on 22 September 2010
Nice new compact boxset. Not one of the best David Croft comedies but still excellent entertainment. However, I thought I'd write this review mainly to inform everyone what additional features are available in this release, something I was unable to discover anywhere before buying it. Like the original releases, it contains all episodes from Series 1-10, Christmas Specials and the documentary 'Funny Women - Mollie Sugden'.

The new 'Bonus Disc' contains the following:

The Biographical Documentaries,

Funny Turns - John Inman (1999)
Life on the Box - Wendy Richard (2001)
Celebrating Mollie Sugden: An Are You Being Served Special

Compilation show, with linking material with John Inman in character,

The Best of Are You Being Served

And a behind the scenes segment from BBC One's Breakfast Time (1983)

So, a nice collection of extras but no outtakes or the re-coloured pilot episode.
1010 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 August 2009
I remember watching this series in the seventies. It was great viewing, even in b/w because we didn't have colour. After my nan had bought a colour set I watched it at hers and the first thing that struck me was ms Slocombe's hairdo being differently toned in each episode. We used to place bets as to which shade it would be next week. We're almost thirty years on and AYBS is still one of my favourites. I bought the One To Five box, along with subsequent episodes available on single discs, and I find myself rolling with laughter at the innuendoes and gay puns just as I did when I watched it the first time. I just can't get enough of it. Everyting about the series is dated to the core. The set is old fashioned, the cast's wardrobe is screamingly out of fashion and the way the company - Grace Brothers - is run is a rollercoaster ride to disaster. Instead of selling the merchandise the staff engage itself in pointless meetings, ridicule each other over minor shortcomings, prepare for dances and shows or obstruct sales promotions. In effect hardly any item gets sold over the counters at Grace Brother's. And still the staff expect a full paypacket, hand delivered to them each week. They even consider laying off work for payrises. In spite of it being aged it's still great value to watch, even to this day. The sexual innuendoes and double entendres are unbeatable. Almost every line spoken by characters has an underlying meaning. That's what makes it so worthwile, plus the fact I discover something new everytime I put it on. Another thirty years on I'd probably still be watching AYBS occasionally....
on 12 September 2008
Comedy at it's best, the sort you can't get nowadays. It's not allowed. And if you thought that Wendy Richard was just the stodgy old bint in Eastenders, have a look at this . You'll get the shock of your life. The first episode in series one is in black and white, the rest in colour, which will give you an idea of the age of it. But it's lost nothing in the years between. In fact, it's far better than anything labelled as comedy in the last 5 years. One of the best things that will come up your garden path. Enjoy.
on 9 April 2016
I am a massive fan of AYBS and I previously owned all the single DVD's of this series but decided to buy this boxset to save space on my DVD unit. This classic series has been ruined by the editing down of some of the episodes. If you are an avid fan of AYBS you may notice this also. Many references to certain cultures, religions and race have been cut out on this boxset to be 'politically correct' as to not offend some people but it's ok to have comments made to a gay character on the show? A few comments made by Mr Grainger to a rude German customer in German Week have been edited out, for example along with a Jewish comment made by Mr Lucas in Forward Mr Grainger. This spoils a great, funny show!
on 11 August 2013
I remember watching this series as a teenager and loving it. My teenaged son has
now discovered it and absolutely loves it. It is delightful to hear his
laughter as he watches each episode and to be able to revisit some enjoyable
times from my childhood with him.
on 27 April 2013
This series is a British comedy classic, with star performances from Mollie Sugden, (who plays Mrs. Slocombe) and John Inman, (who plays "I'm free!" Mr. Humpfries).

The plots were whacky and wild, but had humour. Recommended.
on 21 October 2013
Made us laugh which is more than can be said for most modern day efforts.A real treat to watch this show once more.
on 9 March 2011
Got this yesterday from Amazon UK.

Comes in a pink box with 12 disks; 11 are the series 1-10 (series 3 consists of 2 disks), including the Christmas specials, and then the extras disk. Packaged vary nicely.

I absolutely love this series and have always enjoyed watching it on TV, and when I saw this box set I just had to get it. The episodes were always vary funny and entertaining with some great characters (my favourite being Capt. Peacock). It was full of innuendo and smutty jokes but never anything distasteful, and no swearing!

The box set has English subtitles for the hard of hearing and the episodes/disks are exactly the same as the individual disks you can buy albeit with a different colour/picture on the disks themselves.

It is a great shame that all but one of the main actors in AYBS are now dead (Nicholas Smith who played Mr Rumbold being the exception at time of writing this).

I would have loved to work in the Menswear Dept of Grace Brother's Department Store with all those characters.

The extras are: "Funny Turns" with John Inman; "Life On The Box" with Wendy Richard (who later went on to be the sour-faced Pauline Fowler from Eastenders); The Best of Are You Being Served?; Celebrating Mollie Sugden; and the appearance of the AYBS team on BBC One's Breakfast Time in 1983.

This is a fantastic boxset that comprises all the AYBS episodes ever made, and is a must for any fan of the series. I bet they couldn't get away with making this sort of show these days!
on 24 November 2011
Are You Being Served is a programme that i personally will never grow tired of watching, and was half pleased and half annoyed that this was being released, for a "New" Are You Being Served fan this boxset is your best buy, it has all episodes, plus 4 Christmas specials.The only reason i have personally given it 4 stars is because this was first released back in 2005, and then a boxset 1-5 was released, releases were slow but eventually we got to 10, then this popped out, which had "Bonus content" which the individual sets didn't, which i think for many Are You Being Served fans like myself you felt somewhat cheated, however that said it has brilliant bonus content, with features on John Inman, Wendy Richard and Mollie Sugden, a spoof between Mr Humphries and his mother looking back over the years at Grace brothers, The Best Of and a behind the scenes with Breakfast Time.

Also there has been a bit of confusion with subtitles, i can confirm that all 12 discs have the "Subtitles On/Off" on the DVD start up Menu,this includes the bonus content disc.
on 3 March 2013
I am a fan from way back so this was my present for lots of happy half hours when the TV is not to my taste
I met John Inman many years ago in Southport,
and he was a charming as expected
a lovely show full of clever characters and harmless innuendo