4.0 out of 5 stars Scary!
I enjoyed this movie and have actually watched it a couple of times since owning the DVD. It has a good story line which keeps you engaged and it's definitely scary! Lot's of suspense and parts that will make you jump. I haven't seen all of the original Japanese version but this seems like a good re-make to me.
Published 16 months ago by LJ

3.0 out of 5 stars A well made 'Western' re-make in it's uncut form
Having had my fill of carbon copy Japanese supernatural flicks I never bothered with "Ju-on", so I thought that the American version would be a nice compromise to make for a fresher viewing.
And I have to say I was impressed. Geller does a fine job and the 'foreigner abroad' angle adds a new spin.

Some good 'cheap' jump scares combine with good genuine...
Published on 14 Aug. 2009 by Dave

4.0 out of 5 stars Scary!, 29 Oct. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Hollywood gets it right for a change!, 18 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Grudge - Directors Cut [DVD] (DVD)
my title says it all,not sure what it is,acting,camera work etc but what ever they've done,this version I find scarier than the Japanese version,I think it's down to the editing,as the 'shocks' do come at you unannounced,which as a horror fan is exactly what you want.

5.0 out of 5 stars these films scare me, 11 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Grudge - Directors Cut [DVD] (DVD)
scary creepy and stays with you for hours after watching this not as good as the Japanese one but still good

4.0 out of 5 stars The Grudge Directors Cut Review, 17 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Grudge - Directors Cut [DVD] (DVD)
After watching the original Japanese version, I instantly wanted to see the American remake. I don't get scared by horror films, so i predicted it to be ok. But it was actually ok. There are some cheap jump scares, and some genuinely scary parts. Like the part where the the social worker enters the loft at the begging. I won't spoil it for you. I just wish there were those full on scares that scare you at night.
Overall, I would give it four stars. I might consider the sequel, but then again, most sequels are disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars don't watch alone, 31 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Grudge - Directors Cut [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this with my mate,we spent the whole movie terrified !the ghost was hideous ! what made this so genuinley scary was that you only caught glimpses of the ghost and that terrible noise it made, then when it came down the stairs it made my blood run cold! truly a master piece of horror !

5.0 out of 5 stars Scared..., 20 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Grudge - Directors Cut [DVD] (DVD)
I first watched this on my own in the dark on a large screen television and I was scared!!! What a great film, good classic horror that is not really gore, just suspense but done well!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a classic., 4 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Grudge - Directors Cut [DVD] (DVD)
Seems to be scarier than the original release. Good film.

3.0 out of 5 stars A well made 'Western' re-make in it's uncut form, 14 Aug. 2009
This review is from: The Grudge - Directors Cut [DVD] (DVD)

Some good 'cheap' jump scares combine with good genuine scares and the film is packed with creepy, grotesque sights and has a nice unrelenting pace as it keeps the shocks coming thick and fast and the final 3rd really delivers the brutal and grotesque goodies...but it still managed to add character and suspense.
Very good indeed overall.

BUT...What a travesty that Sam 'I have now become a corporate suit' Raimi allowed this to be cut down to get a PG-13!
If even contemplating the "Evil Dead" to be re-made was not proof enough, this should be!
Checking on the IMDB at what was removed for the theatrical release and it's pretty easy to see that much of the film's well crafted shock power was simply thrown away!
Don't even bother going near the theatrical cut...get this version instead and you will enjoy the ride a lot more. Especially the far more disturbing finale/flashback to the family killings.

The Grudge - Directors Cut [DVD]
The Grudge - Directors Cut [DVD] by Takashi Shimizu (DVD - 2011)