5.0 out of 5 stars One not to be missed in your lifetime!!
You know you've watched your favourite film when, after watching it for maybe the dozenth time, it remains just as fresh and relevant as the first time you popped it into the dvd player.

Published on 10 Mar 2007 by T. Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Another variant on a familiar theme
As a fan of adventures that transcend the bounds of time (and a fan of Sandra Bullock), I was keen to watch this film, but I found it somewhat disappointing. The characters, setting, plot and its dénouement are reasonable enough, but I found the two-year gap between the characters' time frames, as well as the reason (if there was one) for their ability to...
Published on 16 Mar 2009 by Oxford Bookworm

5.0 out of 5 stars One not to be missed in your lifetime!!, 10 Mar 2007
T. Wilson "Tiddlywinx" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lake House [DVD] [2006] (DVD)

If you are a true romantic then this will blow you away. It has all the true makings of a classic love story with a twist. References are made to two other classics within the film 'Notorious' with Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman and the novel 'Persuasion' by Jane Austen, the latter becoming a link between the two main characters Alex and Kate.

It can certainly not be called predictable as you are left wondering till the very end what the outcome will be. Filmed in a minimalistic kind of way, the subtle yet powerful way the story unfolds will be in your thoughts for hours, even days, after you have watched it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A film to leave you thinking..., 10 Feb 2007
S. Barnes (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lake House [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
This is a thoughtful romantic film. It didn't blow me away, but there's some nice imagery going on in the footage and the storyline is clever.

The Lake House. The house built on a lake. Built some years ago by an architect before he became famous (Alex's father in fact). Kate and Alex, two young single people start writing to each people using the mailbox at the Lake House, the house where they have both lived. What makes this developing relationship unusual is that it is very difficult for Kate and Alex to meet because they are living 2 years apart, Alex in 2004 and Kate in 2006. A frustrating relationship!! As well as the house, they also share a dog, Jack. Can Alex keep a date that they make to see each other?

Good acting from Sandra Bullock & Keanu Reeves (I don't agree with the reviews that call Keanu wooden) - they suit the roles, and really get across the wistful & frustrating part of their on-screen romance.

However, am I only the only one who didn't quite get the ending? The end isn't what I was expecting at all, and to my mind is also inconsistent with the rest of the film. I don't want to give too much plot away but I can't help thinking it could have ended better... Worth watching though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and mesmerizing..., 24 Sep 2006
M. Ivanova "i_am_she_wolf" (London, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lake House [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I disagree with person before me. Although the review very well explains the film, and I got the feeling that the film was liked, it was still given only 2 stars.

I, on the other hand, found this film very romantic and beautifully shot, the acting is really good! The film is full of surprises and you never know what next page of their correspondence is going to bring you. You can feel their love, their joy and their pain... This film is one of the rare ones that make you feel like you in there with them, it's open but intimate enough...

The feeling that they share, being single and lonely and of alike minds, I wish I had a soulmate like that somewhere, even if 2 years apart...

It reminded me "Sweet November" and "City of Angels", got the same feeling to it... Love story with sadness to it, and impossibility being together... Although in Lake House they got together in the end, and I'm so happy for them.

If you like that kind of film, you will definitely love this one, I highly recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly good film, 27 May 2008
Dr Evil (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
`The Lake House' is a romantic drama about two lonely characters - Alex Wyler (Keanu Reeves) and Kate Forster (Sandra Bullock) . Alex owns a glass lake house on the outskirts of Chicago and when he moves out, Kate begins to rent it from him. When Alex first moves in he finds a letter in the mailbox from Kate with details about the house. They return numerous letters to one another and it turns out that Kate is living two years in the future from Alex. A deep love affair begins through the letters and their eagerness to meet each other becomes too much. But how can the lovers with time holding them apart finally get together?

I'm not much of a fan of romance films, so I must admit when my girlfriend put this in the player to watch last night I wasn't too happy, but as we'd already seen Indiana Jones and Transformers that weekend, I thought it was best to go along with it and keep my mouth shut. By the end of the film I was so surprised with how much I actually enjoyed the film. The characters were all very good and likeable and the whole question of how they will ever meet each other was extremely tense and exciting. There was a few bits that were fairly obvious in the storyline, which after seeing the end, made me wonder if they were intentional as they worked on these points and gave them a really good twist at the end. Also (like when watching Back to the Future), some of the story made my head hurt when thinking about it too much (such as naming the dog), so I'd recommend not thinking about it that much as it will have you going round in circles!

The picture and sound quality were absolutely superb, as I'd expect from Blu Ray and in particular Warner Brothers, who seem to be the best when it comes to quality of Blu Ray discs.

Overall this is a beautiful and engrossing story that is fairly short, so doesn't have enough time to drag on at all. Definitely one I'd recommend for a cosy night in and one that I'll be watching again and will recommend to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic, romantic, romantic !, 10 Nov 2006
Tia Susanna (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lake House [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
What a beautiful film ! Dare I use the word "touching" ? Be prepared to let the central conceit just wash over you (it sort-of makes sense if you think in "narrative time", following the sequence of events as they unfold on screen). Having accepted that two people separated by two years of calendar time can, nevertheless, have a conversation by letter, you want to see how their relationship develops. The acting, though understated, is brilliant. Keanu is on "slow burn" - and you can feel the intensity when the main characters get to dance. If you want to look for plot holes, and anticipate plot twists you can, but my advice is to go along for the ride and ENJOY.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 11 April 2007
Bezerus Bezby "Bez" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Lake House [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Please do not pick apart this film too much. Yes there are flaws in the plotline, but essentially, it is a lovely story which is a joy to watch. Two people communicate via letters left at a lakehouse and soon realise that they are two years apart. I have to admit that I saw the end coming a mile off, but actually, this was quite pleasant as it ended just as I wanted it to.

My sister put me off this film by telling me that it is sickly rubbish. Well if it is, I don't care as it is such a nice film and makes you feel happy to watch it. There is nothing wrong with a good old fashioned love story and this ticks all those boxes............enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars A proper Chick Flick with a Hanky, 31 Mar 2007
J. Heasman (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lake House [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
The first 1/2 hour was a bit confusing but once you picked up on what was going on, it was great. It reminded me of sixth sense in that it lal clicked into place and the end and I had to get a big tissue and have a sob.

Worth watching it again to pick up on the bits you missed first time round!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hang on in...it's worth it, 4 Nov 2006
This review is from: The Lake House [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
It seemed to take quite a while to get going and the plot was a bit confusing in places and yes I agree with the other reviewers that it is far-fetched but for all that it is worth sticking with.

The Lake House doesn't try to be any more than a romantic feelgood movie and as such it succeeds really well. There was a quiet chemistry between the Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves characters, I did care about them and wanted everything to work out well for them. It's a good fantasy movie with stunning photography and likeable characters. Definately worth sticking with but you do need to concentrate - fall asleep and you've had it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this movie....., 6 Dec 2006
O. Doyle "celticshedevil" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lake House [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I'm a huge Keanu fan and have always enjoy Sandra Bullock's movies so when The Lake House came out I plowed a path to the video shop. This is the kind of feel-good movie that you watch with a nice glass of wine, a box of chocolates and a little bit of imagination. Ok so the plot isn't very plausible but that wasn't the point of the movie for me.,....it's all about waiting.....and hoping you'll meet that special someone that you know is out there waiting for you.

The synopsis tells you all you need to know about the movie so there's no need for me to repeat it. What I do need to say is that this is one of those romantic movies that you really should watch and judge for yourself. It reminded me very much of Audrey Niffeneggers book `The Time Traveler's Wife' and that hit my list of all-time favourite books fairly rapidly. I see The Lake House reaching the same heights on my all-time favourite dvd list.

I thought the chemistry between Keanu and Sandra was fantastic in the Lake House and I don't know why they haven't made more movies together. They remind me of Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle (before Meg went for the bubble-lips look). They're just two people that work really well together and make a movie into a great movie.

If you like romantic movies then you'll love The Lake House. It gets 5 stars from me that's for sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Watch this *before* The Notebook, 5 Feb 2008
This review is from: The Lake House [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
If you don't waste energy on timeline pedantry, The Lakehouse is a wonderful film. It's gentle and heart-warming and completely lovely... but I watched it expecting it to have the same emotional impact as The Notebook and it was miles off. It's horribly unfair to compare movies in this way, but it's hard not to in this case because the similarities are unavoidable.

Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves are marvellous leads, and you find yourself genuinely invested in their getting together; the acting throughout is great, and the cinematography is often beautiful. Some of the shots of Chicago are breath-taking, and the actual lakehouse surrounded by Autumn leaves is gorgeous. Really, I have no complaints *whatsoever* - I just wish I'd watched it prior to seeing The Notebook as my expectations wouldn't have been so high.

The only way to describe the difference is like this: If The Notebook is a piece of chocolate, The Lakehouse is a piece of diet chocolate. It's still really nice, and if you hadn't tasted the other one, you'd love it, but because you know how good it *can* be, it's left you feeling slightly unsatisfied. None of this may be very fair to The Lakehouse. 3 months ago, I would have given this delightful film 5 stars, but when it's next to its superior alternative, it just doesn't quite cut it.

That being said, it really is an enjoyable film - it's for anyone who's a romantic at heart. Snuggle on your sofa on a Sunday afternoon with a crochet blanket, a cup of tea and some chocolates (not diet), and you'll have a wonderful time.

The Lake House [DVD] [2006]
The Lake House [DVD] [2006] by Alejandro Agresti (DVD - 2006)