on 27 May 2010
Volume 2: Another nostlagic trip for me to rekindle my enjoyment of these absolutely wacky cartoons. And, quite extraordinarily, all three volumes of the compilations, although supposedly Region 1 only (US), play on region 2 DVD players (UK), too! And I've tried them on a number of different players with the same result.

What I like about the Animaniacs is that each 'episode' varied in content. It's never just the Animaniacs (the two Warner Brothers and their sister Dot) but other characters plus filler idiocy, too. The quality of the animation is excellent - these are not walking and talking heads cartoons but pretty full animation. And a full orchestra is used with music being specifically timed to the visuals, recreating the experience that I enjoyed in the 'golden days' of animation. A lot of the items have songs in them, these ranging from plain daft to rather clever and fast paced. The jokes, puns, songs, humour in general could be enjoyed by children and parents alike, as there's a lot of jokes and references to past classics, people and places.

If you like full animation, zany humour with some nostalgia, you will enjoy The Animaniacs. Highly recommended - enjoy!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 27 July 2015
I loved watching Animaniacs growing up and so I made the decision to purchase Volumes 1 & 2. These DVDs are listed as being encoded for Region 1 players but I can tell you first hand that I fortunately had no issue getting them to play on my Region 2 games console here in Ireland. So European Animaniacs fans, you're in luck!

Enjoy the adventures of Yakko, Wakko and Dot, the Goodfeathers, Pinky and the Brain, Slappy Squirrel, Buttons and Mindy, Chicken Boo and many more!

On this volume, some notable episodes include:

•Potty Emergency - Wakko goes to incredible lengths to relieve himself after drinking too much soda with hilarious results

•Moon Over Minerva - One of the handful of shorts featuring the infamous and rarely seen Minerva Mink

•Chairman of the Bored - Wakko meets the most boring man in the world at the party, and he drives the Warners crazy with his incessant rambling on inane topics in voice actor Ben Stein's trademark deadpan monotone

•Bubba Bo Bob Brain - The Brain decides to hypnotise the world through the guise of becoming a popular country music star

•Critical Condition - Slappy Squirrel goes to war with parodies of Siskel and Ebert after they give her cartoons a bad review

•Spellbound - A full 22 minute Pinky and the Brain short about an epic quest for a red dragon's toenail clippings!

•Raging Bird - The Goodfeathers do their version of Raging Bull/Rocky

•Video Review - The Warners feature in a video store where the movie titles come to life

Animaniacs is fast paced, zany fun. Don't hesitate to add to your collection!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again