5.0 out of 5 stars Superb
The previous reviews state how good a lens this is which it really is!

I also choose this lens over the F2.8 as it is nearly half the weight and wanted to take it travelling and minimise weight in my hand luggage.

I now leave this lens on by default.

Love it, no regrets
Published on 2 Nov 2010 by L. Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars Got a dud... but here's the details
My copy had a slight focusing issue, but hey... with so many great reviews/copies for this lens there's bound to be one that slips through the cracks.

Amazon as usual were fantastic with support and they generated a return coupon for me immediately. I sent it back and was getting a replacement when I changed my mind and now went in for the slightly more...
Published on 7 Mar 2012 by R. Stonn

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 2 Nov 2010
L. Turner - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L IS USM Lens (Accessory)
The previous reviews state how good a lens this is which it really is!

I now leave this lens on by default.

Love it, no regrets

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lens, 4 Jun 2009
This review is from: Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L IS USM Lens (Accessory)
This is my first L lens and it has exceeded my expectations. Before buying it, I worried for a long time that the difference in image quality wouldn't be obvious to me, or that it wouldn't be worth the money even if it was obvious. Having bought it, I have no regrets -- the quality is breathtaking (and I am using it on a humble 450D).

The results are superb. In the shop I compared it with the Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS, and the difference in image quality was overwhelming even when viewed on the modest LCD of a 450D.

It is easy to worry obsessively about sharpness -- no need with this lens, it is wonderfully sharp. Where it really shines, however, is in the colours it reproduces. Saturation is really good. If you, like me, have never tried a professional lens before, you really will notice the difference. The IS is very useful -- it makes low-light shots at 1/15 easily possible, provided your subject is still. It certainly gives you at least a 3-stop shutter-speed advantage if you have reasonably steady hands. I have not noticed any chromatic aberration, even in circumstances that would normally be very harsh for a lens.

I don't really have any criticisms. It is a beautiful lens and it helps to produce beautiful photos. It isn't noticeably heavy (at least to me) -- the f/2.8 versions are a lot more bulky. Of course you sacrifice something by choosing f/4 over f/2.8, but the bokeh on this lens is lovely nonetheless. It is a bit long on a crop-sensor body to be a general walkaround lens, but it really shines for portraits (head-shots particularly).

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. In my opinion, it is easily worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 20 Mar 2009
This review is from: Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L IS USM Lens (Accessory)
I bought this after reading reviews and after having discovered quite how good L series lenses could be. I kind of gulped at the price and trusted what people consistently say about it (just google reviews). The definition it delivers is just amazing (hairs on the legs of a bumble bee from 15 feet, see yourself reflected in the eye of your dog when you view an image at 100% on the computer: that kind of thing), and the contrast and colour is delicious--colour perhaps just a tad less saturated than some other Canon lenses, but entirely natural. It focuses more or less instantly in almost all light conditions including situations where most other lenses would hunt. The round diaphragm gives really good background blur, and the image stabilization does (almost unbelievably) do exactly what Canon claims it does. I can get usable images at about 1/20th second at full zoom. Not all the time, but most of the time. And at 1/60th it's close to 100% of the time. The IS does make a noticeable whirr, but I doubt it would put off any but the shyest subjects. There is also a faint rattle if you shake the lens, but this is not a problem. All the L series lenses are heavier than the cheaper Canon lenses, and feel a little lens heavy with on small light bodies like the EOS 450D; but this lens is remarkably light considering its quality and range, and I could happily carry it around for a day. It's so sharp that even people who are quite fussy about quality should be able to crop images from it on the computer and get an effective zoom range significantly above 200mm (provided you're not printing out in A3). I think it's genuinely amazing. You pay a lot for the IS. If you can afford it, it's really worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hurry up and buy! It's a boon!, 28 Oct 2010
Mr. J. DEBACKER (UK) - See all my reviews
Hurry up and buy!

This lens is a varitable boon! Stop thinking about it, as this is the last review you need if you've read loads already trying to make your mind up. Here's a useful tip - there aren't many reviews for this lens on UK amazon but on .com there are TONS of extremely positive reviews.

I seldom bother writing reviews because I'm lazy, but I'm so impressed by this lens that I felt that I would be punished in Hades for eternity or something if I didn't help the evangelism about this brutally good piece of kit.

In terms of my suitability to give reasoned comments on it, I haven't been into photography for long - a mere 3 years or so compared to some people that have reviewed this model after a career's worth of knowledge and practise. It doesn't compare, yet I still know enough to know that this lens is so fantastic that I suspect it has actually been designed by a collaboration between Nasa, the people at Tefal, and captured alien technology from Area 51 in the Nevada Desert. Honestly, it's shirt burstingly good.

In the past 3 years I've owned a 300D, 450D, and most recently a 500D (possibly a 400 as well but I think I imagined that). I've had quite a few lenses in that time to help get the feel of what's what and to help me learn the pros & cons of various kit, along with what works for me personally. I mostly do landscape pics, and casual shots of my kids etc. In the past I've owned (amongst others) an EFS 55-250 IS, an EF 28-135 IS USM, an F1.8 50mm, a 500mm mirror lens, a nasty quality 70-300mm USM lens, the kit lens, a lovely 24-105 L series F4 lens, and most recently my superb walkabout workhorse, the EFS 17-55 IS USM F2.8 lens.

I recently upgraded to a 7D which meant flogging a load of my gear to raise the money so I only kept the 17-55mm IS lens since it's a brilliant all rounder. This left a bit of a hole in terms of the focal range I could now shoot so after raising a bit of money I began looking into a telephoto to complement that.

I began looking at the F4 non IS 70-200mm L series, since I had about 400 to spend and could get a used one for that, albeit being slightly worried about the F4 aperture now I've been spoiled by a constant F2.8 on my other lens.
Then I was lucky and 'er indoors bestowed me with some extra money that I wasn't expecting, meaning I could afford the IS version after all.

This presented a difficult proposition. For around 800 budget should I get the F4 IS version, or the F2.8 non IS one? This question has been agonised over since before the dawn of time itself, indeed there are said to be cave paintings of dinosaurs having philosophical disputes over which one was better, and I could see the pros & cons of both options in many such debates online (albeit not by dinosaurs).

Basically as everyone else says, the 2.8 is better if you intend to do stuff frequently that's moving in poor light. For everything else, get the F4, and certainly the IS one if you can afford to get it. The extra cost over the non IS version is disturbing and wrong, but it really does work better than any human technology has any right to. I had IS on other lenses but the pale into insignificance and gimmickry when compared to the power of the IS on this beauty.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have loved F2.8 but there were so many reasons to go for the F4 it ended up being a really easy choice in the end. One that I'm extremely happy with.

F2.8:
Better Bokeh
Extra stop to enable capture of faster subjects, or of moving subjects in low light.
Great if you want to show off and get people to look at you and say "Wow, they must be good". I'm not for a moment suggesting that's why most people buy it although I'm sure one or two will, and like it or not it will draw attention to you.

F4 IS:
You can get a brand new one for the cost of a used 2.8 Non IS - full warrantee for peace of mind. Mine cost me a smidge less than 800.
Weather sealing. The IS ones have it and the Non IS ones don't (or do but it's not as good - I can't recall the specifics). I don't use my gear in the rain really, but dust is a worry at times. Not with this.
Weight - it's about half the weight of the 2.8. The F4 is skinnier than my 17-55 and not that much longer. I was surprised it wasn't bigger. It's heavy enough to feel very reassuringly solid, like it could be repeatedly used as a 'blunt instrument' and still work reliably, but not heavy enough to be something you resent lugging around.
Cheaper filters (being 67mm instead of 77mm).
Size. It fits in my tamrac backpack easily. Pretty certain the 2.8 wouldn't, meaning I then have to spend another 100 or so on a bigger bag - more bulk etc.
It's still that telltale whiteish colour but is WAY less conspicuous and will draw less attention to you than the 2.8.
SHARPNESS! I have never owned a lens remotely as sharp as this. It is very noticeably sharper than the 24-105 L that I used to own, and also better than the 17-55 IS that I currently have. My pants nearly fell down when I received it and did a couple of idle test shots with it, so amazed was I at the incredible resolution & clarity. It is renowned as being the sharpest of the 70-200 range, and additionally it's often described that at F2.8 on those bigger lenses, they're a bit soft, which to me kind of negates the main benefit of having that extra stop if that is true.

For instance, I took a photo of my daughter where her face took up most of the frame. When I then zoomed in on one of her eyes (after uploading to my laptop) I could see clearly reflected in her pupil (which was a miniscule crop of the full pic) me taking the picture, the sofa I was sitting on, two pictures on the wall behind me and an upright lamp, and the separate colours of the walls & ceiling in my living room. I've never seen anything that's presented this incredible level of detail before, when you consider that the pupil of the eye is a really miniscule proportion of the whole picture in question.

And this was from a handheld shot indoors using the IS function! I'm genuinely so aghast at the pictures this lens can create that I nearly burst into flames, and my hat fell off.

When all is said & done, there's no arguing that if you NEED the 2.8 aperture for the pictures you take then that will of course be the better lens for you, and no amount of praise for the F4 IS will make it suitable if it's not. It would be pointless, futile, and plain stupid to try and claim to the contrary. So if the F2.8 is what you need because of a job necessity, or a repeated specific subject that calls for it then buy that and enjoy it - I'm sure it's fantastic.

If on the other hand you're an amateur like me, that wants a razor sharp telephoto, but is willing to make a slight compromise/tradeoff in flexibility to benefit in numerous other aspects then it would be fiendish and sinful not to buy the F4 IS.

If you're hovering around like so many of us clearly have been before buying, and you can't decide between these two, then it probably means you just want a 70-200 telephoto for 'general' use rather than with very specific needs in mind, and if that's the case I would put my money (well, no, your money actually) on the F4 IS being the right one for you. I'm sure that people who genuinely need that extra aperture size know very well that they do, and don't need to ponder too much about this.

Yes the difference in cost between the IS and non IS versions is pretty despicable, but you also get the weather sealing, and allegedly better optics, and the IS in this case really is some sort of technology brought back from the future, probably taxed off a terminator or something. It's unfeasibly effective and I love it to bits.

Now you see now, when I die, I want this lens to be buried with me so that A) if there is a next world I can use it there, and B) so that no-one else can have it when I've paid for it. It's mine, you hear me!

I saw one person comment in a review that people who speak out against the 2.8 version are bitter that they couldn't afford it. That's just silly. The 2.8 is I'm sure a superb lens if you need the extra stop, but if you don't genuinely 'need' it then the F4 IS has numerous advantages that as I've listed.

Each to their own, and worst case if you find that you do end up getting the one that doesn't suit you , you don't need to fret as long as you haven't paid shedloads above the going rate. The L series lenses hold value well and are always sought after, so it shouldn't be tricky to sell again without a big loss, then you can get a different version.

One last thing, at first I was strongly considering the Sigma equivalent of the 2.8 as it had brutally good reviews and was much cheaper. Ultimately though I read in a few places that it does not autofocus on the 7D, so a huge no-no! Don't do it if you own a 7D!

Sorry for the waffle but hopefully this helps to convince you just how worthy this item is. Hurry up and buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the f/2.8? Quite possibly., 2 Sep 2008
murrolo "Murray W" (Edinburgh & London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L IS USM Lens (Accessory)
I wasn't sure whether to go for this or its considerably chunkier mate, the f/2.8 IS. For my purposes I made the right choice. Here's why.
1. It's lighter - much lighter, and when you're taking it in a lowepro case in a rucksack up a mountain that matters a lot.
2. At f/4 it's not a particularly fast lens for low light - but the 2nd generation IS (with dual mode stabilisation) is worth a good 3-4 stops which offsets that.
3. For those of you geeky enough to look at lens charts, this is actually a crisper, sharper lens than the f/2.8 if you study the graphs. But graphs are graphs and there's no substitute for taking pictures with it, and i've done that with fine results.

So, in summary, I simply cannot believe that the f/2.8 version can possibly be 500 better than this. Very highly recommended indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one is going to spoil you, you won't look at non-L lenses again, 10 Jun 2011
This review is from: Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L IS USM Lens (Accessory)
No buyers remorse with this one. It's always hard to digest the amount you're paying for quality lenses, specially if photography is a hobby but this is one of those situations where the item in question is truly exceptional. Beautiful contrast and colour rendition, and consistently sharp at all focal lengths from centre to corner. Closed to f8, on a tripod, with mirror lock-up, timer or remote and manual focus micro-adjustment, and you're not going to believe the sharpness of this lens. Without these measures it's still ludicrously sharp, it just has to be seen. The IS is relatively silent but works exceptionally well both in horizontal and vertical stabilization mode, and in panning mode. The f4.0 aperture isn't necessarily a problem unless you really need to isolate your subject from the background with the extra plane separation the f2.8 model would provide you, at a cost in money and weight and no extra sharpness - in fact this one seems sharper. The autofocus is fast, 67mm filter diameter so you won't go broke with filters, but don't ruin the lens capabilities with a cheap filter. The weather sealing is a life saver. I'm not necessarily shooting in torrential downpours but more than once i was caught out in the open with inclement weather and it's a relief knowing the lens (and camera) are able to survive the occasional rain. The bokeh is nice, the f2.8 model seems to have a bit of fringing in the highlights, this one doesn't seems to suffer from that problem. The build quality is excellent, it feels solid, and the included hood does its job without becoming loose. The lens focus internally, so the frontal element won't rotate, important if you're using a circular polariser filter, or a graduated neutral density filter.
There however 2 disadvantages, the first one is that being lighter than the f2.8 model it still needs to be well balanced in a tripod to avoid stressing the lens mount and the lens ring is not included. That's an somewhat expensive item, there are cheaper models but after reading some horror stories about the damage done to the lens, i finally got the Canon one. This should've been included, even if it implied an slightly bump in the final price.
The other disadvantage, and an incurable one, is that you're going to be spoilt, you're going to consider L lenses first, and have doubts about non-L lenses from the moment you get this one onwards, you're not going to be able to look at non-L lenses the same way after this.
In short, buy it, it's worth every cent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Lens, 10 Nov 2008
This review is from: Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L IS USM Lens (Accessory)
I got this to add to my 40d as i wanted a lens that would enable me to shoot some sports but for the most part pictures of my kids outside, the lens is great for portraits and just candid funny shots.

It is light enough to carry around and the image stabiliser works fine for action shots as well.
go and buy it, I deliberated because of the cost for a while but it is worth every penny. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best lenses I've ever owned., 20 Dec 2011
This review is from: Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L IS USM Lens (Accessory)
I bought this lens back in 2009 as I previously had the Non-IS lens and loved that, but thought the IS would make it more usable in low light. As you would expect being a Canon L lens the build quality is second to none and the perfomance won't let you down either.

I've also owned a 70-200 F2.8L lens but found I rarely used it, due to the size and weight of it. The F4 lens is a much better size and a lot lighter meaning it is perfect for travelling. After owning the lens for 2 years I'd never consider selling it and have had no issuses with it whatsoever.

A quick search of reviews around the web will tell you just how sharp this lens is at all focal lengths. A lot of people claim this is the sharpest lens Canon has produced and I wouldn't argue. The IS is also very effective and definitely provides the claimed 3 stops of stabilisation.

In conclusion I'd highly recommend this Lens to anyone looking for a telephoto and wanting something a better than the usual lenses available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stunning, 28 Aug 2010
K. Williamson (Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L IS USM Lens (Accessory)
I originally bought the non IS version of this lens which in fairness gives equally stunning results. However, I habitually use AV mode on my 5D MkII and set the aperture to f8 so I had to always keep an eye on the shutter speed to avoid the possibility of camera shake - something that was easy to forget.

With the IS version camera shake is not a problem because this lens can be used at 200mm with shutter speeds down to 1/30th even without a tripod - fantastic.

The other perhaps lesser benefit of this lens over its cheaper sibling is the weather sealing which may or may not be an issue for many but can be a life saver when the weather turns nasty on a days trip out.

Although it is slightly heavier than the non IS version, this lens is no where near as much of a burden on the neck as say the f2.8 version or the 100 - 400 which are both real beasts. OK, the slim profile may not look as "pro" but t least you won't need a neck massage after every time you use it. Some reports say the f4 version is sharper than the f2.8 at large apertures but since I have never owned the larger lens I cannot confirm this.

I am proud to say that my stock of L glass now includes the superb Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM which came with the camera, the excellent Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM which I bought next and now the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM. For type of photography that interests me, that covers all the bases giving me fantastic images in all the situations I am likely to encounter.

Now the only issue is selling the original non IS version of the lens which is currently on Amazon Market Place - any takers?

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't be disappointed., 19 Mar 2010
Yvonne D. (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L IS USM Lens (Accessory)
The EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM is a top quality lens that produces sharp photos, good colour and performs well in situations such as low light. I have tested it with my EOS 50D and achieved great results including very pleasing background blurring. It is lightweight, compact and easy to use. Autofocus is fast and quiet. Image Stabilizer works well and there is an option for panning. The 200mm focal length is good and for anyone taking wildlife shots, an optional extender can be used with this lens. It comes with a lens hood and case. Yes, it is expensive, but worth spending more for one of Canon's top-of-the-range L series lenses.

Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L IS USM Lens