5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Mind-blowing
My brother got this DVD for christmas - it is one of the best if not "the best" comic DVD I have ever watched. I have seen him on Mock the Week / HIGNFY and Jonathon Ross and he was funny but you don't know how funny until you watch this DVD.

Published on 12 April 2007 by S. Donovan

2.0 out of 5 stars Same old
I wasn't inspired really with Dara's DVD, felt it was the same old stuff being rolled out. Disappointed really, sorry.
Published 4 months ago by E. Duffy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Mind-blowing, 12 April 2007
S. Donovan (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dara O'Briain - Live [DVD] [2006] (DVD)

The extras are well worth it and there is more of an hour of extra footage which just leaves you wanting even more. There are so many best bits you can't single out one bit. We cried with laughter all the way through - we had to pause the DVD at some points in order to catch our breath otherwise we would have missed the next story.

Unfortunately because Dara O'Briain is quite recent this is the only DVD he currently has on offer - can't wait for his next tour or the next DVD - there's no point waiting for a special occasion - as soon as one comes out I will go and buy it.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - if I could give it more than five stars I would.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the funniest stand-up performances that I have ever seen., 31 Aug 2007
Philip Mayo - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dara O'Briain - Live [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
What a discovery !! I had seen Dara O'Briain on TV a number of times, guesting on shows such as QI and lately hosting the often very funny "Mock The Week". So I was looking forward to looking at the DVD of his show at the Theatre Royal.

One critic, writing in The Guardian, and quoted on the DVD cover, describes the show as "A master-class in intelligent stand-up". That is no exaggeration.

We watched it for the first time as a group of 4 friends, without any particular expectations, and we quickly went from smiling to chuckling to uncontrollable laughter. The group effect obviously helped, but I have watched it since on my own and I was soon laughing out loud again. This guy is really good - very, very funny indeed.

It is clear form his TV appearances that Dara O'Briain has a very sharp wit - he is quick on his feet, inventing new material as we listen. This performance shows him doing precisely that - and so well.

There is a lot of interaction with the audience. (Note - very important for the more retiring of us to avoid the front few rows if going to one of his shows !). This interaction is clearly totally genuine. We are watching a virtuoso comic at work. By bouncing conversation and quips back and forth with members of the audience (and never unkindly) he creates exceptional original comedy while also seamlessly including large, well rehearsed segments from his normal repertoire.

Watch out for his "driving lesson experiences" as applicable to his sex life, and watch out for the piece on "tattoos and body-piercing". Even thinking of that as I write this makes me smile broadly.

A wonderful performance. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dara O'Briain Live! Fanatastically Funny!!!, 22 Nov 2006
M. Brown "mattbrown001" (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dara O'Briain - Live [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Before watching this I had really only ever seen Dara hosting things like Have I Got News For You and Mock The Week or appearing as a guest on other shows. I'd always found him very funny on these occasions and therefore found the prospect of a live dvd from him very intriguing. I have to say that I wasn't disappointed from start to finish, from his involvement of the front row right thru to his on the spot ad libbing it quite simply leaves little time for breathing between jokes. Fantastic stuff, highly recommended to anyone you wants to laugh til their stomach hurts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comedy Perfection !, 11 April 2008
Conchie (Dublin, Ireland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dara O'Briain - Live [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I have watched this DVD more times than I can count, and I never fail to end up in tears of laughter from start to finish. Dara gives quite simply the best stand up performance I have watched in years. The brilliance of his show is the ad libbing with members of the audience... how he can create an entire routine on the spot simply by chatting to audience members is amazing. Best bits... well where to start... Gillian Mc Keith.....and the marvellous "you've been told twice" line just kills me !!! SUPERB

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get much better than this, 20 July 2007
This review is from: Dara O'Briain - Live [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
The show itself is outstanding, and the extras are certainly nothing to scoff at either. There's a balance of audience interaction (read: good-natured mocking) and really well-told jokes/anecdotes that make this one of the best comedy DVDs I've ever seen. Dara's review of the show with Ed Byrne (and amusing drinking game) is a worthwhile and hilarious extra--I wasn't so impressed by the "Milky Bar Kid" interview, but it had its moments of humour too. Overall, a fine first (of eventually many, I hope!) DVD from one of my favourite comedians.

5.0 out of 5 stars What to say ..., 19 Jan 2009
T. E. Hartshorn (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dara O'Briain - Live [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. Dara is funny, intelligent, warm, charming, and this DVD shows that to great effect. Some comedians can be really cruel to their audience, but not Dara. He may mock gently, but he does so in such a way that the person feels special rather than abused.

On the extras is a great drinking game with Ed Byrne, and more insight into how Dara builds his act. You can also watch Dara's brilliant Live At the Apollo set, and very sweetly, a brief interview with one of the Milky Bar Kids.

As I said in the review for his 2008 show, you can justify owning both these DVDs. Because of how Dara does his act, with mostly improvisation and only a few 'set jokes', it's completely different each time. Or as he often says 'You had to be there'. I only wish I had been.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Irish Comic, Best DVD I have, 14 Jan 2008
This review is from: Dara O'Briain - Live [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
This DVD is fantatstic. Although I believe his stuff to be more rehearsed than you'd be led to believe. that's not a negative comment as his show is side splitting all the way through there's no weak jokes and the audience interaction is top class.
For those easily offended out there..It isn't offensive:Just funny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Savage!, 25 Nov 2007
This review is from: Dara O'Briain - Live [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Dara is hilarious in this DVD.....i used to watch him on THE PANEL here in Ireland but now he doesn't appear often sadly. This is the best comedy dvd ever...and i have watched it over and over again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly cried, 13 Dec 2006
This review is from: Dara O'Briain - Live [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I have seen dara perform a couple of times in short spots but this is fantastic and myself and my sister were nearly in tears. The great thing about this dvd that really makes it is that in addition to dara's whole live set is an additional half hour routine, and an interview between himself and ed byrne (who is on his show "the panel") which is another half hour.

Most comedy dvds don't even bother with extras, but this is a brilliant additional treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Gold, 29 Dec 2006
Michelle (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dara O'Briain - Live [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Got this as an additional Christmas present for my husband, having seen Dara on Jonathan Ross - thought it was a safe bet but didn't really know what to expect. Watched the DVD and we never stopped laughing once through the whole routine! Right up there with Peter Kay and Jack Dee in our book. Loved his segment on Gillian McKeith (one of the many 'how true' moments in the routine!) as well as his driving test experience. This guy is professional, sharp witted and absolutely brilliant ... if/when he brings out his next DVD we'll definitely be getting it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb0f58d08)

Dara O'Briain - Live [DVD] [2006]
Dara O'Briain - Live [DVD] [2006] by Paul Wheeler (DVD - 2006)
4.76