on 14 November 2006
I decided to go for this iPod to replace my 15GB model as I needed more memory. The old iPod still works & gives 6 hours of continuous playback even after 4 years, so I decided to stick with Apple.

I'm really enjoying the new features that weren't on my old player. The video playback is great & the quality is very good. I like having all my album artwork on display & the abilty to play games in colour & view photographs is a bonus. You do have to purchase the better games from the iTunes store, but they are reasonably priced.

The one point of contention I have is that the quoted 20 hours playback just isn't achievable. 15 hours would be a much more realistic boast.

As with all Apple products this is a great looking item, which is easy to use. Overall I'm very satisfied with my purchase & the price offered by Amazon is the best around.

PS: The issue with iTunes only allowing you to authorise 5 computers for use with your account doesn't hold the problem noted by a previous reviewer. You simply deauthorise any computer you no longer use, allowing you to select another.
on 15 March 2007
For a few years i've avoided the iPod bandwagon until my Samsung mp3 player died on me and i decided to take the plunge. I'm glad i did. I've read so many negative comments about iPods that i was almost put off (but then you find negative reviews about everything).

BUILD: The first thing that surprised me was how heavy it feels and how solid it is. The menus and the wheel are a doddle to use. The metal back and shiney white plastic front ooze style and quality and so far i've avoided scratches but i'm pretty careful. I just keep the screen covered with a screen protector and store the player in the case that comes with it and i have no scratches (yet).

SOUND: The sound is very bassy even on its default settings. It doesn't go quite as loud as my older Samsung mp3 but it does sound better. I haven't even opened the earphones that came with it because they're the type that are quite big and don't sit in your ear comfortably so i use Sony Closed inner ear type Fontopia earphones which compliment the player very well.

VIDEO: The video screen is too small to watch a movie on (for me it is anyway, Archos movie player much better for that) but it's great for music videos or things like YouTube clips. Google 'Free YouTube to iPod Converter' and you can download and convert YouTubes (or just about any other video) easily to add to your iPod. You can also use the program to convert videos already on your computer. If you want to transfer your DVD's to your iPod then a great bit of (free) software is 'handbrake' which can also be found easily by googling.

SOFTWARE: I'm also pleasantly surprised with iTunes. Keeping your player updated is simple. I subscribe to a few podcasts and video podcasts, i'm always adding new tracks and videos and iTunes makes it a breeze to do. I'd never used it before but it took me very little time to get my head around it (so it must be simple!)

EXTRAS: I downloaded a couple of games from Itunes (though there are a few already on the player when you get it) and they play really well. Some games are better suited to the click wheel than others such as Zuma and Tetris. I find Bejewelled extremely fiddly.

The instruction booklet is a bit of a let down and it would have been nice to have a mains power adaptor rather than having to connect it to your PC to charge it up. But you can't have everything and this is by far the best music player i've ever owned. The other great thing is that there are so many things you can buy for it to make it even better!

Highly recommended.

PS. I strongly recommend that you visit the website ilounge.com as this brilliant site will answer just about any question you may have regarding iPods.
on 9 October 2006
Firstly i bought a 30gb ipod from Amazon few weeks ago, i soon filled it all up so decided to upgrade to the 80gb version. Whats great is that it is the same size as the previous 60gb video so not too big, not too small.

Even with 7000 songs on it,still have 35gb free space for movies and pictures which to me is enough. Battery seems to be fine, but doubt it is going to last 20 hours. As long as you dont scroll around all the time,its fine!And the new search function is great,except do not really use it.

Overall a great ipod with heeps of space and a gd battery life to keep you entertained on those non stop long journeys.
on 15 June 2007
It does whats its supposed to BUT in order to view your movies on the IPOD you have to convert them to a specific format. Easily done with Quick Time PRO at an additional cost of £20 to obtain a product key to unlock quicktime. Shame they don't mention this at time of sale.....

Don't be fooled if your movies play in ITUNES (cos they will) but to play them on IPOD they need to be a specific format. You can play H.264 and MPEG-4 videos in .mov, .m4v, and .mp4 file formats.
on 10 April 2007
After living with the first click wheel, then upgrading to a 60gb photo, I have always shown loyality to the Apple brand.

However, once the new flash, shiny ipod video arrived, I had to get one, and the 80gb one at that.

Am I impressed? you bet. It's thinner, it's faster, it's even more user friendly, and the sound & picture quality is amazing.

Same old iod problems, ie expensive downloads, the back gets marked adn scratched by just looking at it, but thankfully there are now enugh cases to protect it from all but the biggest accidents.

A great product, that will take some beating.

5/5
on 20 December 2006
I am an ipod owner. I never thought that I would say that never mind print it on the internet but I really am impressed.

As a former Dixons employee I was all to aware of over the plethora of faults that iPods encounter and of course the massive cost. For years I resisted, owning creative and sony products instead DETERMINED not to join the rest of the world in the iPod revolution.

My, how things have changed. The reason that I bought the 80GB iPod is that my new car came with an iPod adapter installed so my other players were useless. I decided to take the plunge for two other reasons;

1. Battery Life has really come along in iPods

2. I download a lot of podcasts and it is much easier to keep them updated with an iPod

This product is really really good. The size, weight and usability are excellent and the new brighter screen is a joy to look at. I got a case so i'm not bothered about scratching and as the device spends most of its life connected to the car stereo in my glove box where it is constantly charged.

I can make a new playlist every day on iTunes, create one on the fly or just stick the unit on shuffle and have fresh music in my car wherever I go.

The old issues such as price and battery have been resolved and as such, I am now converted.

One piece of advice is to get some different headphones as 1. They are crap and 2. The attract muggers. Buy some Sony fonotopia ones instead.
on 23 March 2007
This iPOD looks great and the picture/Sound quality is awesome. A must companion for travel. The Battery is also good, but do not expect it to last long when playing Videos. Scratches are inevitable...

Tip: For those who travel frequently, buying the normal plug-in charger is worthwhile, cos you do not need to have access to a PC to charge your iPOD.

This product from Apple is definitely worth the money spent!!
on 6 July 2007
Several reviews before mine are going on about how you have to use a credit card to get artwork onto iTunes and your iPod, and how you need Quicktime Pro to compress movies etc for the iPod, which costs more.

Well, they're wrong. First of all you don't need to log into iTunes Store to get artwork - you can do it for free by surfing the net and dragging artwork off Play.com or Amazon.com onto iTunes. There are also very cheap or even free utilities that will do it for you.

Secondly, you don't NEED to upgrade to Quicktime Pro - there are loads of cheap and free utilities on the web for compressing video to the iPod. In fact if you have a Mac (which you should do if you own an iPod - come on, people, use a Zunelol if you're going to stick with your poor old PC!) then you can use iSquint for FREE which does a cracking painless job of compressing video and even sending it over to iTunes.

But yes, the headphones you get with the iPod are still appalling. ;)
on 27 June 2007
I found this ipod brilliant but if you are planning to buy one, i advise that you get a case, skin, scratch guard or something like that because I have only had my one for about five weeks and it is completely covered in scratches.

For some reason it does not come with a charger but it has got a USB cable to connect to your computer to charge it.

Dispite all of this, I strongly advise that you buy one. It is completely worth what it costs
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have had many other Apple products like iPod Nano's, iPod Shuffle and even the iPod Video. This 80GB Nano looks exactly the same as the iPod Video but this slightly thicker in width.

It can do all the usual stuff like play music, videos etc. And play plenty of it too! 20,000 songs or 20 hours of video! WOW!!!

I am a Graphic Designer so I use Apple Macs for my work, and I often need to download files from one computer to another. Not many people mention this but the iPod Nano is also a hard drive where you can drag and drop files so instead of buying an external hard drive why not use the iPod.

The 80GB is massive! When you consider that an average MacBook Laptop is around 60GB!

Although the iPod states 80GB of memory it never is - 75GB would be a better estimate, this is due to preloaded software on the iPod.

Wouldn't it be great if iPods had built-in cameras and had bluetooth capabilities where people could share data??? If someone from Apple is reading this then perhapes you would like to mention this to Steve.