5.0 out of 5 stars Once again ....delicious!
I first read Ruth Reichl's 'Garlic and Sapphires' and loved her writing style and passion for food so much that I bought her earlier books!

Published on 7 Dec 2006 by Sarah Durston

3.0 out of 5 stars OK
I usually love food related autobiographies but wasn't so crazy about this. It was quite readable but not quite as good as I had hoped.
Published 17 months ago by Alison

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Once again ....delicious!, 7 Dec 2006
Sarah Durston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

I wasn't disappointed. This is another beautiful memoir describing Reichl's early years and experiences with food. It will be a while before I forget Alice's apple dumplings, her mother's totally orange Halloween dinner or her travels through Tunisia. The book also includes a smattering of recipes.

Absolutely delicious, a must for foodies!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good luck, Ruthie, 16 July 1998
By A Customer
I first heard of Ruth Reichl during her radio interview on "Fresh Air" with Terry Gross. Later, a friend told me that Reichl also has a radio show in New York. Ah, those lucky New Yorkers...
In this book, Ruth Reichl's stories cut across the many planes of her world: food, family, self, cities, friends, and last but definitely not least -- mental illness.
Though each story in this set of memoirs is nominally "complete" with a starting and ending point that lets it stand on its own, there is nonetheless a sense of skittishness and patchiness that permeates the collection. Characters enter and exit the book with scarce, absent, or post-facto introduction. Episodes end abruptly, and suddenly Ruth is somewhere else -- in a different place and time.
These effects are surely intentional. Because they are a part of how Ruth has lived and continues to live in a life influenced by her mother's manic depression, her own emerging mental crises which! ! are mentioned in the closing chapters, and the places and times within which she lives.
Most of the stories-with-crises that Riechl tells from childhood through adulthood end on hopeful notes, but you often don't find out what happens afterward. The same with the greater story of Riechl's life -- we are hopeful that she will come out of this ok, but we can't be sure.
Readers of this book may also be interested in Ron Suskind's _A Hope in the Unseen_ (also reviewed by a few folks on this website) which ends in a similar way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book!, 6 Sep 1999
By A Customer
I thought this book was great! I guess I wasn't disappointed with the ending because I then went on to read "DINING OUT" by Andrew Dornenburg -- another great book in which Reichl is featured prominently, both on the cover and in the text as one of America's leading restaurant critics. After reading how she developed her passion for food in "TENDER AT THE BONE", I loved learning what her life as a restaurant reviewer was like in "DINING OUT"!

4.0 out of 5 stars YUM!, 26 May 1999
By A Customer
This book is a must for people who share the belief that eating is not a biological necessity but rather one of life's great adventures. Ruth Reichl has enriched the life of many with her superb reviews. Now she has added courage and generosity to her work by sharing some of the experiences that formed her. It was a joy to share her physical and psychological journeys. I will continue to emulate her zest for life and food!

5.0 out of 5 stars A portrait of how family and food shaped a life., 8 May 1999
By A Customer
Ruth Reichl is so brave to bare her family's dysfunctional framework and how it shaped her life as a food lover, cook and critic. I kept wondering if the people she so openly writes about are still alive to see what she wrote! Her love of food is poetic, but her open-minded life more than that is a testament to finding balance and optimism. I hope now that she's at Gourmet she can look back and write about what it was like to become restaurant critic of the New York Times.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 27 Jan 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Growing Up At The Table, 26 Jun 2012
Lincs Reader (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Ruth Reichl has been the restaurant critic for The New York Times and the editor of Gourmet magazine. Living in the UK, I really didn't know much about her, but had read reviews of her work and I do love 'foodie books', so was hoping for a tasty read!

Although food does play a huge part in the book and in Ruth's life, this is more than just her foodie adventures. This is an honest account of her upbringing in a very strange, almost eccentric family. Her mother is known as the Queen of Mold - purely because the food that she served up on a daily basis was mostly inedible. Ruth spent much of her formative years watching out for dinner guests and trying politely to urge them not to eat the food that her mother had so lovingly prepared. Despite this, many guests did suffer after attending dinner parties, yet Mother was never affected. Although potentially poisoning your guests is pretty serious, Reichl tells her tale in a humourous way. It is clear that her mother was suffering with mental health problems and despite their precarious and often very fragile relationship, Reichl does show a fondness for those years.

Ruth Reichl encountered food in many different places; away at a Montreal boarding school, in France and later in life in many other parts of the world. This was by no means a tradtional food education but her experiences gave her a particular insight into what tastes good and what certainly doesn't. Littered throughout the book are the recipes that she collected along her travels, which although I haven't yet attempted, do seem very easy to follow.

This is a really interesting memoir, with some great characters. It's at times very funny, and at others, quite sad. I really enjoyed reading about her life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book., 26 Jan 2004
By A Customer
Okay, first of all I must confess that my favourite books of all time are books sprinkled with recipes - as this book is. Apart from the recipes (which aren't too regular - just an occasional treat) the story is wonderful. A real rollercoaster ride, you can't help but love Ruth as you follow her life, and cry and laugh with her. One of those books that makes you fall totally in love with the author. An absolute joy to read, although heartbreaking in places. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars An 'OK' read, 20 July 1999
By A Customer
I enjoyed the book except for the end ... it ends extremely abruptly, like a car that has just run out of gas !!! You are left asking questions about the various people you read about all through the book -are they still alive, divorced,WHAT !!! Maybe she's planning a sequel ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Page after page of small joys, 22 Jun 1999
By A Customer
I'd never read anything by Ruth Reichl before picking up this book, but you can be assured that I will seek out her work after having put it down! The short vignettes are delightfuly entertaining and the chapter on her travels through Greece made me dance around my living room with my boyfriend in one hand and an ice cream cone in the other in appreciation of all the little things in life that make me happy. If I can live a life half as full as Reichl's, I'll die a very happy woman.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Tender at the Bone
Tender at the Bone by Ruth Reichl (Paperback - 1998)
Used & New from: 9.97