on 28 April 2007
Given the specifications and the very reasonable price (£62 - Amazon), the V100 gives a lot of performance for the price. Scanned documents, negatives and transparencies are reproduced well.

The myriad of software applications that come with it are supported badly, and there is no "getting started" help for the hardware either, in paper or in software. A search of Epson's website revealed a very helpful document which described what the buttons did and how to remove bits to scan negatives, which is not intuitive. The button icons are surreal and the plastic frames are fragile and easily broken if you try and work things out by trail and error. This "starter's guide" should be included with the unit and not hidden in the website.

The user guides accessed by clicking on "help" in the applications are of the "this button starts this effect" variety, which although logically correct, are about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard, and don't tell you when or how or what it could be used for. A few tutorials could be included.

So if you buy the unit, make sure you have lots of time spare to experiment with it and then when you have become proficient with it the user guides may make sense.
on 9 May 2007
Only bought this scanner yesterday, and have already scanned hundreds of old transparencies to a more than acceptable picture quality. OK there is no paperbased help, but no new hardware products seem to have this these days, just online help! An average PC user such as myself, could get to grips with this in a matter of a couple of hours of playing around. I didn't bother with the picture editing software, as I use Photshop, but if you have no software, the one in the bundle is fine. And use the "professional" seting, much easier to get a good quality picture/image whatever you want to call them! The price is good, the next one on the shelf was another epsom (can't remember the model) but was twice the price...The only difference was the ability to scan larger format transparencies/film. Most of us would only have 35mm stuff to scan. A professional would use a more expensive model to get the quality.

In conclusion, I am dead chuffed with this scanner and glad I bought it!!
Having unearthed a load of 35mm slides from my youth (in the 60's and 70's) I was not sure what to do... buy a new projector [but where to project them?], get them scanned in a shop [50p each... not a good idea with several 100!] ... or buy a Scanner. Which one? How about the amazingly reasonably priced Epson V100?
Well. It is superb. Straight out of the box, loaded the software, plugged it in, made a couple of mistakes [Note: perfectly good manual - if only I bothered to read it...], and now I have scanned (and dedusted and corrected the colour etc.) the slides from my 21st birthday - long lost grand-parents, relatives, friends - all now back in excellent reproductions - and soon to grace a web-site!
Very good quality - and excellent value for money.
Thank you Epson for bringing back the memories of my youth.
on 3 July 2007
I bought the Epson Perfection V100 Photo Scanner specifically to scan transparencies. It is brilliant for this job I have already scanned over 1,000 transparencies dating from the 50s onwards, I am delighted to say they have all come out very well. I have also scanned some art work I have done for making into Christmas Cards these are also very good. All in all I have found this scanner very easy to use, even for someone who, like me, is not particularly good with machines. I would not hesitate in recommending the machine to anyone who was thinking of buying a scanner in the near future.
on 29 August 2007
'Had this a few months now. Great value for money (at £70).

Fast preview and scan, high resolution, handsome silver design. But why doesn't it scan the whole of the flatbed? Slide a photo into the corner edges of the scanner bed and you'll lose 2-3mm or so, on both x and y axis on two edges of your scan! You have to slide your photos away from the edges to catch the whole area. If I were scanning a lot of photos (without borders) then I'd need to wedge something against the edges if I wanted 100% area scans.

Software is OK but only allows you to save (and delete) scanner settings (such as resolution, document type, etc) as "Current setting", "Setting 1", "Setting 2", and so on - you can't (re-)name the setting with something you'll remember!

Also, if you select the "Photo"-type scan option in the Professional scan mode (recommended) then the software automangley selects "Auto Exposure" and "Unsharp Mask", which, being the scan professional that I am, are options that I only wish to worry about once my scan reaches Photoshop! (You can unselect these options, but you have to do this each time you scan.)

The default scan has a very slight pinky colour cast (scan something neutral gray to show it) which you can, I assume, change software settings to compensate for (but I haven't got around to/haven't needed to calibrate out yet).

Small gripes, nonetheless, for a satisfying machine.
on 15 December 2009
Best scanner i have ever had does everything for you when on auto.Epson Perfection V100 Photo Scanner
on 24 March 2013
A recommended scanner, arrived in record time, worked straight out of the box and still looking good. All good here
on 2 June 2014
did a fantastic job at first and easy to use but soon got 'tired' and needed a rest. Wouldn't recommend it now
on 12 October 2015
Great scanner, will scan anything you want, and is compatible with Windows XP, 8.1 and 10.
on 19 July 2010
This has proved to be a first class scanner including scanning slides. Would recommend