4.0 out of 5 stars Good all-rounder and excellent value for money, 18 May 2007
Gerald Walters "Gerry Walters" (Derby, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Stylus D88 Plus Printer (Electronics)
If you're someone who needs to print a mixture of documents and photographs then this printer is a really good choice. Text and document graphics are very crisp on plain copier paper. I would say text is as near laser quality as you're going to see from an inkjet. Epson Durabrite printers are sensitive to the media that you're printing on. Photographs printed on Epson Heavy Matte paper are outstanding. Colour rendering is very good and detailing is incredible. My wife runs a Lexmark; the Epson really delivers on photographic detail that the Lexmark loses. I'm told this is down to Lexmark's thermal inkjet vs. Epson's micro piezo print head. On the other hand, the Epson struggles to deliver really well saturated colour on glossy papers. Again, this is because of Epson's printing system and inks. The ink doesn't adhere to the glossy surface very well.

I can't knock the printer on operating cost. The cartridges supplied with the printer run out very quickly but a multipack replacement set is reasonably priced (approx £25) and lasts very well. I've lost count of the number of 10x8 photos printed from the current set. The ink-low warning kicks in pretty early but it's only a warning and can be ignored until a cartridge shows as empty, so don't be in a hurry to replace the cartridge as soon as you get the warning (though it's a good time to buy some spares).

If like me you like matte (ie non-reflective) photographs rather than glossies then this is a five star printer; if you want glossies, then it only rates a two or three; on balance, I give it four stars for excellent document printing; excellent matte photographs and reasonable operating costs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Epson D88 Printer, 13 Sep 2010
This review is from: Epson Stylus D88 Plus Printer (Electronics)
Does as it says. Got it to replace earlier Epson printer as I thought it was faulty with printing black smudges on the end of the envelope. Found that this one did the same! it turned out to be the envelopes they were of reasonable quality but the need to be very flat before printing on. I now iron the envelopes and leave them pressed under a box before using. Even now some will not print without black marks but again its the envelope not the printer at fault.

4.0 out of 5 stars EpsonD88, 14 Jun 2013
This review is from: Epson Stylus D88 Plus Printer (Electronics)
I have been using my Epson Stylus D88 for about 5 years with no problems, I print letters, posters, photos etc, I find the cartridges through on-line as they are cheaper than many other makes of printers. Unfortunately it has now gone wrong and have been told to buy a new printer might be cheaper than repair, I'm waiting for a verdict, in the meantime I have several packs of Inkjet cartridges to use up or 'sell' ! I have been printing today (some photos and a couple of posters, replaced 2 ink cartridges, then went to print more and zilch! I have 2 flashing lights alternating (red) on the button panel 3 in a row, the left and middle ones [the right one is green 'on button'].

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Aug 2014
B. J. Clarke (Wirral, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Stylus D88 Plus Printer (Electronics)
great once you learn how to crack and reset the spool counter

Epson Stylus D88 Plus Printer