on 25 February 2013
This was a complete package, includes invitations and role descriptions, and a suggested menu... as the host, you need to keep on top of it to make sure everyone is included and shares their information, we had a great group of 10 who all took on their parts brilliantly, which helps make the evening a success. The only problem we had was the DVD, it wasn't too clear which parts to play and when to stop it, and it was very "cheesy". For the price, it was definitely worth the money, wouldn't want to pay much more though, as you can only really use it once.
on 6 February 2011
We just played this game this weekend and had an absolutely great time. A really good way of bringing people together, and fantastic value for money.
on 6 April 2009
Brilliant! what more can I say, we had such a laugh. the only slight downside is that some of the clues we had to read out had already been done on the dvd. apart from that - all good!
on 3 January 2013
I do have a number of these games acquired over the years....we always enjoy the content etc but I do now feel that the DVD version makes things a little complicated as really the viisual part means that you have to get up from the table and watch Mr Mc Clue...i prefer the CD versions, less disruptive..!
on 23 January 2015
This product was advertised as having a dvd but instead had a cassette which apart from not being as good for a murter mystery is also not much use to me as i havent got a cassette player!
on 3 October 2012
We bought this product for my daughter's 16th birthday party. She had 9 of her friends round dressed in character, a meal cooked and music chosen to fit in with the theme. She had been building up for it for weeks and everyone was looking forward to it. HOWEVER, the disaster struck when we came to set the table in the evening One of the character books was missing. The box had arrived sealed in celophane, so this must have happened upon packing. We had two character booklets for one character and Terence Shrimp (who was one of the main characters) had no booklet. We checked the internet to see if we could find the notes online, but no success. They did muddle along as best they could, but the story didn't gel and certain clues/speeches couldn't be made, also the boy playing Terence Shrimp was left practically redundant.

My advice to anyone buying this product is check everything through with a fine-tooth comb to ensure the game is complete. (as I assumed my daughter had done when sending out the invitations!)

The game idea is great and they would have had a brilliant night if it weren't for this important omission.
on 19 April 2014
We had 9 folks over for dinner and used this game. We didn't stick to the character dress exactly. As we were all 30+, we were able to glean something from our own closets to wear and not have to buy any costumes. Scripted dialogue is short and easy to follow and suggestions meant conversation flowed freely.

For the hosts, I would recommend reading host booklet clearly beforehand and organizing it in your head. It's not clearly laid out and wasn't clear to us. For example, "dialogue before round two" is actually part of round two. To us, the round started when the next section / topics / clues were started. We did each round, ate a course, next round, next course, etc. Didn't use the suggested menu (who really wants angel delight for dessert?!?), but in general a good time as had by all from the game within the box.
on 11 November 2012
Eight of us played this game and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I have only given four stars as we felt the outcome was a bit obvious. (Hope I am not giving too much away). Everyone came dressed in part. We found at first it was a bit cumbersome reading the parts and I think if we do another it will be much easier for us as we understand how it all works. I used a fold up dining table in my living room and moved my furniture so we could see the the DVD without having to get up from dining area to living area. I asked guests to bring cold starters, a side salad, wine and dessert. I cooked a main course and potatoes and we shared the cost of the game. For a few pounds we had a wonderful time ... A great way to spend an evening without breaking the bank and everyone wants to do another murder mystery game.
on 13 September 2015
I've done a couple of murder mysteries before so kind of knew the gist of the game. Had big problems with the dvd, tried it on two different laptops and two dvd players before it would work - seems to be copied as an American format which isn't ideal - which was a shame and caused delays. When you're setting up make sure you test the dvd in advance and get it working long before your guests arrive!

The two extra characters actually had quite substantive roles, so I'd recommend doing it with 10 people if you can. As said in other reviews, two of the characters have very few lines which is a bit of a shame, so it might be best to encourage a lot of ad lib!

That said great game for the price. If you haven't done a murder mystery before this is a good game to start.
on 20 January 2014
We were disappointed with this game. Each year we have a New Year's Eve dinner with a murder mystery and this did not come near to others we have had. We felt the DVD was unnecessary as the booklets only repeated its content and the story was weak.