Gimme : Complete BBC Boxset [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
If you haven't seen it go get it, it is great
:0)
Darian

5.0 out of 5 stars Gimme, Gimme, Gimme more, 8 April 2008
Darren Watkins (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I had forgotten how funny this was. Yes, some of the episodes you do think 'why did they write that?'

The only problem I found with this collection is that: a) they never made enough episodes, b) you can not eat whilst watching it (I did and either choked on or spat out food through laughing - mmmmm pretty sight!!) and c) I had to watch all 3 discs one after the other. I was also dissappointed that there were no extras on the discs such as out takes or commentary, I like to watch/listen to those.

I have to say that I love Kathy Burke and Linda is just a treat to watch, wish I had had a flat mate like that.

But I did pay a bargain price so really can't complain. It is something I will watch over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars GIMME GIMME GIMME MORE!!!!, 4 Jun 2009
Giles Bernard J. Hall "Brgilesbernard" (Tasmania; Australia) - See all my reviews
What can I say!!!! This is a real gut buster of a series. It has the right ingredients for the perfect comedy pie. When ever I feel down or just need a lift, I pop this on and all my troubles erode away. What a delightful piece of comic tom foolery. British comedy at its best; what else can I say other than add it to your collection if you haven't already.

3.0 out of 5 stars No subtitles?! Why???, 6 Sep 2011
I'm Italian. I understand English pretty well, but I could definitely have used the subtitles, as I can't understand 100% of the dialogues. HOW on earth can it be that a DVD is made without subtitles?? I loved this sitcom very much (it was broadcasted on satellite TV here in Italy, subtitled), and I can't get over this lack of subtitles! What a bummer! I rated it 3 stars only because of this, otherwise it would have been 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 7 April 2008
I loved every single second of this boxset i was in stitches but it was a big shame that they jsut couldnt continue with it one of the best sitcoms that the bbc eer made.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 7 May 2009
Caleb Williams (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Gimme, Gimme, Gimme; starring the wonderful duo of Kathy Burke and James Dreyfus is one of the most original comedies to start off the millennium. Originally debuting in January 1999, the show caused much controversy from the very beginning for its crude language, constant innuendos and the stereotypical depiction of homosexuality with Dreyfus' character of Tom Farrell. Because of the controversy surrounding it, you would be forgiven for thinking that this wouldn't last longer than the first series, but this show became a massive success winning numerous comedy awards.

The premise of the show focuses around two unlikely flatmates, Tom and Linda. Tom is an untalented aspiring actor condemned to being an extra in soaps and adverts, whilst Linda is an aggressive, man hungry idiot with no ambition whatsoever. Throughout the series we become associated with their neighbours, Jez & Suze and their landlord Beryl. It features a number of spontaneous laugh out loud moments during episodes such as Tom getting married and Linda constantly trying to steal Jez from Suze.

There are some spectacular situations which make the show wholly enjoyable, but if you're easily offended then this isn't really for you. There are times when even I think they take it too far especially involving the anecdotal segments when Linda is talking about her childhood which imply that she had a life of child abuse and even hints at more dark humour in relation to said abuse, but I wont go into that. As much as I think everything is fair game for comedy, there is still a limit and trying to make a joke of child abuse just isn't right.

When the show first started, it was fresh and exciting which was the key to its success, but close to the end of its run I felt like the show was reaching for cheap laughs with even more stereotypical characters brought in, and childish jokes that ended with a ferocious use of swearing to get a cheap shock laugh. This is where it falls short of being a great to remember for years to come and although the repeats on TV do still give me a decent laugh, I can't possibly think of placing it in the same league as the great British comedies such as Fawlty Towers.

The best part about this is its utilisation of celebrity guests, most favourably the episode featuring Su Pollard as the Linda look-a-like, singing teacher of Tom, Heidi Honeycombe. This particular episode presents some superb one liners in particular the inclusion of the pun where Linda says "Heidi Hi!" as a nod to the sitcom that made Su Pollard famous. Overall it is still a superb series and although it does start to falter as it reaches the end of its tenure, it still presents some hearty chuckles which I think makes it deserving to be a part of anyone's DVD collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFULLY FUNNY, 18 Jun 2010
Sarah Keane "keanosk" (UK) - See all my reviews
What a fab DVD, I forgot how funny the pair of them are! Kathy Burke is a very funny woman and her and James act wonderfully together. You will laugh so much you will be crying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!, 18 Mar 2007
Lisa Pilkington "Lisa Pilkington" (Australia (Originaly English)) - See all my reviews
If you are a massive gimme gimme gimme fan this box set is for you. im just sad that there wasnt a fourth series :(

this is a great set for a rainy day inside! none stop laughter keeping you entertained!

Love It

5.0 out of 5 stars Gimme Report, 8 Feb 2009
This is pure damm great. This is brilliant Comedy Kathy Burke is 1st class. She really knows how to work James Dreyfus. I am surprised there is only 3 Series. There should be much more...
I think you can't fail to laugh at this, with hours of fantastic fun that we have all had some kind of relationship with some of the sketches.
superb Collection Go on enjoy!!! I did......

5.0 out of 5 stars Gimme Gimme Gimme is one of the best comedies of the 1990's, 30 Dec 2010
Miss Emma Kirk "E.Kirk" (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
Having watched all 3 series when they screened over 11 years ago on the BBC1/BBC2 channels I decided after Christmas 2010 I'd purchase the boxset, a) because I enjoyed all series (despite what some reviews here have said about the 2nd and 3rd series) b) I enjoy the works of comedy actors Kathy Burke & James Dreyfus (Linda La Hughes & Tom Farrell in the series) & finally c) as my series 2 DVD keeps skipping in my DVD machine.

A few guest stars appeared over the years - EastEnders actress Patsy Palmer appeared as herself, as did Hi Di Hi actress Su Pollard & TV presenters Dale Winton & Graham Norton.

Fab series all over - what with Linda's vile behaviour towards flatmate Tom, neighbours Jez & Suze & landlady Beryl.

The only thing I didn't overly enjoy were the regular appearances of Jez & Suze, I felt that storylines which they featured in didn't need to be introduced to the show, as I thought it detracted from the performances of the Tom and Linda characters. Beryl should've been included me in series 2 & 3, as her character provided more of the humour, and she never outdid Tom & Linds overall.

Over a decade on and I'd still rate Gimme, Gimme, Gimme a 10 out of 10 (with or without Jez 'n' Suze'.

I can't wait to receive this boxet in a week or so's time. :)

Gimme, Gimme, Gimme : Complete BBC Boxset [DVD] [1999]