5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Place to Start
Published on 19 Dec 2007 by Robbie Swale

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what you'd expect from Lexicon!
Lexicon is a big name in studio gear famous for top quality reverb's - this product is only worthy of infamy.

Published 6 months ago by Steventon

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Place to Start, 19 Dec 2007
Robbie Swale - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lexicon Alpha Studio USB Audio Interface (Electronics)
I bought the Lexicon Alpha to record music onto my computer as a complete beginner, and I must say it is perfect in this situation. It has inputs for electric instruments, microphone and external music players. It comes with a USB connector to the computer, and so doesn't need any power supply, and most importantly from my point of view, it comes with a version of Cubase software - albeit a toned down version with only 8 tracks and limited number of MP3s you can create - which allows you to get going straight away (as long as you've got a microphone and the instruments!). The manual provides good, clear instructions to get started, and I must admit I have no complaints whatsoever about the Lexicon Alpha. I thoroughly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Garage Band on a Mac, 14 Feb 2013
This review is from: Lexicon Alpha Studio USB Audio Interface (Electronics)
I have very limited knowledge when it come to using this kind of equipment, but I do know that I had been looking for something for a while that I could use to record a bit of guitar with Garage Band on my Macbook.
Well this works a treat. Not additional software, Open Garage Band, wait for it to load, plug in USB lead and agree to Lexicon being used for input / output.
Easy.Feels like good quality too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart little interface., 1 April 2013
This review is from: Lexicon Alpha Studio USB Audio Interface (Electronics)
Separate lines in for guitar and mic. Monitor mix is very accurate.
Driver software is good and simple to install but packaged software Cubase 5LE is a nightmare to install/register. Finally gave up and downloaded Audacity and a few add-ons - interfaced immediately with the Alpha system and using it daily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly useful, 12 May 2011
This review is from: Lexicon Alpha Studio USB Audio Interface (Electronics)
I bought this in a hurry because I was in a spot with a film sound recording job and needed to get digital audio into a buggy Vista laptop which could barely handle standard analogue audio playback let alone record high quality 24-bit digital audio to Cubase. I thought I would use it once and end up re-selling it at a loss.

It has turned out to be so surprisingly useful that I still have it months later and I am really impressed with the additional degree of flexibility and simplicity that it has added to my main studio setup (Windows XP Pro PC) as well as the vast improvement in quality and functionality on the occasions I have had to run recording programmes on that blasted laptop.

The thing itself feels light and plasticky but the actual build quality is respectable enough with good sockets and smooth controls. I love that the thing is powered directly from the USB port as it's one less thing to switch off and unplug when I shut the computer down, and it looks pretty good. The lack of phantom power means that I have to use an external preamp for my studio mic but for the rest of the time, unless I'm doing a live multitrack recording, I don't really need to bother switching on my mixer. In fact I've put it away for a while and freed up some valuable desk space! Looks a lot neater and gets 24-bit balanced audio from any source directly to the heart of my DAW without going through the usual chain of analogue outboard. It also allows my dodgy laptop to run a lot more smoothly as the audio ins and outs are converted externally by the interface freeing up more CPU power for the DAW.

I also like the monitor mix control, gives you real time, easily balanced live monitoring between the inputs and the rest of the mix which circumvents latency issues.

I paid full price for this because it was cheapest thing I could get hold of that would get good balanced audio into my laptop, and I would say it's probably worth the money I paid. At the discounted prices on Amazon it's an absolute no-brainer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product for the beginner, 3 Nov 2008
This review is from: Lexicon Alpha Studio USB Audio Interface (Electronics)
I wanted to start recording some songs at home to backing tracks to use as demos and my other half wanted to record guitar tracks. After searching Amazon for mixers that we could plug my mic into and he could use to record his guitar through, I came across this product. Based on the first review by Robbie Swale, I bought the Lexicon Alpha expecing great things. I was certainly not disappointed.

You upload the software to your pc/laptop and link up the mixer by USB with no DC adapter required! Import a backing track, switch on your mic/instrument and away you go.

Admitedly it took a little longer for me to process & edit the tracks I recorded but that was because I have never used recording software before.

It was simple to use (the instructions are your friends), and produces really good results and even reduces any time delay in your recording for you. I cannot wait to use it again. I would definitely recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect!, 2 Dec 2010
M. G. Price - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lexicon Alpha Studio USB Audio Interface (Electronics)
Firstly, it took me less than 30 minutes to un-box and set up with very clear instructions. I bought it to upgrade from the internal sound-card in my Acer Windows Vista Basic laptop. I already use Cubase 5 so I was slightly worried that when installing I would have to install Cubase LE 4 but I didn't and actually had the control to install the vst pantheon reverb module to use with my current Cubase. I think I saw a review complaining about not having zero latency, not sure this is strictly possible, I definitely haven't had any noticeable latency problems.

The only thing lacking for me is a separate headphone level adjust, which would save me having to adjust monitors pre-amp. I guess this is just me being lazy though!

I would definitely suggest this product to anyone interested in an usb audio interface!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what you'd expect from Lexicon!, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Lexicon Alpha Studio USB Audio Interface (Electronics)

OK it is cheap, but, it turns out it has a very annoying feature - if you put the host computer to 'sleep' (standby) - on Win 8 for me, but on Win7 for others after searching on-line - then when you wake the PC this unit will not grab bus power and remain powered off. Only a re-start / shutdown cycle or pulling out and re-inserting the USB cable fires it back up. That's too annoying for me to live with. To add to this apparently Lexicon are aware of it and have no intent to fix it and overall terrible rating for support.

Although you can directly monitor the latency (buffer size) performance before you get pops and clicks is also weak and although the box is nice and solid the controls are nasty.

This is going back and I'll just have to fork out more for something that actually works properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price, 19 April 2013
This review is from: Lexicon Alpha Studio USB Audio Interface (Electronics)
This is a great product, i got this for some one who's just starting to get into music production , I was very surprised how good it was , and would recommend it for any one starting out. It's well built and easy to set up and great value for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lexicon Alpha USB audio interface., 23 May 2011
Edward Bain - See all my reviews
UPDATED.

i use it for my laptop. Awesome. better quality recording, relatively cheap, small, has almost everything i need.

Pros-
good quality, easy to use, portable, can be used for a lot (i use it as the default sound device for my laptop now- reduces/stops audio problems i was having before buying when doing a lot in my music software.)
only requires usb power.
despite another reviewer, it works on all my 64bit systems, thats windows 7, ubuntu 10.04-11.10, and a macbook pro on lion.

Cons-
not really that many inputs. only really useful when recording overdubs and solo stuff, but thats in the spec, not really a fault.
no phantom power for condenser mics. this is understandable, as it runs from usb power only, but i use condenser mics so coupled this with a Behringer MIC100, awesome combo.

my recording set up-
Acer Aspire 5742 i5 laptop (could be better... not great performance or audio reliability, despite spec.)<-old. im now using macbook, works fine still.
Lexicon Alpha
Behringer MIC100
Audio Technica AT2020
used for vocals, acoustic guitar, and D.I electric bass & guitar without the mic.

had it nearly a year, rough abuse, still going strong.

5.0 out of 5 stars audio interface for all you mac users, 16 Mar 2011
This review is from: Lexicon Alpha Studio USB Audio Interface (Electronics)
after reading all the reviews i decided to buy this product to do some home recording and all i have to say it's great.I f you have a mac you can link straight up to garage band without having to load up the Q-base software that comes with it or any plug ins as it recognises it straight away.

so to all you p.c. users out there bwah ha ha ha

Lexicon Alpha Studio USB Audio Interface