4.0 out of 5 stars Am I the Only One
I never read the book as I've tried reading Dan Brown before and find his writing somewhat laboured.

The film however (when not compared to the book) was simply a good mystery yarn.

The special effects were nicely done and I have to say that I loved the incidental music by Hans Zimmer.

Maybe not for the purist historian but for a couple of...
Published on 10 Jan 2008 by D. Paterson

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't make a treasure hunt out of a mostly debated topic.
Plot:

A murder inside the Louvre and clues in Da Vinci paintings lead to the discovery of a religious mystery protected by a secret society for two thousand years -- which could shake the foundations of Christianity

My Review:

Published on 13 Oct 2007 by I. Sidhu

4.0 out of 5 stars Am I the Only One, 10 Jan 2008
D. Paterson "Davyp" (Scotland) - See all my reviews

Maybe not for the purist historian but for a couple of hours of escapism, I thought it was great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dont Let Others Put You Off - Its Still A Good Movie!, 30 May 2007
Having never read the book I cannot draw a comparison to it, however I did enjoy this movie. I thought it was visually stunning at times and a solid performance from most if not all actors involved.

The action was fast paced and you tell it was building to something but not quite sure what until all was revealed! Exactly how a movie of this type should be presented!

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't make a treasure hunt out of a mostly debated topic., 13 Oct 2007
I. Sidhu "Cylon God." (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Plot:

My Review:

This film does have some level of drama, mystery and all the genres connected to that of a thriller. Yet having read the book twice and loving it as many times I have read it, this film feels like a bit of a rushed, one drafted film.

As I started reading the book when it was first Published , I enjoyed it tremendously. When reading it, I felt that all the concepts of the book and the well paced story were very well written and cleverly done. Yet in this film it was rushed and missed key points coherent to the story and I personally believe that these were necessary, but that happens when a film cannot be so long. The First 20-30mins was rushed and far to concerned with getting the chase and investigation underway. Yet as stated by Ian McKellen in Johnathan Ross' program Ron Howard had made it a 'Action Thriller'.

There are many good performances provided by Jean Reno, Audrey Tautou & Ian McKellen especially that of Paul Bettanny as Silas. The part of Robert Langdon played by Tom Hanks, was much more extrovert throughout the book, yet in the film; his part, until the second halve and end of the film, his character was 'kept back' in the film.

The flashbacks in the film were vague and yet I still believe very much essential to that of the characters, which made the character more developed and less hollow. The flashbacks of Silas were very good, however they were rushed and a slightly empty and not giving the whole picture of how the character came to be.

The History of Christ and Foundations of Christianity in the film that related to the story was rushed or skipped out of the way and I believed was to get to the point quickly, yet most audiences prefer anticipation and coming to their own conclusion

I had hoped this film would be one of the years best films and as great summer blockbuster. However it does not seem that way. From a readers view and watching the film I do believe many feel as I do about this film. As for those who have not read the book, I hope they enjoyed the film.

Verdict:

A great Cast of very experienced actors, yet could have been given larger roles. I enjoyed seeing the film and remembering my thoughts and feelings I had when reading the book. A good film for summer for those who love a murder mystery and conspiracy thriller. 6/10.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong conceptual mystery that leaves you to your own opinion, 16 Jun 2009
After a suspicious murder at the Louvre, Symbologist Robert Langdon (Hanks) and detective Sophie Neveu (Tautou) are on the run whilst they attempt to uncover the mystery of the Holy Grail.

Dan Brown's novel The Da Vinci Code broke barriers with audiences all over the world for its unashamed approach to religion and the concept of what the Holy Grail truly is amongst the ongoing battle between Opus Dei, The Church and the Priory of Sion. Brown certainly has sparked hefty debates but a film adaptation was always inevitable and when released, it caused as much as a storm as when the book was released.

The storm that came with this in 2006 was an ashamed feeling of disapprove for the way director Ron Howard and screenwriter Akiva Goldsman approached this astonishing story. This was banned in numerous countries for its strong opinions and depictions of Jesus Christ and Mary Magdalene but the uproar came for the film itself. Badly made, unfaithful to source material and atrociously acted and directed, Da Vinci fell into the category of the world's worst blockbusters. Personally, amongst all the negativity, I rather enjoyed watching two fine actors looking to solve a delicate mystery.

There is no doubt that whatever your beliefs, the book is well scripted with a sharp and intriguing motive to keep you hooked right till the shocking finale. Even the long winded debates were interesting as we learnt of different groups in Christianity and the film took all the heavy ideologies onboard in an attempt to portray the book as was written.

At two and a half hours, this film somehow leaves out a vast majority of debated conceptual significance but the importance is all relative come the end. For someone who enjoyed the book, I find the simple explanation as to why this movie "failed" is that it leaves out this hefty amount of debate.

Tom Hanks was criticized for his blunt performance and sadly, the hype was right. There was no spring as there was in Big, no drama like in Cast Away. From the book, it seemed Langdon was a more spirited soul that exuded adventure but there is something lacking here. Tautou is buoyant and necessarily silent in all the right places gives a good pairing along the way with Hanks; one of the final scenes exceptionally sentimental.

Ron Howard, who was also slated, delivers an unsurprising style of mystery. His continuous use of close shots for unsurprised expressions do nothing to help the feel of the film, which means the reliance is all on the plot, which is enjoyable and still exciting.

Yes, it isn't the book but as with the Harry Potter series for example, we all came to our own conclusions and drew up our own imagination so it was never going to be perfect. Da Vinci Code is a good film with a strong conceptual plot that generates debate and excitement.

8/10

4.0 out of 5 stars 11235813, 3 Dec 2006
J. A. Samson (Sussex) - See all my reviews
Having read the other reviews on here I was rather sceptical about watching this. Having read the book and thoroughly enjoying that I was not expecting the film to be up too much. However I was engrossed in the film from start to finish I found the film to be a good account of what I had read and on several occasions it felt like déjà vu as the film re played out what i had imagined from reading the book and that i think makes this a special film. The film left me feeling rather "spooked" which the book did and that is also a good thing as it is a film that encourages the viewer to think unlike a lot of films out there. I enjoyed this and would thoroughly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why is everyone so determined to dislike this just to go against the hype?, 26 April 2009
L. Freeman "Binto" (Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
I am writing this having ONLY seen the film- I have not read the book. It was an intruiging and interesting film. I really enjoyed it. It was complicated at times, grasping who everyone was and what their stance was.

I can appreciate that if you have previously read the book there will be alot that had to be skimmed over i guess! But lets not all get up on our cultural high horses, its a really good watch.

3.0 out of 5 stars A safety by numbers film, 13 July 2006
Like most of the world, I read the book first, And found it highly enjoyable. It isn't Dan Browns best book, but it was a good read none-the-less. The book doesn't exactly transfer to the big screen like i'd have hoped it would, and found that as the book was quite descriptive, the film, as a result slowed down a bit. The first hour is fairly hard going, but it does pick up a little as Robert and Audrey fly in to the UK.

The casting i feel was a bit iffy. Hanks should never have been cast as Langdon, and i don't think he quite pulled it off. Reno was the only good casting, in that I saw him as the Fache character staight away when i read the book. Ian McKellan was ok as teabing as was bettany as silas. Both, however i felt weren't the ideal people to play the characters..

Overall, the film was ok, but it's certainly no where near as good as the book. I just hope they do a better job of Angels and Demons.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just a franchise?, 14 July 2006
Minks (London, UK.) - See all my reviews
Having read the book a couple of years ago, I had to read it again before seeing the film. This may or may not have been a good idea! If I hadn't, I think I would have found the film more enjoyable for what it is, but an average film all the same.

It does follow the narrative, but the things I found interesting about the book were omitted from the film. Pivotal moments were laughable in the film and I was sourly disappointed to find the Sophie Neveu character to be reduced to French eye candy when in the book she was sassy and intelligent (she's supposed to be a cryptologist for crying out loud!), as well as attractive. I believe that this changed the dynamics between her and Robert Langdon in film and not in a good way. It quite possibly ruined it. A lot of the book revolved around the chemistry between the two and how they bounced ideas off each other but this wasn't reflected in the film.

I think the script was always going to be a problem to transfer to film, but the performances didn't help. The only characters I felt were believeable were Teabing (even with the unbelievable name)and Aringarosa, however all the characters were true to stereotypical type which was a disappointment. Yes, I know Tom Hanks was in the film.

I did find this watchable but that does not a good film make.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why all the hype?, 18 Oct 2006
Douglas Wright "killieexile" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I came to this movie as someone who has NOT read the book first, and i was less than impressed. There was almost no character development, the script seemed rushed and simplistic. What potentially could have been one of the best movie ideas for years failed almost completely! The object of the movie seemed to be to give a whistlestop tour of the scenes from the book.

Maybe its scope was too big, and a trilogy would have been better, allowing more time to introduce characters and background information. I daresay the movie would be better if i had read the book, but that shouldnt have to be the case.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only two mistakes Hanks and Hanks' hair, 8 Jan 2007
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Jacques Saunière (Jean-Pierre Marielle) is killed for a secret. He leaves a mysterious message for Dr. Robert Langdon (Tom Hanks). Langdon and Saunière's granddaughter Sophie (Audrey Tautou) become partners in a hunt for the Holy Grail. But time is running out for them as they are being hunted down by Captain Bezu Fache (Jean Reno) for murder.

This film relies heavily on the viewer reading the book before viewing. Some times they go out of their way to follow the story. At other times we get a Ron Howard interpretation of Dr. Robert Langdon and his amazingly distracting hair style. Other than that it is better than not having a movie at all. And as with all formula stories it is always the last person you would suspect.

The extra features can get a little boring as they keep repeating the same thing overt and over in sound-byte form. They keep talking about people that never made it on the film but never say who these people are or show their tryouts.

Da Vinci Code [UMD Mini for PSP] [2006] [US Import]
Da Vinci Code [UMD Mini for PSP] [2006] [US Import] by Ron Howard (UMD Mini for PSP - 2006)
Out of stock