5.0 out of 5 stars The only watch you'll ever need!
I have just returned from 15 months of travelling around the world. I needed a watch for my journey and wanted something that would be
Reliable
Undesirable to theives
Indestructable

This watch easily forfils all of those requirements.

Published on 12 Oct. 2007 by J. M. Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch shame about the strap
Despite what the hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy may claim, Digital Watches are cool! So when I needed a new watch, I had to have one of these. Digital and at a reasonable price.

Published on 1 Aug. 2010 by Paul Tapner

5.0 out of 5 stars The only watch you'll ever need!, 12 Oct. 2007
J. M. Smith "J-Man" (London) - See all my reviews
Reliable
Undesirable to theives
Indestructable

This watch easily forfils all of those requirements.

I noticed the first review I saw said something like "unless you want to scuba dive, this is the ideal watch for you". Not true! During my travels I spent 3 months diving as a divemaster in Malaysia and wore this watch throughout. It has been down to 40M and never let me down.

Brilliant.

If you really want the retro apeal, you need to go for the silver metal finished version... Nowhere near as hard wearing but looks cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Light, compact, low-cost, non-nonsense digital watch, 21 Jun. 2007
T. D. Welsh (Basingstoke, Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Casio W-59-1VQES Alarm/Chronograph Watch (Watch)
I bought this watch because my last cheap Casio (purchased at a jewelry shop) had failed in the usual way - the plastic wriststrap split across, leaving me with an uncomfortable stub.

After a little browsing, I picked the W-59-1VX because it was the least expensive black plastic digital watch I could find. Yet, as a Casio, I knew it would work well, be easy to understand, and last for a good while. (Probably longer than the strap, at least...)

It does the basic things - keeps time to within about 30 seconds a week (at worst), is easy to adjust, has a backlight and stopwatch (up to 1 hour, so no marathons for you).

It was only when I had put it on that I noticed how small it is. Logically, that is a good thing - no one really wants to carry a great lump around on their wrist. Maybe it's a women's model, or maybe it's just no bigger than it has to be.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch shame about the strap, 1 Aug. 2010
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Casio W-59-1VQES Alarm/Chronograph Watch (Watch)

The watch itself is excellent. Giving a clear digital display of hours minutes and seconds that can be either in the twenty four clock or not. It shows the day of the month and of the week. It has an alarm function that will sound at a time you select. It has a stopwatch function. And a countdown when you can set an alarm to go off after a time period of your choosing has elapsed.

It's a very good watch.

The strap however is thin and appears to be a bit flimsy at first glance. But after I'd had this for a mere three weeks the part of the watch that holds the strap on simply fell off in one corner. And since it's a small plastic bit it was impossible to find.

A shame. The next watch I buy will also be digital. But I'll look for one with a bigger strap that appears it might be likely to stay on longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What I Was Looking For!, 8 Dec. 2007
P. B. Jayatissa "Parakrama" (Birmingham, West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio W-59-1VQES Alarm/Chronograph Watch (Watch)
Taking a minimalist approach, I searched for a watch for everyday wear and didn't want to bother about caring for it. Therefore, I didn't want to spend an unnecessary amount and wanted to make sure that the watch is basic but reliable. This retro digital watch from Casio fits all those requirements.

GOODS

- Price: I paid only £8 for the watch. Therefore, even if I break the watch, I could buy a new one without any regrets about not caring for it properly or not bothering about repairing, or changing batteries for that matter. Great!

- Basic but Essential Features: You get Time (12 & 24 hr display formats), Date, Day, Alarm, Stopwatch (the watch only allows for 1 hour. If the stopwatch goes beyond 1 hour, it resets to '0' at the start of the second hour) & a green LED light to help the user read the display in dark places.

- Reliability: The watch is a Casio. I've had a couple of Casio calculators and several Casio watches (both analogue & digital). Therefore, I have no doubts regarding the reliability of the watch. Also, I've been using this watch almost everyday for the past 6 months and everything works perfectly fine.

- Accuracy: The watch doesn't freeze or go blank. The instruction sheet indicates that there will be a very small time discrepancy (between the actual time & the time displayed on the watch) over time but that's barely noticeable and happens with every watch. It could be corrected easily by manually adjusting the time.

- Battery Life: I haven't seen any deterioration of the battery so far. The display looks sharp and the LED seems as bright as it was 6 months ago. In my experience, if you don't use the LED frequently, you could use the original battery for several years. But again, it depends heavily on the way you use the watch.

- Resin Strap: So far, the strap doesn't have any damage and since I wear the watch loosely, I barely feel the presence of the watch on my wrist. Very comfortable for extended periods of wear.

NOT SO GOODS

- Alarm Volume: There is no feature that allows you to adjust the volume level of the alarm & personally, I find that the alarm is not loud enough for my residential area. But for the price I paid, I'm willing to compromise that.

- Styling: This range of watches were first introduced in the 1980s and therefore don't cater the fashion requirements of the majority of consumers today. But the looks didn't matter to me. I just wanted a simple watch that works great.

Overall, I'm quite happy about this purchase. I fully recommend this watch for anyone that is willing to go for 'Real Value for Money'!

5.0 out of 5 stars the perfect watch, 29 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Casio W-59-1VQES Alarm/Chronograph Watch (Watch)
Unless you're into scuba diving I can conceive of no reason to buy any watch more expensive than this one. It does everything and it costs less than a new battery and reseal. It's hard-wearing and it's so cheap that it doesn't matter if you lose or break it anyway. Plus, if you're in my age bracket, you can enjoy the retro appeal of wearing something that would have been considered super cool and hi-tech around 1981. 'Nuff said.

4.0 out of 5 stars strap easily changed, 6 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Casio W-59-1VQES Alarm/Chronograph Watch (Watch)
A number of people have commented on problems with the strap breaking after a couple of years, or being otherwise unsuitable. It is actually easy to change it, as I have done as I don't like plastic straps. If you look carefully you'll see that the holes on one side of the strap are smaller than those on the other. The pins that hold the straps in place are gripped tightly by the smaller ones, and can be released by pushing in something suitable from that side. To attach the new strap just reverse the process, pushing in the pin from the opposite side.

The only reservation I have about this product is that as you don't have to hold any buttons down to change the time there's a risk of it being changed accidentally. Also, the light isn't as good as on my previous watch (which died when the battery was changed by a jeweller), but then that cost a lot more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small and cheap., 19 Dec. 2007
Reviews Guy (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Casio W-59-1VQES Alarm/Chronograph Watch (Watch)
I just wanted a simple watch to wear day and night. I don't want a fashion object in my wrist. I just want something that I can see the time and that's all. I was tired to have to take my mobile phone out of my pocket whenever I needed to know the time. Now no more. This watch is very cheap, looks good, is small, feels durable and the best of all, it's so simple you won't even notice you're using it since it's so light.
I gave 5 stars because you really can't go wrong about it. It's a watch and show you the time. Easy to set up the time and very light.
Definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rolex for 10 pounds, 30 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Casio W-59-1VQES Alarm/Chronograph Watch (Watch)
This watch is quality, i have owned a number of more expensive time pieces and none are as reliable as this one. Its not very fancy, but then its only 8 pound 50 so what do you expect. The great thing is that its as accurate a time keeper as a Rolex or omega and is a mere fraction of the cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars =), 10 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Casio W-59-1VQES Alarm/Chronograph Watch (Watch)
Does one truly need to say anything about this vintage evergreen among watches? =) No. It's perfect. Full stop. (Remember, it is a watch, it has a timer, a stopwatch, a light, displays day, date, year, and can be set to 24hr or AM/PM mode. Even beeps every hour if that's your cup of tea ;)

1.0 out of 5 stars Pathetic, 4 April 2015
Jeff Walmsley "JW" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Casio W-59-1VQES Alarm/Chronograph Watch (Watch)
I bought this entirely for its alarm - to remind me to take medication at a certain time each day. For this purpose it's quite useless. I might be getting on, but my hearing is excellent; however, the so-called alarm is only barely audible if I hold the watch two or three inches from my ear (I had hoped it would be audible from my breast pocket).

The watch is also tiny - suitable perhaps for a very small child. The face bears the legend "water-resistant 50M" in prominent red and gold lettering. The unwary might think that this meant to 50 meters; but for obviously specious reasons, Casio label their products' degree of water resistance with the legends 50M, 100M, 200M and 300M, which appear to have no meaning other than as identifiers of particular classes of water resistance, ranging from just splashes (50M) to scuba diving (300M). Whilst this is unimportant to me, I thought it worth mentioning.

Casio W-59-1VQES Alarm/Chronograph Watch