on 30 December 2008
As I do PC repair, I bought both this orange mat and the green Workmat together. Before they were delivered, I expected the green mat to look more professional for house visits. However, this orange mat looks smarter than the photo suggests and folds down to a convenient pocket-size. The green one looks great on the workbench but is bulky, so if it is portability you are after, go for this product.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 April 2013
I bought this to replace my old 'pro' anti-static service kit which was on it's last legs due to years of use, dirt, wear and tear taking it's toll, so I decided it's time for a 'cheap' replacement for occasional use and I took a chance on this due to it's low price (the pro versions can cost well over double or triple what this one costs).

The quality of the materials on this Lindy kit is poor unfortunately and it's construction isn't good when compared to what professional service technicians use, BUT, it's reasonably ok for occasional use. If you use this kit regularly, then expect it to wear out/fall apart extremely fast. This 'service kit' is NOT suitable for soldering work on ESD sensitive components due to the vinyl it is made of, my impression is that if a blob of molten or even hot solder falls on it, then it will go through it like a hot knife through butter.

The material used is cheap thin flexible vinyl which is about the thickness of light craft paper (my old pro one was double layer 3/4mm thick and hot solder proof), unfortunately I can't test the Lindy mat's ESD properties yet due to not having an ESD meter to hand, but looking at the grounding wire and strap it should work fine (I don't know about the mat through).

The wrist strap has a 1MΩ resistance built in, probably through a resistor in the wrist strap snap fastener on the band itself.

The black hub-plug that connects to the mat has two banana plug sockets on one edge (which I'll call the grounding hub as it is used as one) for plugging in the wrist strap and another optional lead. The two banana sockets on the hub have no resistors between them and the black grounding wire, it's just a straight through grounding wire to the banana sockets with no resistance that I can measure, so any wrist strap and optional lead that plugs into the hub will individually need to have a resistor built in to them.

The black mat 'hub-plug' has a snap fastener on one side which mates directly onto the mat's snap connector and has a 1MΩ resistor built in between the hub snap fastener and the black ground wire within the 'hub'.

The poor quality crocodile clip at the end of the black grounding wire is removable due to the manufacturer putting a banana plug on the wire end, this is handy if you have a 3 pin UK grounding plug that has banana sockets but is useless if the plug is of the snap fastener connection type.

That's about all I can really say about the basic and cheap 'grounding hub' and the wrist strap in this 'kit'. As for the mat, it's a basic and cheap 'static dissipative' mat that should hopefully work. You get what you pay for, if you need one for daily use or for work, then AVOID THIS and pay for a proper anti-static professional service kit from somewhere like RS Components, it will be worth the extra money in the long term, otherwise you will go through these Lindy kits faster than a bad vindaloo would go through you.
on 19 September 2009
If you're going to do any work inside a computer, I'd recommend this mat. Not only will it protect your components from static, it will also protect your work surface, and keep everything 'on the island' for you (screws don't easily roll off it. You can find them more easily too).

The mat is smart, neat and lightweight, has two large pockets, and packs away into a small space when you've finished. Buy it: you'll be glad you did.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I was very surprised to learn that this product was supplied by LINDY who, as far as I was concerned, was the supplier of very high quality connectors, cables, adapters and general communications equipment and associated accessories. I always purchase my 'high quality' computer cables & connectors from LINDY because they are simply the best.

I was not disappointed by the Antic-Static Service Kit which is basically an antistatic mat with studs for the connection of earthing straps and grounding cables which are also supplied. Grounding plugs have to be purchased separately. The mat has a couple storage pockets for tools or small components.

I have used this mat twice recently, both times whilst working on a laptop. In the first instance I performed a simple memory (RAM) upgrade by replacing a couple memory boards. On the second occasion I swapped out a 500GB hard drive for a 512GB solid-state drive. This was far more involved but in each case I was glad of the protection afforded by the mat which reduced antistatic currents to a minimum. Modern electronic components are so densely packaged that even a small spark generated by an antistatic voltage can destroy the delicate components in microseconds without warning. I would never work on microcircuitry without the aid of an antistatic mat.

LINDY are generally expensive but this mat is not in the expensive category. It is a perfect complement for the home DIY-er/computer technician.
on 26 December 2009
Did exactly what it said. Reasonable price. Particuarly liked the wrist strap and earth connection.
on 12 May 2015
Great mat, got some pockets for screws etc... Nothing much to say, if you're new to building and want to be safe get it. The shoe is there for a scale.
review image review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 May 2010
First off, physicaly the matt measures in at 23.5" long & 23.5" wide. I bought this Lindy anti-static kit as i am looking into building my own PC in the future, so this is a handy piece of gear to have at my disposel when it comes to preventing static charges damaging the delicate computer components or simply as a barrier on a worktop or your mums dining table. I've actually as of only recently, re-built an old PC on this mat, and it also comes in handy for when installing a new graphics card or when i sit my PC on it ouside on the patio table on a nice dry sunny day when cleaning out dust every 6 months.

The mat is handy, a decent amount of space around the mat with my Mid-tower PC on it, standing upright, less so laying flat to work inside it. I could actually install my RAM, CPU, heatsink etc... into my Motherboard on the mat with the case standing upright on one side, but not with the case flat obviously, as the case consumes all but a few inches of the edges of the mat. Apart from static protection it makes a decent enough protective barrier, which helps prevent scratching the table or work surface you are using. When not in use it folds up nice & small into my Tool Case so its good for home use & perfect for mobile usage door to door when storage space is important. It is a bit pricey for the size TBH, and you may find it wanting if you have a Full-tower case to work with. I've been very happy using it. Recommended.
on 20 December 2010
Product arrived very quickly (next-day), as I ordered it b4 a certain time (approx 2pm). I've not yet used the 'Lindy Anti-Static Mat', but from a quick inspection the product looks very good, and the fact that it has two Grounding Studs/Points on two of the corners to connect any combination of Wrist Strap/PC Chassis Clip/Mains Grounding Points, to me seems very beneficial and practical.

The only small negative I have of the product is that it could be slightly larger, and could do with a Carry Pouch to help protect the mat when transporting it from job to job in my tool kit, but for the price I can't really complain!

I can see this product being an essential item in my tool kit, and would recommend the 'Lindy Anti-Static Mat' to anyone who is building/upgrading their own PC system, or any 'Field Engineer'...
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2013
I purchased this particular mat as it was recommended by a friend. I wasn't in much need for it but I thought it would be a useful addition to the technician tool bag.

I have since used this mat for a few repairs, and it has been fantastic. I had to take apart a laptop, literally gut it, the mat is big enough to settle components down, the pockets are useful for holding tools. There is room for two anti-static wristbands to be attached to the mat, which came useful when a friend and I was fixing a laptop together.

All in all, a great piece of kit, I highly recommend this to anyone doing repairs which involve removal of components and a safe place to put them.
on 13 April 2013
Since you can't see static, and since it doesn't always do its damage straight away, it's difficult to know how good anti-static devices are. You go on faith in what the scientists say, and hope that the products are genuinely effective. I've used this one, and I have to say it's much better than just using a wrist-band clipped on to an earthed computer case (especially if the case is painted!). Placed over a table it makes a good, convenient work surface with the wristband supplied to clip yourself to the mat. My computer is working just fine, and that means this mat is probably just great! I'm very pleased I bought it.

See one answered question