5.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray review
I dont see many blu-ray reviews here so I thought I would address that imbalance.

Published on 26 Feb 2011 by G. O'Neill

3.0 out of 5 stars view from a distance?
I enjoyed this film, I enjoyed the moral ambiguity at the centre of the character V, and I enjoyed the absurdity that many here found irritating. Cliched imagery works because they are cliches - obvious symbols known and (too readily?) understood - but the film works only at a distance: it probably would not merit re-watching, and, as many reviewers have shown here, it...
Published on 21 Jun 2008 by Dr. Vernon M. Hewitt

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray review, 26 Feb 2011
G. O'Neill (Qatar) - See all my reviews

This is top notch entertainment. The film can be interpreted on many levels. It can be seen as an action flick with many amazing set pieces with gunfire, explosions and gory violence. Or it can be seen as a deep political statement with strong relevance to the uprisings happening currently in the middle east and north africa. The recurring message of mass popular acceptance of a dictatorship which is corrupt, violently reactive to any form of criticism and outrageously favouring cronies could have been referring to any one of the regimes now undergoing revolution. In Tunisia a man set fire to himself and provided the stimulus for people to wake up and use their collective power to overthrow their totalitarian government. In Egypt a Facebook page was the initial stimulus. V only exists because the fascist state experimented on him and his wish is to be the spark for a British revolution. It is a complex story of government manipulation of media, the deliberate creation of an atmosphere of fear where the populous feel a need to depend on the government. The parts are played beautifully. The lengthy verbose utterings of V are given life by Hugo Weaving who also plays small side roles. Natalie Portman doesnt quite pull of an English accent but still gives a deeply moving performance which completely drew me in and made me believe. John Hurt plays a psycho-nutter-fascist prime minister very well too.

Is it worth buying the blu-ray if you already have the dvd? Well, hmmmmmmm, sort of. I didnt see much improvement in the picture quality. But the soundtrack is a completely different story. If you select the DTS-HD soundtrack, which is not the default, your expensive sound system will treat your ears to a feast of amazing zinging explosions and gun battles. The music, particularly at the climax of the film, will just about lift you out of your chair. For me, it was worth the money just to repeatedly sit through the 1812 overture with synchronised sub-woofer assisted explosions coming from all corners of my tv room.

5.0 out of 5 stars V for Vendetta, 20 Jan 2007
Ms. Km Scott-jupp (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V for Vendetta [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Having just read some other views I'm greatly suprised that anyone should dislike this film but I think as someone has already commented perhaps it is a film that you'll love or hate. I've certainly never seen so many reviews about one film on Amazon before, and whether peoples responses are positive or negative it's certainly got them all talking. I've not read the original comic book, and have not read 1984 since school which it was partly based on. However I still found this a very original, incredibly thought provoking film which blew me away. Hugo Weavings acting was absolutely spectacular and although I thought him a good actor I never realised he was a great actor. To make you feel for a character who's facial expressions you can't even see as they wear a mask all the time is no mean feat. I also thought despite some other peoples reviews here that Natalie Portmans performance was definitely her best yet and I thought her rather good and that she has potential to be a vey good actress.

My partner and I could not miss a second of it and had to pause it for toilet breaks and couldn't sleep for hours afterwards talking about it. After I'd watched it I had a similar feeling to when I'd first finished reading Lord of the Rings that I had just experienced something brilliant, the like of which one only experiences a few times in your life.

If you love brainless, mindless action films then this film probably isn't for you, if you want a film which will sit you down and make you think about your life and the society you live in, then this film is for you. My only other thought is that when I was young I might not have appreciated this film so much, but older and much wiser about the world and free of the rose tinted views of my youth, I think made me appreciate it much much more. Well done all involved in producing it. I feel compelled to got out and do my part to help improve the state of the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 31 May 2007
This review is from: V for Vendetta [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
This film stands as strong as the Matrix did in its day. Being loyal to the Matrix film, V for Vendetta is also decieving until the end. At first the film seems to be a comic book action film (similar to the Matrix) but by the end it asks some challenging questions about the nature of our reality and I believe there are many truths in this film. Notice the government logo is a doublecross and this is not by accident. The film asks the question, 'who are the real terrorists?' - and I think it is a viable question since this film is based in a fascist England with the gagging of the media to fabricate the news and the imprisonment of those who do not fit within the regime.

Evey's parents were imprisoned and died after becoming political activists when their son died of a virus outbreak and Evey realises that there is something wrong with their country.

In many ways this film paralells real life, many have said that the media is controlled, the government using covert means to control its people.

I completely fell in love with 'V' played by Hugo Weaving, and I must say is acting in this is flawless. I found that I could not entirely connect Hugo with 'V' as his accent was wonderful and his portrayal of 'V's character was a lot different to characters I have seen Hugo play before. 'V' is such a lovable character, there is one scene where Evey walks in on him play acting and he is embarrassed and doesn't know what to do with himself which I found hilarious.

But as with many characters 'V' has a tragic background which has sort him to exact revenge on others. The film doesn't patronises the audience by showing the wrongs of violence, instead it gives us 'V's point of view that sometimes violence is needed, and although we find ourselves grappling with the argument that it is not, I believe that the audience knows that the violence is wrong, that 'V' is wrong, but you can't help being sympathetic to his cause as he has also been wronged.

All in all I found it an enjoyable film, slightly slow at first, speeding up towards a crescendo ending. If you love films which challenge our view of reality then this is a film for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Governments should be afraid of their people, 4 Nov 2007
Wow, this movie was such a wake-up call ! It really goes to the core of the issue : we, the mass, the populace so much despised by our elite, have been hypnotised to think that WE needed THEM to carry on with our lives, that we need THEM to show US the Way. The truth is the opposite, counter-echoing Chancellor Sutler's claim : "THEY need US". The Elite need the People to be maintained in power, that's why they feed us lies and brainwash us, dumbing us down, making us living in fear so that we won't revolt against their domination.
This wonderful movie shows us what would happened if people suddenly woke up and realised they've been deceived and manipulatesd by their governement. The deviant elite would be done, over, good bye, sayonara.
In this movie, it's V who plays the role of the wake up call. In real life, here and in a not so distant future, who will take on that role ? Will there be another V, hundreds, thousands of V's all shouting in One Voice : ENOUGH !" ? Or will we need something more powerful, like a kick in the butt in the form of Nuclear war and World fascism ?
We still have the choice, not for long but we still have it.
It's up to all of us.
Remember, remember, the 5th of November...

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative & Inspiring, 3 Nov 2007
This is truly a fantastic film from the Wachowski brothers, and everybody must get a copy and watch it. It conveys a stark and terrifying message that is eerily similar to the changes in society and government we're seeing today; though that is one of the main themes: are we truly seeing them, and if so, what are we going to do about it? As the saying goes, all that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. As another reviewer said, we need to all find that part of ourselves that is exemplified by "V" and to stop living in a dream world of denial and complacency because these are the very attributes that have been the fertiliser - as well as the innocent lives lost - for totalitarian repressive regimes.

Informative and inspiring, and should go hand in hand with psychological literature by authors such as Martha Stout, Robert Hare, Andrew Lobaczewski, etc. It can only stop when we get to the very root of the issue, and that is pathological deviance in all its dark hydra-like forms.

5.0 out of 5 stars A timely message about totalitarian government, 5 Nov 2007
Simon Davies - See all my reviews
This review is from: V for Vendetta [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
V for Vendetta needs to be seen at least three times as the depth of plot and subtle details are too much to grasp first time through - and it shows in the reviews.

Many other reviews give excellent synopses of the film so I'll not repeat them but look at the films core message - People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people. A message for our times!

The government is totalitarian, has total control of the media (and therefore people's minds), has a system of arbitrary arrest and detention (rendition), almost total surveillance of the populace (total information awareness), used the deliberate spread of a virus and the resulting mass death to gain power and wealth (eerie parallels to WMD, avian/human flu, US and UK corporations). If these parallels to our present don't get up and slap you in the face then you clearly haven't been paying attention.

This is where the heart of the films message lies. However in order to deal with totalitarian government people have to be informed and to care enough to do something about it. But to do this they have to overcome their fear. The need to overcome fear is portrayed as V torturing and imprisoning Evey so as to break her of her attachment to the illusions of everyday life. Only through caring enough about the future of us ALL over and above our individual safety can we lose our fear.

When we are without fear we can achieve great things. The ability to affect change is within us all, we don't need an external V to show us the way when we have our own internal V.

A great, thought provoking movie for our times. If you care about real freedom I highly recommend this film.

4.0 out of 5 stars V for vendetta - The film, 2 Mar 2007
David Lazzari - See all my reviews
This review is from: V for Vendetta [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Another film from the Wachowski brothers - the guys who did The Matrix and directed by James McTeigue also from the Matrix crew. The story is about alienation, loneliness, intolerance, repression but ultimately hope and is set in an England of sometime in the near future.
Following a nuclear war between the USA and continental Europe, the USA is paralysed by it's almost total destruction. England, which had escaped the nuclear confrontation is suffering from the after effects of mass outbreaks of deadly virus. It now has a right wing fascist government lead by a nasty Chancellor played very nastily by John Hurt. He's surrounded by the usual elements of a dictatorship: government controlled media, thugs with the lovely name of Fingermen who are lead by Tim Piggott-Smith who gives a great performance as a horribly corrupt Creedy. Natalie Portman (Evey) becomes accidentally embroiled in the acts of terrorist or freedom fighter (depends on your view as always) enigmatically named 'V'. Despite wearing a Guy Fawkes mask for the whole of the film Hugo Weaving (another former Matrix actor) manages to portray emotion only by voice and body. As the film progresses we learn that V is a former prisoner of the régime and has been used for medical experimentation which has altered him mentally and physically. Mentally he's full of revenge, physically he's more than normal with wonderfully enhanced reflexes and strength. Stephen Rea plays the good copper who while investigating V's merry spree of revenge killings also uncovers why V is so enraged and the real secret of the corrupt régime.
Like the Matrix films there's a hefty lump of fancy karate tricks, knife throwing, bangs and flashes but unlike the second and third episodes of the Matrix the story flows nicely without the need to strain the brain.
Not totally convinced by Natalie Portman but it's a small irritation overall. Hugo Weaving is excellent and Stephen Fry puts in a very good performance although in a fairly minor role. All in all an entertaining flick - 7.5 out of 10. Enjoy the film but get the book as it's much better, 'longer', a more sustained and interesting plot and better characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 5 Sep 2006
Marcus G (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V for Vendetta [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I wanted to hate this movie because I love the graphic novel and I knew Holliwood would destroy the film so I watched with the intention to pick flaws for the first 30 minutes... After about 45 minutes I started to actually enjoy the movie - and it's pretty faithful. The film also takes some risks - the book (if you haven't read it) has a seriously dodgy plot device half way through which Alan Moore carries off ... just. I couldn't see the film doing the same but well ... you'll see.

My only gripe is the intro bit about Guy Fawkes which manages to be both historically inaccurate and patronising at the same time - maybe American's don't know who Guy was but if so either carry on regardless or at least be reasonably accurate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Film Adaption Of The Graphic Novel, 14 Aug 2014

Stephen Rea as Eric Finch
John Hurt as High Chancellor Adam Sutler
Stephen Fry as Gordon Deitrich

Trivia.
1)Certain scenes within the film feature James Purefoy as V, who was originally cast in the role but replaced by Hugo Weaving four weeks into filming, Weaving's voice was simply dubbed over Purefoy's performance.
2)Hugo Weaving based his accent on Harold Wilson, British Prime Minister from 1964-1970 & 1974-1976.
3)Natalie Portman was chosen for the role of Evey over Scarlett Johansson & Bryce Dallas Howard.
4)Keira Knightley auditioned for the role of Evey Hammond.
5)On a clock that has an hour hand & a minute hand, the time 11:05 makes a V. These two numbers, 11 & 5, where 11 is November, & 5 is the day of November, spell out: the fifth of November. "Remember, remember the 5th of November."

What's The Story.
Set against the futuristic landscape of totalitarian Britain, V For Vendetta tells the story of a mild-mannered young woman named Evey who is rescued from a life & death situation by a masked vigilante known only as the enigmatic "V" a charismatic freedom fighter who is ferociously skilled in the art of combat & deception.

V plan's to ignite a revolution when he detonates two London landmarks & takes over the government-controlled airwaves, urging his fellow citizens to rise up against tyranny & oppression, As Evey uncovers the truth about V's mysterious background, she also discovers the truth about herself as she emerges as his unlikely ally in the culmination of his plot to bring freedom & justice back to a society fraught with cruelty & corruption.

Timelord Thoughts.
The Wachowski brothers & action producer Joel Silver have once again teamed up to bring Alan Moores graphic novel to life in a thrilling dramatically intense action thriller.

Faithfully adapted from Alan Moore's garaphic novel sees V, a reluctant freedom fighter , a rebellion who fights for freedom against the government in London in an alternative time line which is set against the futuristic landscape of totalitarian Britain.

V saves the life of a young woman named Evey who eventually becomes his ally as V urges his fellow citizens to rise up to fight tyranny & oppression & make a stand against the fascist government while Evey uncovers the truth about V's mysterious background.

V For Vendetta,is a faithful adaption from Alan Moore's graphic novel that balances exciting action & drama & directed is superbly by James McTeigue who is clearly a talented director & paces the action & drama very well while the subject matter is quite controversial but that is the movie's point to make one think about how well is the government handling the situation of terrorism? & are the government slowly depriving the world's population of there free will as the character of "V" serves as an anti-hero on a quest of freedom against the anti-establishment yet he doesn't glorify terrorism.

The film is thought provoking concerning V's actions is he right or wrong, is he a freedom fighter or terrorist as the character plants a seed of doubt with a notion that alerts us to take action if our own Government ever try to control or inflict fear into our lives, this movie allows the viewer to draw there own conclusions inciting viewers in choosing if the message of the movie is right or wrong which is primarily what this movie is all about, "choice".

The movies set designs are dark, moody & atmospheric while the action is striking & hard hitting with excellent standout performances by the cast.

Actor Hugo Weaving is perfectly cast as "V" who is hidden behind the creepy mask & proves his versatility as an actor as "V" who provokes thoughtful questions about a dystopian future of Great Britain & wrings every emotion out from his character which is a difficult achievement considering all we see on screen is the Weavings character wearing only a Guy Fawkes mask

Natalie Portman is superb in her role as the orphan Evey giving a engaging & believable performance plus a convincing British accent & is the heroine of the film, The scenes between Evey and V are touching & beautifully handled.

The excellent John Hurt is characteristically impressive as the enigmatic & sinister High Chancellor Adam Sutler giving a gritty performance & adds great menace while Stephen Rea gives a wonderful supporting turn as the police inspector charged with finding V - before it's too late.

Overall, V For Vendetta is a terrific action packed spellbinding adventure & delivers a thought provoking movie that gets it points across through it's strong script, with impressive directing by James McTeigue & excellent performances by the cast, V For Vendetta honours the graphic novels source material & gives audiences a controversial breathtaking action/thriller that's highly recommended & well worth watching.

Timelord Rating.
8/10

5.0 out of 5 stars refreshingly non-Hollywood, 3 Nov 2007
A great film, set in a macabre but scarily familiar England. It is bit of a shame that the two main stars aren't English but who can complain when it's Hugo Weaving and Natalie Portman. I was so disappointed with the very short run in the cinemas, which ended before I had a chance to go out and see it. After their phenomenal previous success with the Matrix, I can't believe that this Wachowski brothers film was pulled so quickly!

If you thought the matrix was dark, this is possibly more so (due to its less sci-fi, more 'near-future real life' setting), and stylishly so - what else would you expect given the source material and the directors. It is a real-life study in a far more overt and less mystical manner than the matrix, and it assaults your belief in 'how things really are' in a more direct, less roundabout way.

It centers around the character 'V' who eludes the grasp of the fascist society he lives in, and attempts to wake others up to the 'unreal' reality they inhabit. This character is a bit of an enigma, and has several levels to peel away - after getting beneath the superficial level of machismo, violence and mystique, there is a whole lot more to be discovered, by the viewer and simultaneously by Natalie Portman's character, and it is in this that the magic of this film lies.

What makes this film so disturbing is that although it is presented as an over the top oppressive fascist state, there are some jarringly familiar threads running through it - just listen to the scaremongering rhetoric that John Hurt spouts as the crazed politician, and then compare with the current bunch in real life Westminster. An intelligent and thought provokingful social commentary, which illustrates the possibilities of the future if we do not pay attention, and intricately ties this in to a complex personal viewpoint of someone who is 'paying attention'.

V for Vendetta [HD DVD] [2006] [US Import]
V for Vendetta [HD DVD] [2006] [US Import] by James McTeigue (HD DVD - 2006)