4.0 out of 5 stars The inimitable Michael Palin. Great stuff
Published on 4 Nov 2010 by Robert A. Cant

2.0 out of 5 stars Palin is brilliant but....
...why does BBC Worldwide put a long advertisment for some of its other videos at the beginning of each disk that the viewer cannot bypass?

In my opinion, Palin's documentaries are brilliant - but Ricky Gervais, Steve Coogan (aka Alan Partridge) etc. are cringeworthy. Having paid a lot of money to purchase this set of DVDs, why do I have to watch this...
Published 15 months ago by Another customer

4.0 out of 5 stars The inimitable Michael Palin. Great stuff, 4 Nov 2010
Robert A. Cant "RobfromNZ" (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Travels with Palin [DVD] (DVD)
There are 20 DVDs in this set. If you are looking for Michael Palin Travelogues, then you'll know what he's about, and I don't really need to rave about that. The gentle humour, interesting places, are simply an easy watch, and great way to relax. You probably know that already. What makes this set worthwhile is that I think every series has a number of "deleted scenes" which for me, make this set. The quality of what got cut is still excellent, and you can't see these any other way. There's usually 30 - 60 minutes worth for each series. Plus interviews with Michael. When I bought this set the value was extraordinary, and at current prices (as at Nov 2010), they're well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nobody expects..., 6 Sep 2007
This review is from: The Michael Palin Collection [DVD] (DVD)
..or indeed should expect to glean so much pleasure from a DVD box set. I was on a training course when 80 days came out. We were supposed to bond in the evenings and I got stuck listening to somebody drone on about jubilee clips or something or other. The bar-man turned on the TV and there was Mr. Palin going about his business. I didn't even pretend to be paying attention to Mr Bore thereafter and settled down to an hour of sheer enjoyment and it has been that way ever since. I greet each new series with barely contained glee and have even marked my calendar for the New Europe series. His charming demeanour, bonhomie and never ceasing enthusiasm for an adventure rubs off seemlessly. A delight!

5.0 out of 5 stars palins progress, 4 Jan 2011
This review is from: Travels with Palin [DVD] (DVD)
this is the boxset you've been waiting for,every travel thing michael has ever done in his own inimitable style, a must buy, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a must-have DVD, 9 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Michael Palin Collection [DVD] (DVD)
As every other reviewer on here has already stated: this DVD is a treat!

It contains six of the travel series Palin has done: Around the World in 80 Days, Pole to Pole, Full Circle, Hemingway Adventure, Sahara, Himalaya and Great Railway Journeys. Hours of entertainment with the peerless Michael Palin.

The DVDs are nicely packaged and each one contains extras including an interview with Palin where he reminisces about the situations and characters he met which makes a nice little ending to each DVD.

In fact the only drawback to these DVDs is that I want to go to every place he visits!

Incidentally, the books are also great and offer a different perspective to what we see on TV!
Around The World In Eighty Days
Pole To Pole
Full Circle

5.0 out of 5 stars Edutainment!, 6 Dec 2007
Craig E. Huxley "Fellow traveller" (Thessaloniki, Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Michael Palin Collection [DVD] (DVD)
This has to be one of the most entertaining and educational boxed sets ever made. Not only does it show you corners of the globe that most of us will never see but Michael Palin does it with a humour that almost everyone will enjoy. He is priveleged to meet with distinguished hosts on his travels and the insight he gives us into people's lives is truly humbling at times. My only grumble is that I would like to see some 'bloopers' as an extra (maybe they're there but I haven't found them yet). I look forward to the next series around Europe!

5.0 out of 5 stars World traveller extraordinaire!!, 27 Dec 2006
Neil Lindsay (Doncaster, South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Michael Palin Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Michael Palin's has now made a successful subsequent career out of travelling the world and talking about these far-flung lands in his own intelligent, witty style. And aren't we the more beneficial for the experience! It is a privilege to hear Michael Palin relay his experiences of his travels, and luckily for us here they all are in one superb box-set. These are perfect to dip into and lose yourself in. An almost perfect Christmas present because it appeals to everyone on so many levels.

5.0 out of 5 stars A box of wonders, 15 July 2009
P. F. Naden (Warrnigton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Michael Palin Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I first saw around the world when it first broadcast in 1989, I was four years old and I remember it vividly. Since then I have loved every subsequent journey. My dad, being a python fan, taped every episode of every series. I have found over the years there is no better way to make use of a few days off from school/work due to flu or some other ailment, than to watch one or more of these fantastic journeys. Thats why I bought this box set, those tapes were on their last legs.

Around the world in 80 days is proof that the world isn't quite as small as we like to think it is, while pole to pole and full circle demonstrate how most people will miss out on the best part of traveling simply by getting on a plane.

As somebody who has almost literally grown up watching these programs, I have to say I don't think I would be the same person today had they not been made. Besides, I learned much more watching these programs than I did in my geography GCSE.

Wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars a voice of sanity in a troubled world, 13 May 2011
This review is from: Travels with Palin [DVD] (DVD)
take a break from the reality TV and the game shows and watch this for entertainment. You may even learn something. Michael Palin tours the world and is nice to people and generally they are nice to him.

This is the ultimate collection of Palin's travel programmes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable travelogues with beauty and humour, 20 May 2012
talmy (Oregon, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Travels with Palin [DVD] (DVD)
I must admit that until buying this collection I had never seen any of Michael Palin's travel series. But based on the reviews here I decided to take the chance, and we are glad I did. We have just starting on them and they are mesmerising. The price on amazon.co.uk is excellent as well -- less than 1/3 the price of the individual series combined here in the US (the only way they are offered).

5.0 out of 5 stars Travels with Palin DVD Boxset, 23 April 2012
This review is from: Travels with Palin [DVD] (DVD)
This product is excellent value for money and I would highly recommend it to any Michael Palin fans. You get to see Michael Palin's old and new travel DVD's and its particuarly interesting when he re-visits countries and sees how they have changed over time. After watching some of the DVD's I actually feel like I have been there myself!

The Michael Palin Collection [DVD]
The Michael Palin Collection [DVD] by Roger Mills (DVD - 2006)
Used & New from: £36.99