I bought the Vivitar DVR-530 camcorder as I wanted a cheap, small, light weight camcorder capable of 640x480 resolution to mount on my scooter for taking clips at rallies. I needed it to be cheap so that if it was damaged I wouldn't worry too much I wasn't too bothered about the quality as it'd mainly be for you-tube uploading.

Having had the DVR-530 for a few...
Published on 15 May 2008 by C. Sheppard

Published on 31 Jan. 2009 by A. L. Stannard

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, cheap and cheerful. Good quality for price., 15 May 2008
C. Sheppard (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vivitar DVR530 Digital Camcorder - Silver (Electronics)

Having had the DVR-530 for a few days now, I think I would be quite sad if it got damaged as it is a pretty decent camera considering the cost. The video quality on the highest quality settings is decent, though the recording time even on a 1GB card is limited (as with most camcorders of this type).

The LCD screen is clear and the menu's easy to navigate once you get used to the buttons you need to use to do so. A quick perusal of the manual sorted that out.

The camcorder comes with several quality settings. It is capable of recording in 640x480 or 320x240 resolution at 30fps. There are three compression settings. Superfine -offering the best quality but lowest compression, fine, and normal. As an example, recording at 640x480 with compression set to fine gives about 41minutes of recording time on a 1GB card. Enough for taking clips of an event and the quality is still good.

The lens is fixed focus from 0.7metres to infinity but the camcorder does offer a macro lens which enables capture at close distance, most useful for stills photography.

Due to the 5megapixel CMOS a 4x digital zoom function is available in both video and still mode. The stills photography function offers decent quality pictures at 5 megapixel resolution, and has a flash function.

The sound recording on video mode appears to be fairly good quality although when I mounted the camera on my scooter and went for a short test ride, the resulting video had an annoying clicking noise which I later pinned down to the thumb toggle switch which rattles when the camcorder is shaken, and must have been rattling with the vibrations. Not a problem in normal use, but could still cause the odd click on the recording if the camcorder is moved quickly.

The camcorder itself is very light, weighing less than 200g with battery and SD card. Because of it's lightness it feels a little cheap - but then it is after all!! It's very easy to carry around and slips nicely in a jeans pocket.

The battery lasted about an hour after getting it straight out of the box with no recharge. I have not yet charged it back up.

The camcorder can also play MP3's, capture audio (such as voice memos), can record from live TV broadcasts (using AV in socket) and be used as a webcam using the USB cable... none of which I've yet tried.

In the pack with the camcorder you get a battery, mini tripod, AV and USB cables, driver and video editing software, and battery charger.

We own a decent Sony camcorder but I can see the little Vivitar getting used more often simply due to its small size and light weight compared to the big lump of the Sony. The Vivitar is deal for most casual circumstances. Given a wedding or anywhere where a longer record time is needed the Sony will get used instead though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great video camera but you do get what you pay for, 14 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Vivitar DVR530 Digital Camcorder - Silver (Electronics)
Great little digital camcorder that is lightweight and uses SD cards to record to.
I bought this for my daughters 9th birthday as she had taken an interest in making short video diaries. This camera is great. The viewing screen rotates 180 degrees so you can see yourself, it has digital zoom (not very good though) and a lithium battery. All round I gave this 5 stars even though it looks a bit cheap and lacks any advanced features but then it only costs £40. What more can you ask?

2.0 out of 5 stars Great camcorder, but kept crashing, then stopped booting completely after 2 weeks!, 31 Jan. 2009
A. L. Stannard (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vivitar DVR530 Digital Camcorder - Silver (Electronics)
I agree with the previous reviews that this camcorder offers great value for money, in terms of features and image quality, which I found to be quite sharp. As also mentioned, the battery life was pretty good, I was able to get about 2.5 hrs of continuous filming, although it should be born in mind that battery life is should be stated lower in product specs because battery capacity usually diminishes with aging.

The problem I experienced with my unit was that it would crash frequently - sometimes when I turned it on, and it would go to the camcorder mode, but the image would be at some strange over-zoomed size (on turn on, normally it should be un-zoomed, and this was a zoom that looked like 10x or more, way outside what you should be able to get!). When trying to film in this strange mode, suddenly the camera would crash, and not respond to any button. The only way to regain control was to remove the battery, wait for a minute, then put back in. Sometimes you would return to this strange super-zoomed mode, so you'd have to keep removing the battery and replacing again, until you had normal functional operation. I used my camera for about 10 times, taking approx 100 pictures and 4.5 hrs of video - after 2 weeks, it simply failed to boot, halting at the Vivitar splash screen, and requiring removal of the battery to turn off. I cannot comment on whether this was just a one-off bad camera, or whether the DVR530 is plagued with bad firmware (if latter, then I would have said 1 star!) - eCom Cameras Ltd kindly sent me a Vivitar Vivicam 7500i as a replacement - a nice upgrade some might say, however that lacks the useful tripod mounting point and rotating screen that this Camcorder has, indeed the reason I bought the DVR530, so I can conveniently record myself playing guitar/piano. Nevermind! Better something than nothing! (Unless that starts crashing)...

3.0 out of 5 stars not great, 9 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Vivitar DVR530 Digital Camcorder - Silver (Electronics)
bought as a gift for my daughter-she really liked it,especially the special effects feature and the camcorder.however after about six months the whole thing just froze and nothing worked on it.