on 17 March 2008
- Good Price
- Power Connection does not fit properly (falls out a lot). Possible machining error on th eplastic cable cover.
- A little slow to print compared to other (similar) printers
- No USB cable provided
on 15 October 2008
The printer will not work if one colour is out, ie will not print black if yellow is out and does not allow generic types of ink to be used so only expensive EPSON ink is allowable.
on 12 November 2007
Scanner & printer are good. Much better than the Dell I had, which ended up as a trampoline (providing a very satisfying workout after the Nth paper jam). It has been working well for the last 6 months. Mainly used by my kids for the school work.
on 10 October 2009
This was originally picked up by my parents to replace their ancient Stylus Colour 440.

They do very little in the way of printing, and needless to say were rather surprised when after what seemed like only two minutes, the ink ran out.

Due to financial constraints, it was a couple of months until they were able to get replacement ink cartridges (the generics from Tesco and PC World do NOT work in this one).

...new ink in...and we had glorious streaky output in magenta and cyan only. No amount of cleaning will cure this - the only conclusion we've been able to come to is that the ink has dried on the heads in the period of disuse - something which 10 years or so ago Epson inkjets were known for. This fault renders the printer basically scrap - and as they've lost the receipt, they're stuck without a printer after it's printed a grand total of about 50 pages!

It's also worth noting that Linux support for Epson printers is sketchy at best, with no facility for checking ink levels through the software...and as there's no readout on the printer to tell you which one's out...you have a choice of either using Windows, or replacing the cartridges by trial and error. Come on Epson...If HP can give us proper Linux support, so can you!

I've now donated my parents my old, heavily used HP PSC2179 which after six years is still working like the day it was made...and costs pennies to run in comparison.

I've seen a lot of people saying "this printer's fine for occasional use" which based on the ink costs seems a sensible thought - however my own experiences with what happens if it sits unused for a couple of months tend to suggest otherwise.

All in all, occasional use or not, I wouldn't touch this one with a very long barge pole.

I'd recommend anyone looking for a printer has a look at the offerings from other suppliers, in particular HP. This may only cost GBP40 - but it costs that for a very good reason, and it's honestly not worth it.
on 11 February 2010
As this is a review, and not solely an opportunity to gripe, i will start off by saying that for an all-in-one Machine, it's capable for most needs. I even had some half-decent photo's printed on Photo Paper. The problem for me started when the ink ran out. From my experience, you either have to accept Epson's monopoly on Ink Cartridges, or look elsewhere. I've tried several different so-called compatible Cartridges, and this Printer has rejected them all. The 1st set of Original Cartridges lasted about a week, which, for about 50% of the cost of the Printer itself is nothing short of punitive.

I needed to print off some documents, so i relented and brought a Genuine Epson Ink cartridge to replace the empty one. That too throws up the dreaded "incompatible" message, so, i give up!

Epson claims that using compatible Inks compromises quality- maybe it does, but that should be up to the consumer, not the manufacturer. There are enough quality compatible inks on the market nowadays to seriously challenge Epson's so-called invincible originals, and Epson knows this- hence the Lock- in to their Brand!

I know Epson are not alone in this practise, but i'll never again be held to ransom like this. I shall now go to the local Tip, and take this garbage to where it belongs!

Thanks to Amazon for their usual faultless service. My package arrived both well packaged and in good time.
on 14 September 2008
This printer is very good for the money and easy to install. It's not the quickest but it gets the job done. The separate colour ink carts will save you money and last long enough. You can get hold of ink carts very cheaply but sometimes the printer will detect a non genuine cart and reject it! If you are using it for photocopying bear in mind that you can only copy one sheet at a time. If you want 5 copies of something you will have to wait until each copy is done before you can press the copy button again! The lack of sheet feeder also makes photocopying more than one sheet time consuming for the same reason. I had this printer for a while but changed it to an brother MFC 5440 due to increased photocopying usage (has sheet feeder and you can tell it to copy a document how ever many times).
This printer will print photos and other documents very well but it is quite slow at max quality / dpi.
on 15 November 2009
Hi.

I bought this a while ago, and at first was very pleased. It is, however a thirsty beast and whilst I don't know the cost per page I wouldn't be at all suprised if it was on the high side.

I think we've had it for just over a year, and now it has gone and broke - nothing obviously wrong with it, it just decided to stop feeding pages one day.

It seemed cheap, but it seems to me to be false economy. I think I may try an HP 8500 next.
on 11 January 2009
This is my third Epson printer - and they've all had the same problem - they EAT ink.

If you're looking for a printer do not under estimate this. The scanner, photocopier and printer all do a good job on the DX, and they're not expensive, but at nearly £40 a set the cost of ink's a stitch up.

As others reviewers have said, it also stops printing in black and white when a colour cartridge runs out - this will drive you mad!
on 11 March 2008
We were looking for a printer but having purchased this thing 6 months ago I think that we aquired another pet. A nasty pet that sits in the corner amusing itself chugging away wasting expensive ink and chewing up paper.we have spent £40 on ink and probably have only printed 20 documents.If any one of the colours runs out it wont print untill its replaced- thats another £20.Looking for a replacement.
on 15 September 2008
The DX4000 when it works prints quite well BUT:
It really gobbles up ink fast, genuine ink is expensive.
Stops working when just one colour is low.
1 or 2 colours randomly stop working, now permanently (and despite best cleaning efforts).
Very noisey and clunky.