Top positive review
167 people found this helpful
on 25 January 2007
The box set contains the four Python movies and a bunch of bonus disks
- And Now For Something Completely different is a terrifically funny collage of material taken from the first three seasons of the TV show. Made for American TV, this took most of the famous skits (notable exceptions being the Spanish Inquisition and the Ministry of Silly walks) and animations, and turned them into a wonderful stream-of-consciousness movie which is very reminiscent of the original TV show.
- Monthy Python and the Holy Grail is THE legendary movie! A beautiful pastiche of all the Arthurian legends with twists that only the Pythons could conceive (limbless loony knights, a witch hunt involving ducks, Knights who say meaningless yet terrifying word, and a killer rabbit, for starters) this has aged amazingly well, and still has teeth as sharp as the rabbit.
- Monty Python's Life of Brian documents the rise and fall of a man mistaken for a messiah (but I didn't need to tell you that, did I?). It declares all out war on religion, committees, and the gullibility of the needy masses. And, or course, Roman grammar. Recently voted the funniest film of all time for the umpteenth time, especially by cheesemakers, this one really delivers the laughs for those who like their comedy as irreverent as it is lunatic.
- Monty Python's Meaning of Life is an odd duck - part comedy, part musical, part pirate tale and part liver transplant documentary! A loose association of skits (many of which are absolute gold - a wafer-thin mint, anyone?) it is let down by a poor ending and a general lack of substance. The only one of the bunch that's less than excellent, this is a downbeat end to an amazing creative output for the world's funniest comedy team.
- The Personal Best is a taster for the six-disc set of "Personal Best" material from the TV show, and isn't much to write home about.
- The bonus disks are good, but most will buy the set for the superlative movies!
If you don't have this, ignore the silly price tag (a virtually identical set was half the price last year) and BUY this. You need it! You want it!
Just mind out for the rabbit.