5.0 out of 5 stars Finally - a DVB card that can handle poor TV signals
I've had a media center setup for a year or so (initially under MCE2005 and now vista), but whereas my TV has been able to decode Freeview with no problems, most TV tuner cards for PCs are so sensitive that without a perfect signal the media center loses reception resulting in a blue screen.

this is the third DVB tuner I've tried (both PCI and USB) and it works...
Published on 25 Mar 2007 by M. Byatt

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent card, Windows software poor, works fine in Linux
I purchased this card because I wanted to build my own Media centre, and it was on the MythTV compatibility list.
It works perfectly with MytThV on Linux, just needed a bit of fiddling to get the Low Noise Amplifiers switched on. The remote works fine too.
I use MythBuntu on my HTPC, a surprisingly good distro,easy to use and set up.
With the latest version...
Published on 3 Oct 2008 by wyliecoyoteuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally - a DVB card that can handle poor TV signals, 25 Mar 2007
M. Byatt (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hauppauge WinTV Nova T 500/Dual digital PCI TV tuner card (Electronics)

this is the third DVB tuner I've tried (both PCI and USB) and it works brilliantly - perfect, faultless reception and not a blue screen in sight (having a dual TV card rather than two singles also seems to help - possibly requiring less signal)?

Highly recommended, and with MS Vista it's brilliant if you want an integrated system for TV, Photos, Video and Music.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent card, Windows software poor, works fine in Linux, 3 Oct 2008
I use MythBuntu on my HTPC, a surprisingly good distro,easy to use and set up.
With the latest version of MythTV , I can even record multiple channels from one multiplex on each tuner. At the moment, I have it set up for four channels max per tuner.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great card for Linux PVRs, 19 Jan 2008
B. Lancaster (Reading) - See all my reviews
I have two of these cards (making four tuners in total) on my MythTV machine. Having built a few MythTV-based media centres now, this is my far the best card I've tried, and is now very well supported under linux using the video4linux drivers (using the open source firmware out there; just search around for dvb-usb-dib0700-1.10.fw). The linux firmware can also enable the "poor quality signal booster" that's built on to the card.

The card tunes to channels notably faster than many of the other tuners I've tried too.

However, it's not without its faults:

As stated previously, the remote control is a bit rubbish (feels very cheap, and has a limited angle/range, more tricky to get working under Linux), so the USB MS MCE Remote is definitely a must-buy to go with this (very well supported on Linux).

In addition, it'd have been nice to see regular RF terrestrial supported and FM too, but with the DVB Radio channels on Freeview this may not be a gripe for you.

I've also found that the ariel socket on the back is a little feeble, the older of my cards has worked itself slightly loose and I'm a tad concerned it may disconnect from the board before too long.

Taking all of the above in to consideration, this is still far and above the best card for a Linux based PVR and very worthy of a 4/5 rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic picture quality - software could be better...., 26 Oct 2006
M. Calvert (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
Finally thought I`d post my first ever review on Amazon, after using this

card for a few weeks now.

Installation is a breeze, but the WinTV2000 software instructions are poor

when it comes to being able to record one tuner whilst watching another.

This is actually done by setting the Scheduler to `Background recording`

for the tuner to record, and then just starting up a seperate session of

WinTV2000 to watch the programme you want to watch.

As far as converting to DVD goes, I`ve just about messed with every

combination of post-capture software there is, and I can say that the

easiest and quickest method of getting the captured .mpg file to DVD is

to throw it at a programme called `VideoReDo`, and tell it to do a

`Quickstream Fix`, which fixes the file to be a proper DVD-Mpeg Stream.

Then you can re-load it into VideoRedo and trim the start and finish

points, and re-save the file. This file can then be thrown at Nero to

be converted to a DVD. Simple process, quick to do, and gets a final DVD

with no lip-sync issues, which I found I was getting with lots of the

other post-capture processing software methods.

Hope this helps someone, as it really is a good bit of hardware, but it

can be frustrating due to the poor instructions from Hauppauge.

Following the routine above will give you stunning DVD quality results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mythbuntu installation, 11 Dec 2008
mattux (Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
I installed this into a media centre using mythbuntu 8.04 and then 8.10 and with a couple of adjustments it works perfectly. For those interested, on install the machine needs to be rebooted to recognise the card and then the onboard amplifier needs to be activated (look on the mythtv site). On my old 2.5 Athlon machine I can rip a DVD and record on two channels at once without a stutter !! Fully recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect auto installation on Vista. Just add DVBViewer., 21 Oct 2007
D. R. Davies (Sunny Penzance, UK) - See all my reviews
Well I was amazed !

The CD in the box was for XP so I just ignored it.
Plugged the card into my Vista box and Vista automatically found all required drivers.

I saw a recommendation for DVBViewer with this card and I just can't believe what you get for a few euros. Just click europe in the epg section and get ready to be impressed.

DVBViewer is a breath of fresh air, it works, it's beautiful and its cheap.

Don't be fooled by the DVBViewer site, it looks as though nothing has happened since 2006 but its has, just pay the few euros and go to the members section.

I had a hauppauge tv card some time ago and vowed never to go near the brand again but I now see I was judging the product by its user software, which was dire, but the vista drivers on this card are obviously good, you just need to find some good front end software.

I tried MediaPortal and GBPVR but was really impressed with DVBViewer as mentioned above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly under Ubuntu, don't bother with any other brand, 22 July 2010
J. P. Schlackman (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a dual DVB-T card for use in a self-build media server running Ubuntu 10.04, and purchased this after trying a PEAK DUAL DVB-T Digital TV PCI Card which was a miserable failure. The card had firmware automatically installed as soon as the machine booted up and tuned in perfectly. This is my 3rd WinTV purchase in recent months and they've all been flawless.

The model I received actually had two aerial inputs as the newer ones have a 'diversity mode' which allows you to combine the signal from two separate aerials and use both tuners to receive the same channel with improved reception in low signal areas. I haven't tried this out, as I was only interested in receiving separate channels and you only need to use the aerial 1 socket for that. I also haven't tried out the remote as I didn't need it for my purposes, so I can't comment on whether it works under Ubuntu.

Usefully, there was a also a low-profile bracket included in the box for fitting the card into a half-height case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product, 25 Jan 2007
C. Taylour (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
I built my own media centre. All was going well except the TV tuner. I had bought the Compro t-750 and it is unbeliveably useless. I sent it back and bought the this one from Hauppauge and it works likes a dream, wish I had bought this first, would have had more hair left!!

I use it with MCE 2005 and only use the supplied drivers. Recording is easy and clear, even when recording on both channels and watching back a recording, whilst being recorded does not cause it to worry. Does not like poor signals, booster fixed this. Otherwise, this is the card for me, Great!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Actually received diversity version of the card, 21 April 2011
Alan Johnston (UK) - See all my reviews
Was looking for a dual DVB-T PCI card for a mythbuntu PC to replace a single USB stick tuner. Mythbuntu likes this card so I bought one but when it arrived, it was the diversity model with 2 aerial ports (which mythbuntu doesn't always like) and not the single aerial card in the picture.

The card was a model SL-289-V3.0-UK and luckily, the latest mythbuntu (10.10) recognised the card and it seems to be working OK. The remote also works better with mythbuntu if the LIRC mod is done.

see [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 20 Jun 2007
Just to put right a couple of other reviewers - this card works fine with XP and Vista. I can record using both tuners on both systems no problem. And also my hauppauge remote works fine in XP and Vista Media Centre. I have two of these cards, one in Vista Premium. One in XP. The only issue I have had is that using the wintv application, the resultant MPEG files will not play in Media Centre or Media Player (XP or Vista!!). According to Hauppauge tech support this is because microsoft (wmp, mce) does not understand the broadcast digital stream that wintv produces. I get round this by using "VideoRedo" to create an MPEG that microsoft understand!

ARRAY(0xb4a1ad74)