5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet
Published on 13 April 2007 by Keno

2.0 out of 5 stars A Flawed Gem
This was ordered as a christmas present. The look and feel of the controls are superb. The menu and controls are intuitive and easy to use. Initial setup of the Itunes software was easy. The Ipod was recognised right away by my PC and loaded easily with music and photos.

Published on 12 Jan. 2007 by ted

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet, 13 April 2007
This review is from: Apple iPod 30GB Video/Black (5th Generation) (Electronics)
I have had this iPod a few weeks and if it was possible I would give it in excess of 5 stars. It is very easy to use and I have now put most of my music and photos on it. Having tried various makes and types this by far the best. My age is 78 years and if I can find it easy to use then the younger generation should have no trouble. I agree that one should obtain screen covers (which are quite cheap and also the leather cover) Well done Apple.

KENO

4.0 out of 5 stars A cautionary thought before purchasing this product:, 24 Jan. 2007
Jeremy Clarke (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPod 30GB Video/Black (5th Generation) (Electronics)
Bear in mind a few things when you consider buying this:

(1) If you use Windows Media Player, you may need to reformat all your music onto iTunes in order to install it onto your ipod. This may take ages if you have 30GB of music to load onto your ipod.

(2) The ipod doesn't come with a wall charger - only a cable to connect your ipod to a computer. You may want to buy a wall charger separately.

(3) The case for the ipod is flimsy and useless. Careful owners will want to buy a new case for it.

Other than these considerations, the product is excellent and very simple to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but invest in protective case!, 14 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Apple iPod 30GB Video/Black (5th Generation) (Electronics)
I am on the whole delighted with my 30 Gig ipod video having purchased it about a week ago. It is simple to use, has a good balance of features but not so many as to take away from the simple and easy to use design. I can carry all my music with me all the time and enjoy my photos anywhere. It syncs fast with itunes and charges to almost full in half an hour. Best of all you can pick a range of accessories both cheap from ebay and better quality ones from Amazon or Apple direct. No other MP3 player brand offers the choice of extras.

I would make two observations about the ipod. Firstly the ipods ability to pick up scratches is unbelievable. Having had the ipod only 12 hours I placed it in it's protective case (provided) and a small (really tiny) speck of grit caught between to screen and the case placed a nice big scratch across the screen. This is easily fixed with brasso (carefully), however still annoying if you compare it to most mobile phones which you are able to keep in the bottom of your bag or pocket for months without scratching. I would highly recommend buying a protective snap on cover when you order your ipod, and transfer it right from the box into the case.

Secondly, battery life... 20 hours? Maybe if you listen on low volume without pressing any buttons? 6-7 hours if you dim the screen. If you tend to fiddle with the ipod, not letting it just play the super bright screen will ware the battery down.

Four out of five Apple, sort the battery and the easy scratch plastic please?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - does exactly what I want, 16 Aug. 2007
Andy (UK, M4 corridor) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPod 30GB Video/Black (5th Generation) (Electronics)
I've put off buying an mp3 player for years, preferring to write music to CDs. However, in the time since receiving my iPod, I think my life has changed. No longer will I set out on a drive and then realise that the same 6 scratched cds are in the boot, the one's that have been there for 3 months, containing about 15 songs each. Instead I have 30GB of music, podcasts and books covering anything I could ever want - radio on demand! Having my music with me on the iPod also means I've rediscovered albums and tracks I forgot I had as it shuffles through.

One benefit I think of the iPod is all the accessories that have been developed for it because of it's popularity. I have an iTrip that works well and an iSkin to defend the very shiny black iPod.

The iPod is very intuitive to use, and I can access the thousands of songs within seconds. I can't think of a better way to do it than the way the iPod works. iTunes seems very user-friendly too for managing and collecting every type of media. The sound quality is better than plugging headphones into my computer. Although I'm not interested in the video feature, as I mainly use the iPod at work or driving, the couple I've put on there to test look as good as they do on the computer screen.

4.0 out of 5 stars ipod - definately worth the money, 17 April 2007
N. Gallacher "Nick" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPod 30GB Video/Black (5th Generation) (Electronics)
I recently bought a 30GB ipod, and I have to say it's a fantastic bit of kit. There are 2 bad points, which in my opinion are the only things that are bad about it:

1. The headphones are crap (apart from being in hideous "mug me" white, they are rubbish quality. Invest in a better pair immediately - a medium priced pair will do, as the sound quality from the ipod is excellent)

2. The battery life is'nt great (about 7 or 8 hours at a push if left on continuously)

Other than that, it is most definately worth the money, and I'm delighted with it. If you are wondering whether or not to get the 80GB, I have 203 full albums including artwork on my 30GB model, and it is not yet half full. Don't get an 80GB model if you have any less than about 500 albums, give or take.

Good fun to use, really versatile and convenient - great invention.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Flawed Gem, 12 Jan. 2007
ted (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPod 30GB Video/Black (5th Generation) (Electronics)

After less than a two weeks a fault developed where the PC would not recognise the IPod. It gave a message that the Ipod appeared to be "corrupted" and suggested "restoring". I carried out this procedure but the fault was still there. All the self help solutions on the website failed. After findind the well hidden telephone support number I was connected to an operator in a different country somewhere. She was unable to solve the problem over the phone and she told me she would e-mail me a solution. The e-mail referred to a different problem. I know the fault was an Ipod fault and not PC software as second PC which had formerly recognised it showed the same fault.

So I have returned it to Amazon. I have spoken to my workmates who have between them had 4 out of 5 Ipods fail, all but 1 in under a year. So I have decided not to replace it. When it is working it is superb but Apple support is poor and I can't afford to treat something that costs £160 as a disposable item to be replaced every year or so.

3.0 out of 5 stars Has good and bad points, 30 Jan. 2007
Mr. L. F. Thompson "luke_t99" (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPod 30GB Video/Black (5th Generation) (Electronics)
Firstly, the iPod looks beautiful. It does attract finger marks but we all know that so i expected it. The machine itself works well. I had around 18Gb of songs to put on my player so i left it running over night. One annoyance is that when transfering songs the screen stays lit, although it does remind you not to remove the iPod as this could cause problems so i guess this is a good thing.

I bought the iPod to replace my iRiver H320 which i absolutely loved, but, it has to be said it was a bit of a brick. The iPod is half the thickness and the screen is half an inch bigger but otherwise the dimensions are more or less the same. The big differnce between the two is the sound quality. The iPod is reasonable, but the iRiver was amazing, if you're a total audiophile look elsewhere, i know i'm keeping my iriver for when i want a punchy sound. The iPod just can't manage the same bass range, it lacks a bit of punch. I'm using the same Sony MDR-EX71SLB Fontopia Headphones so it's not due to using a different set. The iPod though does create a reasonable sound. And in terms of battery? Well it's been on today for around 5 hours on medium volume and the meter says i have 3/4 of battery remaining (well on target for the 14 hours quoted for this 30Gb model), which is so far matching my iriver. Another advantage of the iPod is being able to make playlists on the go which i've not been able to do before and as i have so much music i really like to be able to make my own playlists.

The main disadvantage of the iPod over the iriver is the fact you have to use iTunes, don't get me wrong, it's a good programme, but the iriver is so much more flexible as it is treated just like a hard drive so you can just drag and drop music, photos, videos and they will play on the device. With iPod you have to first move stuff to iTunes and then sync. I'm also determined not to buy songs from iTunes, if i decide i want a new mp3 player i don't want to be limited to iPod, so for now i will still be buying and ripping cd's. Hopefully the movie download service will hit the UK soon. These can, with accessories be played through your tv via the iPod. Remember though that downloaded movies have all the digital rights management stuff attached to them, so again, maybe better to buy the dvd, rip it, and then convert it to play on your iPod

iPod is a useful little device. I'm comparing it to my iriver and it has advantages like ease of use (click wheel is so good for scrolling), on the go playlist maker and it's smaller and lighter than the iriver. However, the sound isn't as full and i constantly seem to be changing the EQ settings which is getting annoying, note you can't change each aspect, you have to choose from a preset, although there are enough presets to choose from. Also, my iriver came with lots of accessories, hard case with belt clip, charger, sennheiser headphones, in line remote control, it can play radio and it came with an external clip on battery pack, made it huge but a godsend for the occasional long trip (although accessories came at a price, the H320 was 20Gb and cost £270 although with all the extras the ipod will reach that as well) Also, the drag and drop set up of the iriver is so much more convenient than iTunes.

So, 3 stars, a good device but there are other just as capable machines out there. If you want strong sound go for something else, if you just want an mp3 player this certainly has it in the looks department and functionality is reasonable. All in all it's a good purchase and i would recommend it, just be aware that other products exist and be prepared for an adjustment if you're coming from a different manufacturer, a lot like getting a new mobile phone i guess!

4.0 out of 5 stars iPod Video Review, 16 July 2007
Matthew Ogram "iPod-Fixer o_O" (Rugeley, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPod 30GB Video/Black (5th Generation) (Electronics)
This iPod is my eighth iPod to date, and I've got almost no complaints with it.

Admittedly, I did not buy this iPod from Amazon, but I got it from the official Apple Store, but nevertheless I can give it a good review here.

The following that iPods have been given is far from spotless, and I think its for one particular reason. The iPods with Reflective metal backs (like the iPod video, and the first iPod Nano etc) scratch with absurd ease... As in I have managed to put my old iPod Nano on a glass desk and pick it up to find scratch marks in the back... This (I think) is the one let down to iPods.

Other than that, the iPods are amazing. I love them (hence me having 8) and the software that is iTunes is fantastic. The sturdy feel and the way the the iPod fits into the palm of my hand is not to be doubted.

Here is a short list of recommendations for buying and iPod Video:
1. Buy it in white (so much more attractive than black)
2. Get a decent case (I recommend the Artwizz Scratchstopper)
3. Get Decent Headphones (Sennheiser or Bang & Olufson)

Thanks for taking the time to read my review.

4.0 out of 5 stars A review - Not a dig at Apple -, 10 July 2007
Doug Adams (Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPod 30GB Video/Black (5th Generation) (Electronics)
You are probably reading this with a view to purchasing an iPod or alternative MP3 player, I have a great deal of sympathy with the earlier reviewers who appear to have customer complaint issues with Apple and issues with their iPod and while this is an important consideration in determining what you eventually purchase it should be balanced with the overall performance of the product.

I have been running my 5th Gen video iPod for a while now (6 months + ) and here are a couple of hopefully useful points:

1. It really does scratch up a treat, especially in black so I do recommend that you purchase a decent case but make sure that the case is up to the job because some cases are more decorative than protective, personally I would not walk past the iSkin Evo - find it on Amazon - I can confirm that this a very good heavy duty cover that offers good protection from damage.

2. Quality, overall not shabby but the supplied earphones don't do it justice, get a decent pair and the quality improves dramatically especially in terms of bass response and at the volume range extremes.

3. iTunes:- There are some things I love about iTunes and some things I hate. It is easy to use, the selection of music is overall very good but some big black holes especially with the better selling artists who presumably don't want to jump in with Apple. For me one of the issues is definitely the protected format. I cannot directly access my iTunes purchased music for other purposes. For example if I want to use an iTunes purchased song as background to a slide show or home video or wirelessly stream music and video from my media PC to media extenders, my Xbox 360 will not find iTunes on the media PC and while my PS3 does find it it is pretty much useless because while it can play Apple formats it cannot read the index info so you cannot identify artists, albums or song titles. The recent move to offer non protected format is good but only for the future and I resent paying the premium, even if it is also higher quality. Finally getting round the protected formats is relatively easy but it is time consuming and you end up with two copies of the same song so why should I !

4. iTunes (Part 2):- Once you have a working iTunes wait a couple of months before accepting upgrades, while complete failure at upgrade is rare there can be numerous small niggles and while these may not stop you using iTunes they are very annoying and a pain to get rid of.

5. Movie, TV and Video downloads from Apple - check before you buy that these services are available in your country, they aren't always.

6. Capacity, Battery Life and Usability:- Apple are number 1 for a reason and these are all more than adequate for the average user.

Overall the 5th gen iPods deserve their good reputation and I am sure that some time in the near future Apple will have to switch off protective formats and thus solve the cross platform compatibility that is an issue today.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have !!, 31 Mar. 2007
John "John" (Yorkshire, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPod 30GB Video/Black (5th Generation) (Electronics)
I write this review as a recent convert from Sony. After owning the Sony NW-A3000 20GB for approx. 1 year i finally gave in after constant battles with the 'pathetic' excuse for software that is 'CONNECT'.

After receiving the I-POD 5th Gen. 30GB Player i was more than happy with how it looked and performed, but where 'Apple' really score over the competition is with the I-Tunes software. It is so easy to use and does not cause your computer to be ground to a halt like the Sony connect software.

If you are thinking about purchasing the Apple I-POD then stop deliberating and go get it!! You will not be dissapointed!!

The only down side i could find was with the quality of the headphones supplied. It is about time that major manufacturers of MP3 players (APPLE, SONY ect) provided 'Good' quality headphones that compliments the player fully!!

Would recommend that you consider purchasing some good quality headphones from 'Sennheiser' or 'Shure'.

Apple iPod 30GB Video/Black (5th Generation)
Used & New from: £74.99