4.0 out of 5 stars Press Pause
Published on 22 Oct 2006 by Amanda Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Close, But No $500 Cigar
Obviously, the Diddy himself has made a substancial effort and spent time and money (ie. not too hard for him) in the promotion of "Play'. The results; unfortunately mediocre.

Published on 18 Oct 2006 by P. A. Parker

4.0 out of 5 stars Press Pause, 22 Oct 2006
Amanda Richards "Hotpurplekoolaid" (ECD, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Press Play (Audio CD)
Diddy is one of the most powerful men in the entertainment industry, and like a true tycoon, he often gets other people to do stuff for him. This album is made by the guest artistes, and we're talking Christina Aguilera, Nicole Scherzinger, Big Boi, Ciara, Timbaland, Twista, Avant, Nas, Cee-Lo, Mario Winans, Brandy, Keyshia Cole, Mary J. Blige, and Jamie Foxx, among others.

Most of the tracks are co-written by the man himself, but you'll need to discount his sometimes uninspired rapping, where he's reminiscing about the Biggie/Tupac days or talking about himself, which he does a lot. It may me just me, but it sounds a little weird to be rapping about liking to hear children singing and thanking the Almighty while your lyrics are of the PA variety.

The better tracks are first single "Come to Me" with Nicole Scherzinger, second single "Tell Me" with Christina Aguilera, "Wanna Move" with Big Boi, Ciara and Scar, the fresh "Diddy Rock" with Timbaland, Twista and Shawna and the catchy "Special Feeling" which was produced by will.i.am. Try also "After Love" with Keri Hilson, produced by Timbaland and Danj NDZ.

With so many talented guests, there's hardly any room for Diddy at this party, and that ain't necessarily a bad thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Puffy doin' his thing after 5 year hiatus..., 17 Oct 2006
FERGUS (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Press Play (Audio CD)
After hearing this album, i must say that i had mixed feelings. The first half of the album seems to have the best tunes, whereas the latter part of the album sounds kinda boring. But, the reason i give it four stars is because i believe it has the potential to grow on me.

Stand out tracks are:

Come to Me

Testimonial

Tell Me

The Future

Everything I Love (Nas is blazin' on this track!)

Definetley worth a buy in my book, because of it's creativity.

Peace

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 8 Dec 2006
This review is from: Press Play (Audio CD)
Hmmmmm... First off I want to say that in the end this man brought us Biggie in manys opinion the best rapper ever, so to be fair to the man he has got his place in hip-hop history. He is also the richest man in hip-hop at $346 million, all of this was self made. So an album from him would definitely get some attention. Nowadays in the UK outside of hip hop circles Diddy is probably best known for the Making the band mtv show. For some odd reason neither Danity Kane (the end product of making the band) Cassie (me and u a huge hit) or Yung joc (number 3 American album) are on this. All 3 acts are signed to diddy's bad boy label and all 3 have produced a top 5 us album in the last year Danity Kane hitting number 1. right onto the album....

Straight out of the gate diddy himself admitted he had ghostwriters BUT he did write some stuff. Before you make fun of him as you're a hater remember some others that had ghostwriters Dr dre and easy E. I've got nothing against these artists (well dre is involved with the ja rule beef and i take Ja's side). still at least he admitted it so `ill give him that. the intro (testimonial) is amazing for an intro. its not a track just a beat with diddy doing some amazing lyrics over it. very good intro with reply value. We Gon' Make It is a typical club tune thats really quiet good. the sample was also used for Jigga's new tune " show me what you got" so i reckon someones losing their job. "i am" is a diss to 50 cent with the line "im richer b***h" nothing really exciting about it just that that line beats 50. 50 has taken on some of the best lyrically (Nas, Jadakiss( rest of D block) and Ja rule (your opinion may differ from mine here)) his main diss for all of them was " i sold more" which to any proper hip hop lover means nothing (Big L's yet to go gold) but to some it does. Diddy is the king of commerical. now what has 50 got to show for himself, everyone he disses is better in some way. I could talk (diss) 50 for ages but this is a diddy review so "I am" is an ok track and for any 50 fans reading "its murdaaa".

the future is quiet a boring track and very skipable. "Hold up" has great street style production. the children singing is really quiet haunting but at the beginning he says "i love it when children sing" so theres a court case in the future for him. its quiet good lyrically too. "come to me " you 'll have heard this, got to number 4 in the charts great club banger and thats about it. Next up "tell me" with Christina Aguilera. This track could be huge. I love it personally, Just blaze with amazing production and christina drops some amazing vocals. the rapping's also above par. this track could hit number one easily and bring both artists album sales up. best track I think and worth downloading as its probably the best commercial song of the year. The next two songs are average with nice beats good for background music but thats about it. skip the interlude to get to "everything I love" with Nas. club banger and its funny seeing Diddy trying to be Nas but Nas is great (Hip Hop is Dead.. the N out december 19th) with quality lyrics hopefully a good sign of things to come. The next track sounds like he stole it from Justin Timberlake. Skip it.

After a boring interlude at track 10 we hit the R&B crossover hits. the first one with Keri is very good (could be a hit) my favourite one in this section of the album. I believe Keri whoever she is could be big. "Through the pain" Mario Winans is very good i like to chill to it as its got a nice beat and rhymes. "Thought you said" with brandy could be a moderate hit. its quiet good but doesn't have that x factor. the album kind of dies until the end but some people may like some of it. Its good background music like most of the album due to its nice glossy commercial sound.

Overall its not a classic by any means. Its not lyrically brilliant or has outstanding brilliant production but it does what it says on the box. Its plays. with a sprinkle of Great tracks (8 of them and the intro) but only one ( tell me) will be played loads. I recommend it for a great commercial album and for background music. Diddy can still make hits. Nothing for a hip hop head to get worked up about its nothing special but it is better than most commercial trash out here (50, Nelly, most of the south) so buy it for a bit of a change. Puff should be respected because he survived the whole east west coast feud and is still relevant today. But Diddy why no Danity Kane in the UK they would be at least hit top ten maybe even number one and make them the international stars you always say they will be. I don't personally like them but they have talent and would help bad boy get to the top. Bad boy died with Big but they still have some power but anyway...

Nice cd check it out if you have a spare ten pounds its worth it but buy tell me anyway its quality.

R.I.P. The Notorious B.I.G.

Bad boy for life ( but dont release any more biggie stuff except maybe a greatest hits box set because we dont want Biggies legacy ruined like the way Pacs was ( he does more cds per year than most artist that are alive ))

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe half a dozen great tracks, 18 Nov 2006
This review is from: Press Play (Audio CD)
Everything said about P Diddy's rapping is true. But this CD has maybe half a dozen great tracks. The guests dominate and several do their best work of the year on this CD. Which I guess must mean that P Diddy is pretty good at something.

3.0 out of 5 stars Close, But No $500 Cigar, 18 Oct 2006
P. A. Parker "Tom Parker" (UK, Leamington Spa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Press Play (Audio CD)

I think the main problem with this album is that ultimately, it lacks substance. No longer is the hip-hop world amazed by songs that merely transribe a night out trying to score. Essentially thats what the whole album is about; the procees of P.Diddy's love life. Merely glancing at the track names, the gist of the listening process will become aparent. People often get annoyed with 50 cent for his continuous lyrics about guns, cars and women but to give him credit at least he's got three, wheras P.Diddy's lastest tracks hardly veer form the 'honeyz' line.

To give the man credit, the songs are easy on the ears; with catchy beats and a voice easy enough to flood your ear canal, a feat easily perfomed by any decent producer.

But aside from that fact, one fo the major issues I have with this album is the fact that it is only about a third 'Diddy'. Take a moment to view the amount of 'feauturing..so and so' and ponder on why the man does this. I belive him to be a great and genuine perfomer, so why is he singer of his calibre on most of his tracks with people with half his experience or talent (excluding the might Jamie Foxx)? Could this be merely a publicity stunt to wow the listening public with the amount of contacts willing to appear on his CD? Whatever the reasons it takes away a certain amount of panashe' from the man who made great influences on the industry.

Though I'm sure tracks like "Come to me","Wanna Move" and "Through The Pain" will appear in clubs and Pimp My Ride sometime in the near future, the temporal validity of the album lies in great doubt. P.Diddy takes a bit of 'JT', Kanye West and Busta Rhymes but is missing the salt with which so many new hip-hop albums need a virgously pinch.

In conclusion I belive that this is genuinly a good album to kick back and listen to, but it feels more like its in existance purely because Diddy has been pushed onto the stage by the music industry. Enjoyable, but lacks genuine interest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Press Play P.Diddy, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Press Play (Audio CD)
This album is one of my favourites. It puts today's Hip Hop and R'n'B to shame. Every track is a dance floor filler. I remember reading the raving review in "The Sunday Times" that is what prompted me to by it. It is one of Puffy's best albums. I loved the African beats and Eastern samples in the music and the tongue and cheek lyrics in some of the songs. My favourite song is "Tell Me" that song is haunting.

4.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT, 19 Feb 2011
This review is from: Press Play (Audio CD)
I had this album years ago, and left it in the car when it got towed away and later written off so it was never to be seen again. Bought to replace as I missed it.
I love about 5 tracks on it especially the collaborations with Christina and Pussycat dolls.
If you like P Diddy, you'll like this and cant go far wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Future of R&B/Hip-Pop, 1 Dec 2008
LT Twalo "Luzh" (Johannesburg, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Press Play (Audio CD)
A lot has been said about how Diddy put together the best producers/ best rhymers/ best guests together in order to make an album for him and he just came in to do the vocals and put his name on the cover.

Anyway when I got the album the 1st thing I checked was the credits only to learn that out of 19 tracks only 5 were produced by the so called "A list" producers.
1 beat from Timbaland - Beats/muscles on steroids
1 beat from Just Blaze - This is what I do
1 beat from The Neptunes - We're not done yet
1 beat from Rich Harrison - Mr Rich Harrison to you
1 beat from Kanye West - When have you ever known me to lose

The rest of the album is helmed by a solid (but definitely not superstar) group of producers who are perhaps one hit away from making the above list. The most high profile of these "B list" producers is Havoc who has been outshined by his protege Alchemist of late. Havoc outdoes himself on "The Future" (my favourite track) He restores my faith in him by expanding his sound while staying true to his roots. Danja who is definitely next in line is behind another favourite "Diddy Rock" and the hot "Wanna Move." The other producer who features prominently on the CD is one of Diddy's own hitmen, Mario Winans.

So no Scott Storch, no Dr Dre, no Cool & Dre, no Swizz Beatz, no DJ Toomp. C'mon people....
OK he did get some of the best people in the industry to guest on his album and a lot of them are better than him. Diddy gets criticised for it while Hi-Tek is praised for it on Hi-Teknology 2. J Dilla is praised (R.I.P) for it on The Shining while Diddy is crucified for it. OK he doesn't write his own rhymes but Dr. Dre doesn't neither. At least (like Dre) he is not afraid to admit it.

All the politics aside the music is the real reason why you need to check for this album.

The album opens with a typical Bad Boy piano loop (See Forever). On here Diddy kicks his hottest verse since "Victory" on No Way Out.

"We Gon' Make It" follows with horns that must have Jay-Z kicking himself for not having plotted his return earlier and scooped this K-Def beat (Watch out Just Blaze). Diddy does not slouch on the mic either, doing his best Jigga impression with swagger filled but poignant rhymes.

Tell Me who shot Big?/
And take the bullets out of 2pac's ribs/
If I could I would reverse the car, reverse the beat/
Put it on a pot and pour it over a D-Dot beat/
Sometimes I get Drunk for stress relief/
Sometimes I put Life After Death on repeat (we ride)/
Whats a 4 door Bentley coup without my nigga on passenger the side?/
And still I try/
To get money stay fly, finish the race holding my crown high/
I fly next to God my eyes on the prize/
Been away a long time but now I'm re-energized/
The life and times of a mastermind/
Dedicate every breath to claim my design/
And the day I die/
Let a G4 fly and dump my ashes over NY/

After another punchline littered, Jay-Z reminiscent verse (If Jay is coming back then the world needs Puff) over some more horns, this time courtesy of the Hitmen on "I Am", the dark phase of the album begins. This is also the Pharaoh Monch phase of the album.

"The Future" is easily the best song on the album with its driving beat and rapid fire/staccato lyrics. The imagery so vivid as Diddy describes his vision of the future and his part in it (The potential to be the first black president). "Hold Up" continues the onslaught with its soldier drums and Angela Hunte on the hook. Havoc hasn't sounded this fresh in a minute.

The mood lifts again as the 1st single "Come To Me" rolls in, followed by the Christina Aguilera feature on "Tell Me," another definite party starter. But the highlight of this phase (party/club) of the album is definitely "Diddy Rock" featuring long-time Bad Boy collaborator Twista alongside Timbaland and Shawnna whose energy steals the show.

Kanye West puts his stamp on "Everything I Love" which has a typical Kanye 'Late Registration' West beat only at twice the speed and has Diddy straining to keep up at times, but Nas rides it like a pro. At this point the album goes on R&B mode where Diddy reveals his vision of the future of music.

The Brandy assisted "Thought You Said" and the Keyshia Cole helmed "Last Night" are the best examples of this new sound. Up-tempo with a slow groove, that place where R&B meets Pop and House. The latter even lifting from the old Prince. On "After Love" Timbaland shows Diddy that he is the one who has been leading this revolution in music with JT and Nelly Furtado. However Diddy does not quite do the beat justice. Diddy does better on the Rich Harrison master cut, "Making It Hard"

Whether you agree with this review or not one thing that no one can deny is that Diddy has created an album which sounds like nothing else that's sitting on the shelves. No gats, no drug tales, no eagles dropping or shoulders leaning, no snapping, no speeches on how black people should be living, no lessons on what real hip-hop should sound like, no daddy left me or I miss my dogs so pour out a little liquor. Just that pure, high energy, lets have a good time music. In my mind this is what Hip-Pop should sound like. The album is eclectic but not in the sense that we are used to. This is not Mos Def, Wyclef Jean or even Kanye West, Diddy blends Hip-Hop, R&B, Dance/Electronica to create an album that can only be described as the future of R&B/Hip-Pop

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 18 Nov 2007
Mr. J. Hanly "JK5" (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Press Play (Audio CD)
When i bought this album, i didn't expect much. Its Diddy, not a great lyricist but i thought it was worth a shot with all the guest appearances he has on the album. But clearly i made the right choice, because almost every song is a great hit.
Stand out tracks are Wanna Move, Thought you said, Tell me, Come to Me, Last Night, Everything i Love, Diddy Rock and Special Feeling. The rest are great tracks and some are memorable beats taken from various places similar to how Kanye West re-produced the beat for Touch the sky. Timbaland's beat on Diddy rock is fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Diddy Sounds Good...., 13 Oct 2006
This review is from: Press Play (Audio CD)
i got these today. and i could listen all the way through.. solid album from diddy. his last 3 albums went in the bin. but this is on the top shelf. solid line up of guests.. diddy has some great punchlines and lyrics. forget lloyd banks rotten apple thats crap get press play..

haters who think they know rap and hip hop.. just give the album a chance. play it then write ya review. wroth the money.

Press Play
Press Play by Diddy (Sean Combs) (Audio CD - 2006)