5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic!
Published on 9 Feb 2007 by Graham Jeffery

1.0 out of 5 stars Started out great but soon gave up the ghost
I bought this shredder as I run my own business and have too much confidential information for an ordinary home shredder to be effective. I didn't think it was pricey for what it was as it's designed with businesses in mind and there are plenty of lower spec shredders for ordinary use.

I was delighted with my purchase - so delighted in fact that I purchased one...
Published on 30 Jan 2008 by Lady Precious

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic!, 9 Feb 2007
Graham Jeffery (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fellowes Powershred DS-1 Cross-Cut Shredder with SafeSense Technology (Office Product)
I bought this shredder because it was recommended by Which? magazine, and it has lived up entirely to its promise. A little pricey, but it paid for itself immediately I had it out of the box. My old shredder had given up and a 10-cm stack of client-confidential material had accumulated. It would have taken about 90 minutes feeding this at 2-3 sheets at a time into the old machine, especially allowing for the jams caused by occasionally trying four sheets. I cleared this backlog in five minutes!

I now have a nice bag-load of pet bedding. It's a pity I don't have any pets. I shall put it out for recycling and award myself a few green points.

One reviewer complains about the safety mechanism. If you touch the metal around the slot with your finger, the machine will switch off. So don't touch the metal plate! (Touching it with the paper causes no problem whatsoever.)

5.0 out of 5 stars It finally died after more than six years of faithful service, 6 July 2008
Mike "Mike the Director" (Hampshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
*Updated my review in August 2014; the faithful server has finally died after working hard throughout its life!
*Updating my July 2008 review in March 2014: this shredder is still working reliably.

This shredder worked, out of the box, with no problems. I was alert to possible problems with the "touch-sensitive" sensor around the paper entry, but I have experienced no inadvertent shutdowns. Just keep your fat fingers away from the silver strip, which is patently obvious as a sensible precaution.

In its more than six years with us, this shredder chewed up everything fed into it - including credit cards and CDs.

The paper shreds are accumulating towards the back of the collection basket; this is a slight problem because the REAR of the collection basket is about 4cm lower than the front. MEMO TO USER - when the accumulated paper gets to within 6cm of the top of the basket, empty it!

Dust accumulates at the back of the basket housing - big deal, it just means that this superb shredder is pulverising the paper fed in at the top.

Money well spent - don't bother buying the shredder bags, just tip out the basket regularly and plan to vacuum up the dust occasionally.
Price June 2008 (I looked back!) - £70.83 including £5 P&P; Across six years (74 months in all) that is less than £1 per month - outstanding!
Price now Aug 2014- Amazon £99.00; Tesco.com £99-00 and can deliver to a store for tomorrow afternoon Wednesday (Amazon was Thurs) plus Clubcard points - Deal!!

Mike

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks and performance!!, 27 Aug 2007
I love this shredder! Having used various ones before this has to be the best I have ever bought and well worth the extra cost. I shred everything so the huge basket is fantastic and so easy and light to empty each time. I am a sucker for products that look good as well and as shredders go this one is the most attractive on the market.

It shreds everything with ease and not having to remove staples is an added bonus. I've had no problems with the safe sense feature but if I had I would just disable it like another reviewer has. It isn't the quietest machine but it's nowhere near the loudest either.

The one thing I would say about previous people who complain about breakdowns is that ALL shredders need to be oiled regularly with good shredder oil. Hard use and no oil will wear any unit down much quicker.

This is an expensive shredder but if you want performance, ease of use and good looks then the investment is well worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Started out great but soon gave up the ghost, 30 Jan 2008

I was delighted with my purchase - so delighted in fact that I purchased one for the office where I work (in addition to my business). More fool me. Both have decided to be temperamental when it comes to shredding - sometimes they will shred and sometimes they won't. I've been trying for the last 3 days to get the office one to shred some small documents and it will not go at all. No lights on, no paper feeding - nothing - it is silently telling me to *bleep* off! I haven't over used either of them and don't feed too many sheets through as the maximums on these things are always overstated for marketing purposes.

So, after initially thinking this was a great shredder - I'd never recommend it to anyone and am going to apply for a refund as they are both just a few months old.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good shredder but....., 24 Aug 2007
Catweazle (Horley, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
...I had to disable the ridiculously oversensitive SafeSense feature as it was preventing any paper being shredded. And, before you ask, my hands were nowhere near the shredder input slot! I guess this may be due to the paper having similar conductivity to human skin (maybe it was slightly, imperceptibly damp...), but then I'm no scientist! Other reviewers have commented that creased paper caused problems, but my shredder wouldn't shred perfectly flat paper!

Now that I have disabled the SafeNonsense feature, shredder performance is very good and it quickly and easily shreds paper, light card, and credit cards into 35mm x 5mm strips.

And how to disable SafeSense? Well, this was mentioned by a reviewer back in April - just slide the switch on the right-hand underside of the shredder head (perilously close to the shredding teeth, which I note with delicious irony - SafeNonsense indeed...).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good looking, effective shredder., 31 Jan 2007
R. Montalto "rob@montalto.co.uk" (Loughton, Essex) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these as I wanted something at home to offer some protection from Identity Fraud (particularly as we have to put all of our paper, etc into clear plastic recycling bags!).

I had a read around and felt that the DS-1 offered the best spec for the money. Also, as it was for my home, it didn't look that bad either and so it wouldn't look out of place in my study.

I have found it very useful and effective. Now I just shred all of the junk mail, old utility bills, envelopes, old CD's, credit cards...in fact everything I can. The bits come out of the shredder into a mesh hopper at the bottom, which is easily removed and tipped into the recycle bag. Nothing is readable at all.

It has a safety mechanism which temporarily cuts off the shredder if you touch the mouth (where you put the paper in) or if the bin isn't in properly, or if you put in too many sheets at once (ie more than about 8) (which you only really do when you are a bit impatient).

All in all, I am very pleased with it. In fact I bought another one for the office (although from Argos because it was about a tenner cheaper - since then Amazon had reduced the price) and I am going to buy a second for the office today!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really excellent shredder, 10 July 2008
I bought one of these a few weeks ago and the initial signs are very good indeed. I had a previous Fellowes shredder, but it was really too small for the amount of stuff I was putting through it and it just got worn out. The DS1 is recommended by Which? and I do find that their recommendations are usually very trustworthy. OK, a bit pricey, but I had accumulated a lot of Amazon vouchers from various sources to pay for it.

Like the previous reviewer, I have had no problems with any cut offs from the sensor. I have shredded a pile of papers about an inch thick in just over 5 minutes, which I find pretty impressive. I have loaded up to 10 sheets in one go without any problems and it has not overheated - yet - compared with my previous one. The basket fills up quickly and it does tend to make a bit of a mess underneath it. I simply push the shreddings down to compact them, before starting again. I also find the unit remarkably quiet.

OK, I have only had the DS1 for just over two weeks, but I am very impressed so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great shredder!, 30 Jan 2007
I bought this shredder as it's recommended as the Best Buy in the January Which? magazine.

It flies through everything you chuck at it, shredding it into tiny pieces. I threw in a few old credit cards too....it didn't even slow down.

And with 11 pages at a time, it makes the chore of shredding very easy indeed.

Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars A cut above average!, 11 May 2012
Pepper (Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Our specimen of this shredder has had a couple years of quite hard use - I retired recently and shredded 35 years worth of work related memories (or is it nightmares?), plus, my partner works from home in a busy job which generates a lot of shredding material. The DS-1 shredder has not stood idle in our household and has performed faultlessly - the negative comments some reviewers make really come as a surprise.

We like this shredder because -

- It's nice and tall - you are encouraged to shred immediately rather than build up a pile for shredding through a shredder you have to keep bending down to use.
- Allied to the point above, the bin is much more capacious than most, although, the footprint of the unit is about average for a compact shredder.
- There is a foot pedal on the paper bin so you can remove it more easily or use it as a waste paper bin for non-shredded waste.
- It looks a lot better designed and finished than a lot of shredders - the design is unintrusive.
- The shredder is quiet and smooth in operation.
- It is forgiving of the accidental failure to remove bindings/heavy staples etc.
- Credit cards are fully "digested" ensuring complete security.
- The "Safe Sense" feature makes this shredder very safe - it protects our cat who sometimes perches on top of the shredder. "Safe Sense" means that the shredder won't operate if anything is touching the (conductive) silver bezel around the shredding slot (you can turn this feature off from underneath the motor unit, but, I can't think why you'd want to).
- There is an overheat warning light to warn you if you are too enthusiastic in your shredding.
- The shredding speed is fast with a reverse function in case of jams etc.

Cons -

- When you remove the paper bin to empty it some shreds of paper can drop down from under the motor unit onto the floor, or, into well of the shredder. I only mention this out of a sense of balance, it is of no consequence really.

In summary, effective, safe, reliable and robust. Yes, it costs more than some other shredders but delivers much more too. Recommended.

PS. By way of update, our second shredder (not a Fellowes branded one) failed, and, I have ordered a second one of these DS-1 shredders to replace it. It has proved to be the best model of shredder we have owned (and we've had few).

5.0 out of 5 stars Lubricate regularly for reliable performance!!, 7 Sep 2011
James B. Spink "Jim" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The Fellowes DS-1 is a very good shredder which has so far proved fast and reliable in use. There is an informative Product Description on Amazon's product page which shows all the safety and other features of this machine and will give you a good idea of its size and style. It is floor-standing and can also be used as a wastepaper bin for non-confidential paperwork.

As with any shredder, and many other mechanical devices, a bit of lubrication is required to keep things running smoothly. Fellowes supply special shredder oil, which is a light vegetable oil specifically for this purpose, and this should be used along the slot every time the basket is emptied. At around five or six quid for a reasonable sized bottle it is a very good investment! I wonder how many of those reviewers giving the DS-1 poor ratings actually read the shredders instructions and used a lubricant.

This shredder actually encourages me to use it - unlike other shredders I've used which just jam up or need constant emptying. A reliable cutter and decent sized bin make this shredder a pleasure to use - well as much as a shredder can be! DON'T FORGET THE OIL!!