TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 August 2012
It has to be 5 stars for a six movie boxed set of some of Truffaut's best and most influential works. Many believe that 'The 400 Blows', 'Jules et Jim' and 'Shoot the Pianist' were a huge boost to French cinema, contributing enormously to the now-known genre 'French New-Wave'.

Those that argue the three remaing titles are lesser and not-so worthy are only partly right. For the newcomer (which I was, almost) to Truffaut when I bought the set, it is ideal, introducing alternative titles to the famous ones, to give a more all-round picture of this acknowledged master director. This way, films not usually seen or bought on their own get an airing. I see this as a strength, not a weakness, providing of course the overall standard is high.

It's one big chunky box, with separate DVDs in each and every case, with a repackaged, uniform layout and look. This includes, on the reverse, in English, the synopsis, rather small-sized picture gallery and details of the extras. On 'Shoot the Pianist' (as an example) extras are - intro by Serge Toubiana, Audio commentary by the cinematographer, Truffaut talks about Shoot the Pianist and Original Theatrical Trailer. I'm not into extras myself and rarely access them, so won't list all the films' and they may well differ from disc to disc.

Subtitles are limited to English only.

For twenty odd pounds (which is what I paid) it is excellent value, for ten hours of quality viewing. Just over £3 each - you can barely rent a DVD for that - and you get three of the most legendary films in French, no, World Cinema - and more.
VINE VOICEon 11 February 2013
I mostly bought this box set for The 400 Blows, for which I could not find another affordable and first hand copy. I was concerned that another reviewer suggested problems with subtitles vis-à-vis three unspecified films in the set; however, I found no issue and wonder if he has acquired a damaged copy or was reviewing the wrong product. François Truffaut is one of the most accessible of French New Wave directors; his finely structured narratives deploy understated characters and plot to evoke strong emotional resonances and unsentimental poignancy. My only criticism is the absence of two of my favourites of his movies: Fahrenheit 451 and The Wild Child. However wanting more is not a strong attack.
on 16 January 2012
Worth having in your collection for the 400 Blows and Jules & Jim - two of the most humane, perceptive and joyous films ever made. I also enjoyed Shoot the Pianist, and at the time of writing have yet to watch Anne and Muriel (often translated as "Two English Girls"). I was personally not so keen on the two films starring Fanny Ardant. I was happy to fork out 20 quid for this when the price finally came down; at the previous price of 60 quid plus, you could probably pick up the films individually for less.
on 12 January 2008
great box set if slightly overpriced at nearly £70
a great francois starter set for the buyer.
extras are a joy...especially the first short film by francois called *the brats* which is on the 400 blows disc. the cinematic shooting is atmospheric as always...id recommend you buy this if you have the spare dollars...but if not 400 blows would be the one to recommend if you couldnt afford this.
on 21 August 2014
Once you've seen more than a few of his films you feel a need to see them all. I had the good fortune to see most of these in tiny cinemas in Paris in the early 1990s and in between watching these walking the streets where Francois Truffaut grew up while reading his letters and memoir.
on 7 February 2013
I have not watched all of them yet, and would have liked Wild Child- L'enfant sauvage- to be included, which I bought separately. They seemed quite good value, and I struggle to find classic films or French films locally. The box includes Shoot the Pianist; The 400 Blows; Finally, Sunday!; The Woman Next Door; Anne and Muriel; and Jules and Jim. I have long been a Truffaut fan and saw most of them years ago when studying Film and Media. They are mostly PG, with 2 12s and a 15. In French with English subtitles.
on 6 November 2012
Excellent. I really enjoyed this collection which included some of his best work .
To me these are examples of French Cinema at its best .
on 6 January 2013
What Amazon don't tell you is that three of the films in this collection are not subtitled.

Not all us arthouse film types understand enough French.
99 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse